Willing to teach Python for free

Associate
I am an open source programmer and I have a lack of friends that can help me out with my programming projects for many reasons (too busy, not interested or just not into programming etc).

Some projects can be rather large and can take a very long time to complete on my own, and I do this as a hobby (although I am doing a Software Engineering degree!). They cover a wide variety of skills including networking, web programming (model, view, controller), gui design, game programming and more.

I am looking for someone that likes or wants to do programming in their spare time, they can be a complete beginner or wanting to learn another language. I will teach them everything they need to know. I have been programming in many different languages since I was in primary school, and I am 25 now!

Edit: actually helping me with a project is optional, i just love teaching!
Edit 2: It is an ideal language for beginners :).
Edit 3: No, I will not teach you C/C++/Java/C#/PHP, at least until you have figured out python first :P I do know them though.
Edit 4: Perhaps people that know python already can help out too?
Edit 5: There is always room for more people, We have group chat sessions and there are others that I have taught python to already.

Any volunteers?

Last edited:
I've looked at python many times, but never seem to get passed the beginnings of it. Mainly due to a lack of decent books and nothing to aim for.

I imagine you'll get quite a few people interested to the point it might be best if you just did tutorials for people to do. Anyone that gets to the end, give them a final project and see who can pass it :D

I imagine you'll get quite a few people interested to the point it might be best if you just did tutorials for people to do. Anyone that gets to the end, give them a final project and see who can pass it :D

If this happened I'd be very much interested :P, although I apreciate the fact that may be more work than you originally wanted to do or slightly different and do not wish to do something like that. Interesting idea though.

I think I'd be interested in this too :)

Seriously? If so, Will need some sort of instant messaging (perhaps can exchange in trust?).. how much spare time you have?

Python is capable of doing many of the things that other languages can do. Just google something like "why use python".
a lot of businesses are using python nowadays too!

Last edited:
What you should do, is use your programming skills to set up a website or small blog. Alternatively, WordPress or Joomla is a simple option.
Write tutorials for beginners, intermediate and advanced programmers, add some advertisements and make some money from it. You will definitely have some interest.

Maybe you could start a Python workshop on the forum like they did on Gamedev with C++, you pick a book and everyone works through it and then make up exercises at the end of each chapter and help out anyone that's stuck. Just an idea :)

http://www.gamedev.net/forum/76-cpp-workshop/

I am aiming to teach one on one since it makes teaching and teamwork a whole lot easier. Nice idea though! I didn't personally learn from books. I learnt mainly from reading documentation, learning from mistakes and writing lots of code.
Once I have tought someone, they can pass knowledge onto other people too. If I had someone to teach me when I was starting out, I would have made a lot less mistakes and spent less time rewriting code.

Also, teaching is not my only goal, I want to get people to contribute to open source more. If you write some code, release it on github or something.

Last edited:
I'd like this, I've been trying to get in to Python and have done a few tutorials, messed around with some code etc. but I find having someone explain things a little easier. :)

I'd like this, I've been trying to get in to Python and have done a few tutorials, messed around with some code etc. but I find having someone explain things a little easier. :)

I sent you email in trust :)

Also really nice to hear that python is getting into schools :) I think college I went to did visual basic (yuck)

I'd like to get a start in Python. I never really gave Java enough time at Uni but with the summer holidays coming up (I work in a school as an IT tech) I'd like to have a look at Python and see if I can start learning a language for once. I'm sure there are things Python could automate for me to save me time or help me impress my bosses. ;)

This is something which would interest me.

All my experience is based in Java, .NET and C++.

My understanding is that Python is slower (in execution), but is a higher level language, so requires less code. Never a bad thing.

Can you teach people online?

I've been dabbling in Python on and off for a while now, it's brilliant. It's one of the few languages that can accomplish most tasks with minimal fuss. Even if your know Java/C++/C# or any other mainstream language it still comes in handy.

Got 2 python programs here with source: http://www.jimaroo.co.uk

Python pulling data from OcUK Minecraft server (playerlist) and Python secure password generator.

Just random little things. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom