Will I notice the difference upgrading from Diamond 9.1s in my home theatre?

Associate
OP
Does anyone know why the rubber around the cones is discoloured like this on both Evo 4.4s? The Evo 4C does not have this, nor do any of my Diamond 9.1s Is it normal?
Is it safe to wipe off / touch? Don't want to damage the speaker or anything

20240716-163753.jpg

Soldato
There are also EQ modes, I think reference and flat or something one rolls the treble off the other leaves it alone.

I don't think that model has phone app room EQ support where you can tweak room EQ settings? That allows you to set the correction cut off point, typically you don't want full range room correction, so it allows you option to correct <300hz only for speakers and sub.

From my own REW testing, my speakers are pretty flat above 300hz.

Associate
OP
There are also EQ modes, I think reference and flat or something one rolls the treble off the other leaves it alone.

I don't think that model has phone app room EQ support where you can tweak room EQ settings? That allows you to set the correction cut off point, typically you don't want full range room correction, so it allows you option to correct <300hz only for speakers and sub.

From my own REW testing, my speakers are pretty flat above 300hz.
I turned dynamic eq and volume off. I have never used the app, or rew to tweak any further settings. I wouldn't know where to start to be honest.

Soldato
"Yes, the reference mode has some high frequency rolloff, and a mid-range compensation dip. Using the flat setting is best for setups in normal sized rooms, with neutral speakers.

Dynamic EQ has its own impact as well. At low listening levels, it provides a substantial boost to bass output, and a slight boost to upper treble. It doesn't quite match the equal loudness contour, but is better than nothing. Dynamic Volume, AFAIK, should be left disabled for maximum sound quality, as it applies dynamic range compression"

I'd probably use flat mode. I've had THX re-eq which rolls off the high end makes it sound a bit dull

Associate
OP
So, an unexpected turn of events, I ended up picking up a pair of Evo 4.2 Bookshelf speakers with the matching wharfedale stands locally for £490. They were both less than a year old and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a matching set of surrounds. I know the 4.2's are overkill as surround speakers, but wow do they look beautiful, it's nice to have the tonal match with the fronts too! So another set of Diamond 9's out, and another set of Evo 4's in. I haven't recalibrated, at this point I still want to pick up something like a SVS PB-1000 Pro, and I am also eyeing up a set of Evo 4S rear surround tripole speakers. I don't have much space behind my seating for the existing rears, maybe 1m max, these look like they would mount on the wall and give me more space, and better sound, although I have never had tripole so I am not sure how they would sound. They are very expensive though, £1k new for two tiny surrounds. Hmmmm, hopefully something comes up used.

Anyhow enough talking, here are some pictures...
5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Associate
OP
Also, does anyone know anything about sleeving cables? I need to sleeve my speaker cables black, the gold colour really stands out against the carpet! It needs to be black. I will read some guides...

Associate
OP
Does anyone know why the rubber around the cones is discoloured like this on both Evo 4.4s? The Evo 4C does not have this, nor do any of my Diamond 9.1s Is it normal?
Is it safe to wipe off / touch? Don't want to damage the speaker or anything

20240716-163753.jpg
So an update on this, the marks would not come off. I reached out via the retailer to wharfedale who confirmed the finish is defective. They offered me 4 new woofers to replace my self. Or a collect and deliver replacement. I went for the brand new replacement as I don't want to be messing around with brand new speakers and just want a factory mint condition pair. So these will now be going back Monday and a new set delivered Wednesday. Not looking forward to carrying these 30kg speakers up 3 flights of stairs LOL

Back
Top Bottom