• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will electricity prices influence your next gpu purchase?

What is everyone using to undervolt?
MSI Afterburner for -100mv offset, plus Radeon Chill to limit framerate when little/no action on screen. Depending on the game my 6800XT averages ~180-190W vs 265W left at stock and uncapped. That will likely vary per game, the figures above are from when running God of War.

It is a little odd (to me) which components are included in each install type. Radeon Chill is baked into the control panel along with frame rate caps, Freesync, FSR, colour settings ect.. But to use the voltage control there appears to be no option but to use a full install which includes all of the streaming services and overlays - none of which is useful to me personally. I've been pleasantly surprised by AMD's software, but it would benefit from the option to install each component seperately.

This is also my first AMD card in over 10 years, so am probably still clinging on to the nVidia ways of doing things ;)

You have to account for the whole system including monitor. No point in trying to isolate just the GPU.

Not if you would otherwise be using the PC - browsing etc.But the cost of running a gaming Pc is trivial uness you're running it at full blast all day every day.

FWIW 0.4 kWh is under 11p/hour for me. A whole day's gaming for under £1.

Throught this generation, Nvidia has had an issue with random frame drops wihile running VR. My current work-around is not running *any* monitoring software while I'm in VR.

Unfortunately, Afterburner and Precision X bring back the frame drops, even if I tell them not to monitor. (I think they still monitor, but don't report)

VR is the most demanding thing I do with my 3080Ti and I can't overclock, undervolt or even just log temperatures if I want a smooth experience.

Nvidia may fix this bug with the next gen, but for now I will base my buying decisions on "stock" (Or at least "out of the box") performance.

Throught this generation, Nvidia has had an issue with random frame drops wihile running VR. My current work-around is not running *any* monitoring software while I'm in VR.

Unfortunately, Afterburner and Precision X bring back the frame drops, even if I tell them not to monitor. (I think they still monitor, but don't report)

VR is the most demanding thing I do with my 3080Ti and I can't overclock, undervolt or even just log temperatures if I want a smooth experience.

Nvidia may fix this bug with the next gen, but for now I will base my buying decisions on "stock" (Or at least "out of the box") performance.
I never had this issue with frame drops on my 3090, playing games like Blade and sorcery, half life alyx etc run buttery smooth. My only limit really is my internet bandwidth i think.

Back
Top Bottom