Wife a workaholic/addition problem?

Soldato
.....a sound off mainly to see if I am being over the top.

My wife works in a mortgage related job, from home, we actually work in the same industry although the actual jobs are somewhat different.

She's been working at her company for over 15 years. It's a right ****** little company, to put it in perspective I was at one stage desperate to get out of a job, circa 2010 I guess, so applied there becuase I knew they would employ me. Once I started at that place I set myself a diary task thing for a year after my start date to say something like "what are you still doing here", well I had moved on before I got that.

Now to my wife, it hasnt always been this bad but certainly in the last few years now I guess. She technically works part time, her hours are 8:30am to 5pm 4 days a week, with a day off on Wednesday. She shas been there heading towards 20 years. She has a reasonably senior job title/position but does not have shares or a directorship in the company, and her pay is mid 30 to late 30's, so certainly not megabucks. The company she works for is varly small, I would guess about 15-20 staff tops. The boss, is, well outside of work actually not a bad guy, however to work for he is really manipulative and a bit of a bully. The staff turnover at this company is also horrendous, it will nearly 100% for the time I was there, and that was under a year but that is typical. They also do not appreciate her, as colleagues on the same level or brought in after have ended up being promoted over her and some given shares or been made a director.

Anyway, on her work days, she starts about half 8, doesn't have a lunch break, and will work to at least 7pm in the evenings, that would be what I would consider an early finish. Most evenings its more like 9pm. Some evenings it goes past 11pm and I have gone to bed. As we both work from home, during those hours she does nothing else, barely gets up to take a ****, or get a drink, doesn't go out for a walk, doesn't take a break.

On her day off on Wednesday, she will spend at least an hour going through emails on her work phone, sometimes logging on for a an hour or so aswell. Less on the weekends but she will be doing emails on her phone. This is also typical when she is supposedly on annual leave.

We have to kids and I also work full time, however due to this I end up doing the majority of the household stuff, cooking dinner, cleaning up etc, that I am not so bothered about, its more in the evening when the kids are home, its almost like she doesn't exist, if I go and do something with the kids take them to the park etc, it'll always be me on my own, I do bathtime, I do the school runs, and pickups, and its starting to affect me, anyway, its starting to feel like being a single parent. My 5 year old comes home and tried to talk to her and she is giving him half attention or get annoyed at him because she's trying to work.

But aside from that, the times we are out with friends or family etc, all she talks about is her job. And this does get mentioned by others aside from me. They have also mentioned about her working hours, just hints etc, when with my family, unprovoked by me I hasten to add, it was mentioned that it isn't reasonable nor normal for an employer to expect that.

I feel bad for her, because you are only on this planet for what is in the scheme of things a blink of an eye, and personally I wouldn't want to spend that time working like that, let alone missing out on other things due to it. I don't know what to do though, if I say anything I get it thrown in my face that I don't support her and that my job is "easy" so I don't know what its like, she is also paranoid about leaving and although I guess has made a little effort about looking for another job I don't think it was ever any actual intention.

More than anything I wish the company she works for would fold, and make her redundant or something (even then they somehow screw her out of it) but after 20 years or scraping by I just don't see it happening.

I dunno.......

Soldato
I'm always having this argument with my wife. She's in a job with a relative level of responsibility - but I think it's more the social element that she's obsessed with - can't leave the gossip alone. She'll check her work emails in the evening and first thing in the morning, then she's got a work whatsapp group that she's always talking about work on.

I think it all started during Covid and her team (all women) worked from home - it just became the norm to spend your day 24/7 talking and gossiping online.

Personally - when my working day is done, Teams is shut down. That's it. If it's 'that' important that it can't wait till tomorrow morning, it's probably not my job to deal with it. :p

Caporegime
That sounds absolutely insane to me for the compensation she's getting.

I wouldn't be happy with that work-life balance for twice her salary.

Surely with that work ethic she could be doing something much more rewarding, at least if she finds value in the hours she puts in.

She's not using it as some sort of coping mechanism, is she? I know and have known workaholics who do it as a distraction from deeper issues. The fact that she's been doing it for so long and seems to be OK with missing out on time with the kids etc raises some questions. She may well need something like cognitive behavioural therapy to address this.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It’s up to you to sit down and talk with her. If she isn’t appreciated then she needs to work to rule and stop been took advantage of.

Days off, log off. Stay off.
Start time 9, start at 9.
Lunch break 30-60 mins, take it.
Etc Etc.

Yeah its gone way past that I am afriad. When in the past I have tried I just get back "It's easy for you, you can just log off, I can't do that, no one else will do my work, I have responsbilities" etc etc etc

That sounds absolutely insane to me for the compensation she's getting.

I wouldn't be happy with that work-life balance for twice her salary.

Surely with that work ethic she could be doing something much more rewarding, at least if she finds value in the hours she puts in.

She's not using it as some sort of coping mechanism, is she? I know and have known workaholics who do it as a distraction from deeper issues. The fact that she's been doing it for so long and seems to be OK with missing out on time with the kids etc raises some questions. She may well need something like cognitive behavioural therapy to address this.

Well the start of your post again, I have tried saying this, for the resposibilities and hours work, she could be either: Working for a decent or at least "normal" employer, or earning £100k a year, but she doesn't do anything about it, I think part of it is although its awful, she finds some kind of comfort zone or I have heard the term institutionalized.

The second part I honestly think some kind of reality check but I don't know what I kind do, I honestly think if I stick some kind of leaflet on her desk it'll just blow up into another arguement. Shes gotten to the point where she feels if she doesn't do what shes doing, the whole company will fold and she will loose her job and everyone else, I cannot image the pressure but ultimately she is just an employee and other jobs are out there, she just cannot see it.

Man of Honour
Tough one, it's an easy trap to fall into, I used to have a job where I'd end up working a bit late and there was always more work than time to do it so it wasn't like I could ever be 'finished' - doing less work one day just meant more stress the next day.

What I would say is to me this is the classic pitfall of part-time office work where you get paid for 4 days a week but the reality is you have the same workload as 5 days a week. Modern working is a world away from factory work where if you work 4 days you need to do 80% of the output from 5 days. It's probably more like 95%.
Based on what you've said she must be working 40+ hours a week on a 30hr contract. So she'd be better off on a 37.5hr 5 day a week contract. What you've said about emails on annual leave reinforces this. The analogy I tend to use is coffee shop barista, go on holiday for a week, you don't come back to a queue of people out the door and a week's worth of coffees to make aside from a handful of people that got bored waiting and went elsewhere. In some office jobs, that's kinda the reality.

One option which may sound like weaponizing the kids is to try and use them to illustrate the problems it is causing. Don't do this in a judgemental confronting way but try to serve up examples of where your son is wanting attention outside of working hours so she appreciates the impact it is having on the family. You can temper this by acknowledging that yes during working hours the kids can't have attention from their mum aside from emergency situations, but once the clock hits 5pm things are different.

She could very well be in comfort zone / institutionalized, some personalities will very much value familiarity over career progression. That's not an easy cycle to break and indeed may not even be what's best for them.

In terms of action plan I'd favour:
  • Moving to a 5 day week (if feasible with childcare etc) which presumably would bump her up to mid-40s salary. Not only is she then better compensated but potentially those hours she does in Wednesday mean less needed on Tuesdays/Thursdays.
  • Agreeing boundaries on her working hours and having her enforce those, this is also a good way of influencing the point above if the employer is like "sorry BUD no can do, this is a 0.8FTE role" - basically you demonstrate that not all the desired work can be done in 30hrs by only working 30 hours and letting things slide.
    • I acknowledge this is easier said that done, especially for someone who has been there 20 years, they will struggle to let go and let things fail.
    • "The whole company will fold" - so be it, sounds like you are confident she's capable of doing a higher paid job anyway. If she's genuinely that critical to the company that her not working extra hours would cause it to fail, that's surely the justification for her being on a full-time contract, no?
  • Explore if alternate employment is realistic, by which I mean is she genuinely bought into it or just paying lip service. You might find the answer is no which is why I'm advocating the above steps - if she won't move job, she needs to make her current job work better for the family.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had this with my wife many years ago, she was a restaurant manager and worked absolutely insane hours. Weekends, nights, 16 hour shifts, you name it. Planning a weekend away was absolutely impossible because someone could call in sick and she'd have to go in. Even sitting in a cinema for example she'd get a call from her restaurant asking how to deal with some or other issue and would have to walk out. It took it's toll on her big time and our marriage pretty much revolved around her job. She was constantly stressed and frustrated, anxiety off the charts, and when we finally had some time together she'd be absolutely knackered. Eventually I told her she could choose between me or her job.

She's since done a degree and currently earns a decent salary working for a world famous British store who actually treat her well.

Life's too short to spend it wasting away serving some ungrateful ****. Either find a less demanding job or if she insists on this then get her to start up her own gig. She'll still be a workaholic but at least she'll be coining it and not filling someone else's Bentley.

Associate
Problem is the more she does the less chance the company have of realising how much she's doing, I can guarantee they don't think she's working as much as she does.

I used to be the same, then COVID hit half the staff went on furlough and I carried most the slack, the crux came when I had a day off and was down the park with my boy and a customer called me whom I said I wasn't in the day before demanding that I sort out his urgent problem there and then, my boy was on a climbing frame and although I insisted he needed to call the office he was having none of it, so I got my boy off the climbing frame called the office told them to sort it and I turned my phone off and went back on the climbing frame with my boy it was this point I thought I e had enough of this ****.and I realised that actually what I don't get done doesn't get done. People started noticing things weren't getting done and then asking the question and so I'd say I don't have time, I still work extra hours and I do the odd bit here and there at weekends to help out in emergencies

Theyve since realised and got extra staff in to share the workload, I've now got a really good work life balance and the boss knows if its urgent I'll jump in and do everything I can.

I can't help you talk to your wife, but you do need to tackle it, surprised she doesn't get upset the kids don't interact with her.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Workaholic, addicted, I think both of those are accurate.

Personally IMO anyone that works any extra hours, or does any kind of work on their day off, and does not get compensated, is a mug, but I digress.

Sounds like you've tried talking to her, so maybe it's time to be a bit more assertive about the whole situation, and tell her if things carry on as they are without any changes, then the result will inevitably be, the family will end up splitting up, and to decide is an underpaid job more important than her/your family.

Man of Honour
Sounds like she needs to start setting her boundaries. When you work like that, you end up not creating a life for yourself and it’s all you know. So it perpetuates a cycle.

Also, people who work very long hours often wore it as a badge of honour, but it’s actually harder and requires self-discipline to make time for your own life. It’s easy to autopilot towards accepting the responsibility that’s thrust upon you unfairly.

Also, working like that for that sort of salary is… absolutely not worth it.

Maybe what she needs to see is this thread and our replies - the fact you made the post should indicate you’re worried and care about her etc, which is commendable of you.

Soldato
I'll avoid repeating what's already said.

My thoughts reading your post:

Does she prefer her work to her husband and kids? It's not a trick question, the answer might be yes.

I observe you have listed some of her cons but not any pros. Try making a pros and cons list.

There are some conditions a relationship needs to have in order to work out. Communication. Respect. Sharing. I think there's quite a few such conditions. Perhaps you could research this and see which are satisfied or not satisfied.

If all else fails: poop in her letterbox.

gl.

Man of Honour
Sounds like she needs to start setting her boundaries. When you work like that, you end up not creating a life for yourself and it’s all you know. So it perpetuates a cycle.

Also, people who work very long hours often wore it as a badge of honour, but it’s actually harder and requires self-discipline to make time for your own life. It’s easy to autopilot towards accepting the responsibility that’s thrust upon you unfairly.

Also, working like that for that sort of salary is… absolutely not worth it.

Maybe what she needs to see is this thread and our replies - the fact you made the post should indicate you’re worried and care about her etc, which is commendable of you.
All of this. The part about work martyrdom is real, I know it more than I would like to admit.

I don't think it's possible to be in a healthy place (mentally, but also physically) to do what she's doing, but it can be extremely difficult to break out of it if it's something you're inside. Although she's lucky she has someone as understanding as you in her life, I expect you would be doing her (and your kids) a favour by being a bit less of a - for want of a much better word - enabler.

Associate
From my own experience (now semi retired). I worked long hours in the NHS, logged into work emails weekends and evenings. Could not stop thinking about work. I would always be thinking what needed doing. if people asked how I was I always said I'm great. But I wasn't.

As has been said sit down and be very honest with her, even brutality honest. What you see her doing from your perspective, the impact on your family and your relationship.

After I semiretired people would comment how different I was, relaxed not stressed etc. I remember saying to people including my immediate manager. "so why did nobody tell me..." They didn't! So tell her.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, will have a think but certainly good advice.

What @Zefan said rings home so true, but it seems you can't win either way.

You have a day where you try to make sure she's not disturbed make dinner keep the kids entertained etc, but she just works for the same amount of time, so you think we'll, what was the benefit of that?

Then if you make it difficult eg make a point of asking her to go out for a walk in the evening, put the TV on, let's the kids play in the room, you get it thrown in your face you are not supporting.

Few weeks ago I came down at 9pm to watch TV, I got repeatedly huffed at until that turned into a full on strop and I just walked upstairs on hid back in my pc room.

Also what @HangTime said about going 5 days a week isn't actually a bad shout either, even though it seems like the worst idea, it may actually work out and then at least she would be getting paid more for basically what she's already doing.

But plenty to think about.

Man of Honour
It's not only about the pay, it should also mean the work is more spread out so less 'need' to work late hours on other days because she won't have fallen behind by not working on Wednesdays. In the OP you've already said she does at least an hour of emails every Wednesday which implies to me there is work 'mounting up' whilst she's not officially working and she wants to try and get on top of that to avoid being swamped on Thursday morning.

I'm strongly of the opinion that part time work is only truly part time if either:
  • Most other people are working the same hours, meaning that little work is generated whilst you are off (I'm assuming not in this case). This is kind of analogous to the weekend for most workers, generally you can switch off over the weekend knowing there shouldn't be that many extra tasks accumulating due to the activities of others, unlike a weekday.
  • You generally don't have that much to do so can comfortably fit work into a shortened schedule (not the case here, clearly)
  • You are very disciplined about work to rule, doing your hours and letting the chips fall where they may as a result (she doesn't seem to be working that way)
  • It is 'shift' type work (healthcare, factory etc) where each day is self-contained rather than working on long-term activities that span many days (like most office jobs)
  • You are part of a high-functioning team where absences are fully covered by other team members (this is ultra-rare in office work in my experience, especially where the absentee has 20 years of experience at the company)

Last edited:
Soldato
Log how many hours she works in a week. Work out her effective hourly pay, point this out to her. It might even be below minimum wage.

Indeed, it can sometimes help people realise how little their employers value their 'very important job with responsibilities' when they realise that hour for hour they'd earn more stacking shelves at a supermarket.

Associate
Log how many hours she works in a week. Work out her effective hourly pay, point this out to her. It might even be below minimum wage.
If its an average of 48 hours it will be around 15 quid an hour so not quite but is entry level pay - no stress wages tbh. Your wife is working fulltime hours for part time pay. Her boss should be asking why she's not able to get the job done in her contracted hours. She's got a kid so seems weird that she cant see this as the priority- it's normally the opposite "problem" ;)

Back
Top Bottom