Will Smith hits Chris Rock on Oscars stage

Soldato
And Rishi Sunak enters the ring! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60941902
Basically he's empathising with Will Smith about how he felt about his wife being criticised, and congratulating himself for not slapping anyone over it.

Poor Rishi's wife, it must be really hard for her being criticised over her hundreds of millions of pounds worth of stock in a dodgy company. Let's all have a whip round to send her a card and a bunch of flowers.

Soldato
Can't we just do funny memes instead?
And Rishi Sunak enters the ring! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60941902
Basically he's empathising with Will Smith about how he felt about his wife being criticised, and congratulating himself for not slapping anyone over it.

Poor Rishi's wife, it must be really hard for her being criticised over her hundreds of millions of pounds worth of stock in a dodgy company. Let's all have a whip round to send her a card and a bunch of flowers.

No, drop to your knees and kiss their feet, you filthy prole :D

Caporegime
Meanwhile, Ukraine are being invaded and the pandemic is not over yet

When millions of people see the apparent acceptance of violence against the most marginal of comments ever made by a man who built a good guy persona across the spectrum of audiences is I think just as worthy of discussion considering the rotten state of public discourse.

I think we ought to be cautious of ignoring the possible consequences of what seems like an insignificant event.

Soldato
When millions of people see the apparent acceptance of violence against the most marginal of comments ever made by a man who built a good guy persona across the spectrum of audiences is I think just as worthy of discussion considering the rotten state of public discourse.

I think we ought to be cautious of ignoring the possible consequences of what seems like an insignificant event.
+1. As well as being a bit of juicy celeb gossip to argue about, it is actually quite a significant bellwether for attitudes, and the response to it has the potential to be quite influential in how people see violence in certain situations.

The fact that Will was generally seen in a pretty positive light before this event, and probably a little bit of an idol for some people only makes the event more influential.

I think the mixed response to the event has made it much more interesting too, both in the public / celeb world, and at the private citizen level. If Will had been made to leave the ceremony, apologised asap the next morning, with rows of other celebs lining up to say how wrong he was and welcome the apology, and the public had agreed, there wouldn't have been so much to talk about. However, Will was allowed to stay where he was, got an award, and took a while to apologise properly. In this thread and on twitter etc, lots of people seemed to support Will's actions, and the reaction from public figures seemed pretty muted with some both-sidesing it and others directly defending him.

Meanwhile, Ukraine are being invaded and the pandemic is not over yet
Could say the same thing about people discussing anything, be it gpus in the gpu subforum or books in the culture subforum. Just because it's interesting to discuss one topic doesn't necessarily mean people think it's more important than another topic.

Soldato

my post was more toung on cheek really.

The main thing is that there is far more important stuff happening in the world right now and this thread has run its course IMO.

This type of thread/news is just a quick 5min thing you read and talk about during a coffee/smoke break at work and then forget about it after that LOL.

my post was more toung on cheek really.

The main thing is that there is far more important stuff happening in the world right now and this thread has run its course IMO.

This type of thread/news is just a quick 5min thing you read and talk about during a coffee/smoke break at work and then forget about it after that LOL.

Yes it's true its just a quick 5 minute thing, but it's not over and done yet.

Givne you're telling us it's over, I assume you're following the latest comments from rock?

What about the latest comments from the academy?

Do they not lengthen what will be in the end of a very short lived thing. It's Thursday. 4 days later. In 3 weeks it won't be talked about. In 10 it'll be forgotten.

Why are you rushing?

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom