** Widescreen TFT Monitors Due 2005/06 **

Soldato
Gaijin said:
Cheers mate - was exactly what i was after. However on further research it looks like they wont be bringing the DVI-D model to these shores (Acer 24” AL2416Wd) only the poopy Dsub one (Acer 24” AL2416Ws)

Looks like it may be the 2405 now then :(

And indeed it was - got the 2405 and what a bonza monitor it is :p

Xbox looks tasty on it too :D

Associate
I see that the first batch of monitors are listed on the ViewSonic website, but I think I'm going to hold fire until the VX2022W is released.

no asking for competitors please

Soldato
The thing I don't get is why are they not bring out more large screens with good specs at a more useable native screen resolution the likes of 1024/768 or 1280/720. All them other resolutions are great and all but if you can't run things or see anything in them whats the point?

Associate
Orcish-Horde said:
The thing I don't get is why are they not bring out more large screens with good specs at a more useable native screen resolution the likes of 1024/768 or 1280/720. All them other resolutions are great and all but if you can't run things or see anything in them whats the point?

It would be good to also know what non-widescreen 20"+ LCDs are coming to market in 2006 as well. I would actually prefer a 1600x1200 res rather then widescreen.

Soldato
The thing about 1600x1200 is that every time the next gen of games come out your going to be playing them in the non native res if you don't the latest gfx cards with all the bells on them. This is ok if your loaded but the average joe blog isn't. I myself have always likes 1024/768, maybe one of the manufactures will start a range of screens with a native res that goes up in stages like 3 different natives to each screen size.

Something like 24" 1600x1200 / 24" 1280x1024 / 24" 1024/768. With prices to match .....

Soldato
the problem with that is that it wouldnt work. those resolutions aren't widescreen for a start so you can forget about your circles being circles lol, and everything would look massively overblown with pixels everywhere on a low res 24" screen.

Soldato
james.miller said:
the problem with that is that it wouldnt work. those resolutions aren't widescreen for a start so you can forget about your circles being circles lol, and everything would look massively overblown with pixels everywhere on a low res 24" screen.

That was but an exsample to put my point across but you would find that them resolution are far from low. You need only look at the Xbox360 to see that super high resolutions are not needed to make things look good. The same hold true with the PC there is no need to run a game in 1600x1200 as it will look the same as 1280x1024 or even 1152x864 give or take how good your eyes are. Which is why I would like to see screens of the same size with different native screen resolutions, as not everyone wants to strain their eye trying to read HD tiny text. ;)

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
It would probably look similar to the 20" TVs with a VGA input and a res of about 640x480 - these have rather poor image quality when displaying an image from a PC

I would say your abit of the mark with that, in fact what are you going on about?

Associate
Personally i wish that they would increase the resolution of displays not decrease them! The higher the resolution the more desktop space you have and the crisper things look. I currently use a 22" CRT at 1600x1200 and i would love to move up to a 1920x1200 widescreen TFT, this would be soo great for using photoshop/AutoCad type programs. Plus it could also nativly play 1080 video without scaling :)

With respect to games, i think that many games look far better at 1600x1200 than at lower res, even if you do have to lower the settings slightly. With running at higher resolutions there is also less need for AA which can make the performance about the same.

Associate
I might go for the Dell 24 inch as i am looking for the connections , not sure if viewsonic will do the below on the new models , my viewsonic 19" VX912B has been a great monitor but i want a change

AC power cord connector
2 DC power connector for Dell™ Sound Bar
3 S-Video connector
4 Composite video connector
5 Component video connectors
6 DVI connector
7 VGA connector
8 USB upstream port
9 USB downstream ports

Soldato
Orcish-Horde said:
I would say your abit of the mark with that, in fact what are you going on about?

Not quite sure what you mean there

Often LCD TVs are shipped with cheaper, lower resolution panels. You mentioned that you wanted panels with a lower native resolution - these panels have a lower native resolution

Due to the inherent low resolution and poorer quality of TV signals having a low native resolution on a TV panel can actually be beneficial as it avoids scaling and it avoids focusing on the imperfections in the signal

When you display a standard output from a computer (eg the Windows desktop) the quality displayed is rather poor, hence my comment. I'd therefore say that having a low native resolution when used for windows work is a bad idea. You really want to have a higher native resolution as the pixels are smaller giving a better image

Associate
Hi, i'm new...

Anyway, i'm quite interested in buying the Viewsonic VA1912W, probably in January sometime because the current monitor i'm using is slowly dying. I'm wondering if any of you are already using it or could help me in whether or not it's a good TFT screen, since this will be the first TFT screen i'll be buying (whether it's the Viewsonic or not).

I'm interested in buying a Widescreen TFT because i hear they are quite good to have for games and movies and currently the Viewsonic is topping my get list because it seems like a relatively good budget TFT screen.

Can anyone help on whether i should go for the Viewsonic or not?

Associate
I may be wrong, but i belive the Acer AL1916W uses the same panel (but vga only). The thing that puts me off the viewsonic is the cheap look (especially the cheap looking buttons). Im looking for the Fujitsu-Siemens 19” Scaleoview W19-1 which seems to use the same panel again, but damned if i can find a uk seller for it. Looks abit more presentable and hopefully not to pricey if it gets widly sold over here.

Failing that, the belinia 20" widescreen, but that doesnt seem to have the 1:1 non scalling modes :/

Associate
The Acer reviews have been pretty mediocre and has put me off it, while the Viewsonic reviews have been very good, with only the complaint that it's casing looks cheapish.

EDIT: The Belinia is way to expensive for me. :p

The fujistu looks nice but god knows where it could be found.

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone help on whether i should go for the Viewsonic or not?
I had the 19" Viewsonic VA1912W for a time but had 2 issues that mean I'll wait for a different 20" one. I would say the picture quality was great and widescreen games played really well but:

1. Scaling control using the FPD settings in the NVidia drivers did not work with this monitor. i.e. I wanted to keep aspect ratio with non-widescreen apps/games (i.e.black bars at side) but all this panel gave was a corrupt image (I tries 2 PCs and a different monitor to confirm the problem was with the VA1912W). A problem that has also been reported by at other people over on the Anandtech forums but don't know if it affects them all.

2. In my view a 19" 1440x900 resolution does not give enough height for general non-game use. i.e. I found I was forever scrolling web pages and word docs compared with my previous 1280x1024 resolution. The difference was surprising for only 124 pixels, it appeared I had lost a 1/4 of the height! (though I did not mess around with dpi or font settings to try to compensate). As less of as issue it was also just too narrow to have 2 docs/pages side by side. I think a 20" 1680x1050 monitor is the minimum for general purpose use.

Associate
Where you getting that from? Overclockers sells at £387 including VAT! That's not an extra £30. :eek:

EDIT: Ahh, wait. You're referring to the Belinia aren't you? Nevermind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom