• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will electricity prices influence your next gpu purchase?

And there I was thinking linking an exercise to a gaming PC was the way to go, but linking to a coin meter as well is even better.

Naturally for teenagers who sit all day in their room and never get any exercise, not adults!

It did, yes. However, I doubt I've saved much going from a 250w (or maybe slightly above as it was AIB model) to a reference one that sucks around 220w.

Probably more of a psychological benefit than much of anything else.

My PC is on most of the day. I live in a modern property and I have never had to turn on the heating in the room which has the computer as the heat from the computer and what enters from the rest of the property keeps the room warm even in winter. To keep down both the heat and the electricity bill I usually run a 6500xt which is more than enough in my main games such as LOTRO, ESO, MWO, HOI4 (the 6500xt uses around 20w in LOTRO). I save playing more demanding games for winter when I swap to my 6800 for a bit. As both cards are AMD I can just swap them over when I want, I don't worry about messing around with the drivers.

With energy prices looking to get even worse I'm thinking I'd rather not bother with a power hungry gpu in future, regardless of if its particularly fast or not.

Have any of you actually worked out what a few hours of gaming is costing you on 3090s etc?

I guess in some respects it might be good for industry to work smarter and not just throw more energy in to get more performance.

no it wont matter much for me
I'm more worried about heat output than an electricity bill

Honestly no because it's not running 100% all of time, heat output on teh other hand especially with recent weather absolutely yes. 350W is uncomfortable unless its the depths of winter and and that seems one of the lower estimates of the new cards.

I used to be mindful of running 2 x 970 in SLI back in the day but since modern GPUs give decent watt/fps I don't really think about it. As mentioned I don't need to heat my office upstairs when gaming. Maybe I won't need any heating with the new Nvidia GPUs!

What put most of my household usage in perspective was charging an EV at home which can draw 8KW for up to 4 hours so having a cheap tariff in the early hours is far more beneficial to overall costs.

Price vs. raster performance for high resolution is king for me.

I don't care about brand, flashing lights, AIB value-add or upsell what I care about is high performance and not getting ripped off by mass produced consumer electronics acting as a black box graphics accelerator. Energy is a small factor but of course it depends on what we are talking about i.e. there is a threshold when it becomes a problem particularly the heat output.

My PC is on most of the day. I live in a modern property and I have never had to turn on the heating in the room which has the computer as the heat from the computer and what enters from the rest of the property keeps the room warm even in winter. To keep down both the heat and the electricity bill I usually run a 6500xt which is more than enough in my main games such as LOTRO, ESO, MWO, HOI4 (the 6500xt uses around 20w in LOTRO). I save playing more demanding games for winter when I swap to my 6800 for a bit. As both cards are AMD I can just swap them over when I want, I don't worry about messing around with the drivers.
Have you tried undervolting the 6800 like crazy?

In theory, wide and slow (the 6800 underclocked/undervolted like crazy) should be more efficient than narrow and fast (the 6500 XT), however maybe going down as low as a 6500 XT might be too much.

IMHO the reasonable limit is a 12700k and a 300-350W GPU.
Powerful enough but still reasonably cooled by air and should be easily served with a decent 850W PSU.

Higher than that and we're going deep in the diminishing return land both in performance per watt and performance per currency unit.

everything is going up so yes, my 3080 is undervolted to 825mv at 1800mhz, draws 120w less than if i leave it on stock settings for 5fps loss, that can add up with 50+ hours gaming per week and not to mention the heat its dumping out

Have you tried undervolting the 6800 like crazy?

In theory, wide and slow (the 6800 underclocked/undervolted like crazy) should be more efficient than narrow and fast (the 6500 XT), however maybe going down as low as a 6500 XT might be too much.
The idle watts on the 6800 series is more than I use gaming in Lotro on the 6500xt, apparently they use more than even the 3090, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...aphics card is clocked down to conserve power

I tend to rely on radeon chill to reduce wattage when using the 6800, but certainly agree that undervolting is a great way to reduce wattage, https://youtu.be/wg9V8DgER-M?t=229

Back
Top Bottom