Will jogging get you fit?

Soldato
Pepz said:
Dont know why this is in motors, but anyway..

best way to loose fat is to exercise for more than 20 minutes, as you only start burning fat after other energy sources are depleted. Basic rules for loosing fat are LONG DURATION at about 60% intensity, i.e. Jogging / walking for longer periods will be better than sprinting for short ones. Don't run on roads, run on grass and your knees will be alright.

I'm pretty sure that's not right. Seem to remember that a short session of HIIT interval training of 12-15 mins is great for burning fat due to the amount of calories burnt and the fact that it boosts your metabolism and keeps it higher for longer than low intensity exercise.

Soldato
I've decided im going to try running for weight loss and general fitness.
Im going to try the following plan -

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1

and see how it goes, just got a pair of running shoes today and will start the schedule on Monday.

Having some kind of plan to follow like the above one should hopefully motivate me to stick to it until its done.

Heres some stretches to do if anyones starting like myself -

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Can anybody give any guidance on running shoes for the casual runners amongst us, im looking at off the shelf shoes rather than custom fit ones.

I only run 5-6k and i really plan to run no more than 10-12k, so no mega distances involved, but i was looking at the nike running shoes, but they all look a bit garish! i did used to have some cracking addidas running shoes, which had mesh in there to help your feet breath and excellent support, but i cant seem to find anything similar, would a running shop be able to help me?

Man of Honour
Tinders said:
would a running shop be able to help me?

Absolutely. A proper running shoe shop should have a machine where they can watch you run, take an analysis and recommend if you supinate, pronate or run flat. You then give them a price you are willing to pay (I'm £100) and they will bring a few shoes out for you to try. I've always ended up with Reebok DMX's (and variants) although I have had the odd Brooks and Mizuno.

Chaos said:

That looks OK and also seems to be aiming at fat burning (aerobic).

Back
Top Bottom