***Wimbledon 2017 Official Thread***

Caporegime
That time of the year people, drove through Wimbledon yesterday and must have seen hundreds of tennis balls decorations throughout various shops, bars and restaurants.

Murray and Nadal are in the same draw. Federer won his 9th Halle title in preparation. Unsure of how Novak's preparation has gone but hard to call for this year. If Nadal can carry over his clay performances, would be silly to count him out.

Sad to see Konta pull out of Eastbourne, especially after beating Kerber.

Can't wait for Monday :cool:

V F

V F

Soldato
Is this the first time it has started in July? Thought it was always last week in June, first week in July...

Have tickets for Thursday on Court 2, will be my first time there, really looking forward to it.

Strawberries and Cream obviously?

Soldato
I'm looking forward to seeing Ostapenko smash a few balls about and hope she does better than everyone else who has a big win and then disappears off the face of the earth. :p

Caporegime
I think Murray's hip injury's far worse than he's letting on and he'll either get beaten early on or withdraw to concentrate on the hard court season. Nadal needs to somehow find a way through the early rounds and wait for the grass to slow down to become a real threat and Djokovic is a complete unknown. Hard to look past Federer to be honest on the men's draw, he's managed his time exceptionally well over the past year and seems to be going in to Wimbledon in peak physical condition.

[perv]Hoping for a lengthy tournament for Bouchard on the women's side.[/perv]

Soldato
I don't think Murray will win Wimbledon again. No specific reason for saying this, just a feeling. Don't think Federer will win it. I have a feeling that Lopez might, he's just won Queens so may be on a winning streak. Cilic possibly too. He's been knocking on the door for the last 3 years getting to the quarter finals and nearly won Queens. Maybe it's finally his turn.

Soldato
I used to be a massive tennis fan and really get excited when Wimbledon would come round and try to watch as many matches as possible but I find myself less and less interested each year for the simple fact you just can't believe anyone outside Federer, Djockovic, Murray and Nadal can win it. And even Murray has no chance this year due to his injury which is obviously far worse than he's letting on.
Bring back the glory days of Sampras, Rafter, Aggasi and Goran Ivanisevic etc :p
And the Women's haven't even got Anna Kournikova, Hantuchova etc to perv at anymore :(

Soldato
Is Laura Robson just completely useless or am I being harsh? I was speaking to a friend on the weekend about her and he said well she's still very young, only 20. Actually she's 23, has only ever gotten to various rounds since 2008 in any grand slam and her only quarter final was 2010 in the Australian Open Doubles. She did win olympic silver in 2012 in mixed doubles, but... big deal. Today she got knocked out after an hour in the first round of Wimbledon. Let's face it, it doesn't look she's ever going to get close to the Wimbledon Trophy. Unless something changes in the next few years before she gets to 30.

Soldato
Lucky today happened to be my day off this week, so I've been able to watch the start of Wimbledon at least. Murray is predictable storming through his first game.

Caporegime
Oh FFS, John Inverdale's now infecting BBC with constant talk about the shot clock. How does this moron keep getting work?

Edit: And why of all people to steal from ITV do the BBC employ him over Jim Courier?

V F

V F

Soldato
Is Laura Robson just completely useless or am I being harsh? I was speaking to a friend on the weekend about her and he said well she's still very young, only 20. Actually she's 23, has only ever gotten to various rounds since 2008 in any grand slam and her only quarter final was 2010 in the Australian Open Doubles. She did win olympic silver in 2012 in mixed doubles, but... big deal. Today she got knocked out after an hour in the first round of Wimbledon. Let's face it, it doesn't look she's ever going to get close to the Wimbledon Trophy. Unless something changes in the next few years before she gets to 30.

Just not good enough? She is yummy though. Saying that look how long it took Murray from 2007.

Soldato
Robson had 18 months not even playing because of surgery. Also, I think she's probably finding it hard because the overall standard of women's tennis has certainly gone up from when she was a promising youngster.

@Pigeon_Killer, you've got your work cut out if you want perv at Bouchard today. She's playing Carla Suarez Navarro who has to be one of the biggest swamp donkeys I've ever seen on tour. :p

Back
Top Bottom