Wimbledon 2018

Permabanned
Congratulations to Nole! He is back! :D

He does when the crowd are not in his side and wonders why.

If you go to Belgrade and play against Nole there, I am sure the crowd won't welcome you at all, too :D

It is normal that an Eastern European athlete is welcome hostile by the West crowd.

Man of Honour
First time she's come up against anyone decent no? Pretty sure everyone else has been ranked 50+ with one of them being ranked 13th. This is why she wanted to be seeded and honestly why it was unfair.

There's perhaps a question about whether a tennis player should have a protected ranking after pregnancy but Wimbledon has always retained the right (as far as I am aware) to ignore rankings and seed players as they see fit in order to make the draw "balanced" - you can argue about whether they succeeded since 9 of the top 10 seeds went out before the fourth round and all 10 were gone by the quarter final stage but they've always been clear they didn't have to follow the WTA rankings system. Kristina Mladenovic who Serena played in the third round was a former World No. 10 although she's fallen away from that form and I do take the point that she didn't play many highly ranked players but I don't think you can solely blame her for that, this became a pretty open tournament with few of the seeds making it through so if blame (assuming that's the right word) is to be apportioned then surely it must partly lie with them for not getting through the rounds to face Serena or if you're being more generous you credit the players who beat the seeds. You can only beat the players in front of you so if the "decent" players don't make it through the rounds then that's not the fault of their future opponent.

I can see why Cibulkova was miffed with not being seeded but a) Serena is one of the greatest players of all time (and a player lots would come to Wimbledon to see) and b) the draw opened up quite a lot anyway although that is only evident with the benefit of hindsight. Also worth not underestimating how much a feeling of unfairness in treatment can motivate a player.

"I am just me, and that's all I can be. To all the mums out there, I was playing for you today, and I tried but Angelique played really well, she played out of her mind. I look forward to continuing to be out here and do what I do best.

"She's an incredible person, a really good friend, so I am really happy for her. I know she's going to really enjoy it and enjoy the moment."

?????

Perhaps Merlin5 didn't hear that part of the interview or maybe it wasn't as widely reported but sometimes it's easy to tune in to (or out of) things because they're what you expect to hear rather than what is actually said. Usually when I've heard her she tends to be pretty gracious in acknowledging her opponent in her victories (or more occasional defeats) but often the questions aren't about who she played and instead are about her which possibly makes it rather trickier to comment on the opponent.

Associate
Federer's not playing Toronto, opting to play Cincinnati as his only pre US Open tournament instead.

He got injured last year in Canada and ****** up his chances for the US Open so its a precautionary move.

*** Do not circumvent the swear filter ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom