• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will electricity prices influence your next gpu purchase?

yes a bit but unsure if i need a new gpu yet got a 5600xt and a r5 3600 only play at 1080p and 60fps so far managing ok

If your happy with your experience certainly no need to change. As your gpu is fairly new you would be better waiting for the 7000 series if you want AMD as ray tracing on the AMD 6000 cards isn't very impressive

I never had this issue with frame drops on my 3090, playing games like Blade and sorcery, half life alyx etc run buttery smooth. My only limit really is my internet bandwidth i think.
I didn't *notice* them in-game until I used my 6800XT for my VR sim rig and went back to the 3080Ti PC. The two 3080 rigs I built for other people have the same issue.

I didn't *notice* them in-game until I used my 6800XT for my VR sim rig and went back to the 3080Ti PC. The two 3080 rigs I built for other people have the same issue.

Hmm will have to look into this, i've recently upgraded to a 12700k but haven't jumped on VR in awhile so will give it a try again.

With electricity prices likely raising several times per year for the foreseeable future I'm sticking to what I have for the time being, Money aside I don't like the idea of adding to the environmental issue of never ending rising energy consumption for my own entertainment.

With electricity prices likely raising several times per year for the foreseeable future I'm sticking to what I have for the time being, Money aside I don't like the idea of adding to the environmental issue of never ending rising energy consumption for my own entertainment.
I don't think a few more watts on your GPU will make any difference whatsoever. Just boil the kettle one less time per week. Better still don't indulge in any entertainment at all, remember every time you enjoy yourself a puppy dies ;)

Last edited:
I bought a Mac Studio Ultra for my daily work (video editing) as was getting fed up with the heat and noise with the 3090.
The lower energy use, complete silence and lack of extra heat is really nice and I don't see those jumps on my smart meter when under load like i did with the PC.

The Mac Studio is actually faster (render times and general timeline performance) for my work than the 3090 believe it or not so right now, I haven't used the PC in a couple of months.
I still want x2 machines though and plenty of power so am tempted to get a 4090 card but that wattage is putting me off a bit.
I'm not a gamer either btw.

Yes, the price of electric is already insane and due to go up again in October. I don't game as much as I used to, an RTX 3080 performance level in a more power efficient envelope would suit for me for when I do fancy playing on PC. Will definitely not be picking up a power hog of a GPU.

An idle/not-gaming GPU won't use much power at all. I'm no longer mining so I'm not bothered about elec cost for gaming. I haven't really done much gaming lately. I have been keeping the PC on 24/7 though. Maybe I'll start actually turning it off again, with this incoming heatwave probably.

Price of the card and noise are my main concerns.

No its basically the cost of a pint per month difference for me. Heat output is a larger consideration, but we get real winters where I am (Canada) and in summer I have AC running (not to mention pc is a good meter or two away).

Back
Top Bottom