Win 7 or Win 8??

Soldato
Thats hardly a benefit. Theres no reason for a gamer to change if thats all they do. Thats why i wont use windows 8.

See my post above,if I was buying a new laptop ( in his first post he states he is going to buy a laptop) I would get Win8 over Win7 infact I did even as a gamer,I listed some of the reasons why in my previous posts,end of the day can't think of any decent reason why a gamer would go with Win7 over Win8 can you?

Btw I've about 50 or so games installed on Win8,oldies like Xcom UFO: Enemy Unknown,Xcom :Apocalypse to Baldurs Gate ,Icewind Dale 1 and 2 etc... to modern games (all working fine).

Last edited:
Thug
Soldato
I genuinely prefer windows 7. Had windows 8 for a few months now, and its just not natural for a trackpad/keyboard. I could see it being great for touchscreen though.

V F

V F

Soldato
I could go on so why would any sane person choose an old outdated OS like Win7 is beyond me and yes I've used both Win7 and 8 from day one,fact is Win7 does not offer anything over Win8 unless you count Aero,personally I only like my Aero from a sweet shop ,mint flavour :) .

Some of this section it almost sounds like a trend. Keyboard hammering rage.

Soldato
Some of this section it almost sounds like a trend. Keyboard hammering rage.

No rage unless you count my team dying in ME3 multiplay(some noobs don't know how to use cover,I bet they were Win7 users that could not find the start button lol...) ...I just don't see any real benefit in buying a new laptop with an old OS when you can have the latest OS with better security etc and free upgrade to blue/8.1 etc...

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Win7 is a bad OS by any means,just that Win8 offers more on a new laptop for the buyer IMHO.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I mean keyboard hammering rage towards Windows 8. Metro for noobs! Win8 for tablets, teh sux!11 mah start buttan!11oneonezomg

Oh and as some had mentioned somewhere on this part of the forum, Win8 is dumbed down for noobs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean keyboard hammering rage towards Windows 8. Metro for noobs! Win8 for tablets, teh sux!11 mah start buttan!11oneonezomg

Oh and as some had mentioned somewhere on this part of the forum, Win8 is dumbed down for noobs.

Some of it is FUD,funny you don't really see a lot of FUD on Linux its more a Windows thing,need I say more ;) .

Part 2 rage will appear when they see the new Start button on 8.1 and what it does hehe :D .

Man of Honour
There's not a huge reason to upgrade unless you won't to. That's pretty much always the case for the first few years of new OSs until new dirextX filters into cheaper gfx cards and many many games use it. Personally wouldn't touch win7 now it feels outdated and for media consumption it's frankly crap. Give me mail, netflix, audible etc on metro. I still have an identical desktop to win7 for everything else. iOS/android do these sort of apps far far better than the desktop equivalent, so now windows can do these sorts of apps as well is fantastic and if you don't use them, well you haven't lost anything and gained a large amount of under the hood stuff. As well as better licenses and prices.

However if you have to buy a new computer or a new license, then you are mad to not go win8 (expect for a handful of people running very specific software that might not be compatible, like in house company software)
Not only does win8 have far more benefits, like for like its far cheaper due to the license having significant differences.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't judge something 'til you have tried it for yourself. I was annoyed with Windows 8, then I tried it and was surprised by how much I liked using it. :p

I thought I would love Mac OS, then I tried it and I was surprised by how much I hated it :D

Associate
If you are blind or just have good taste for bad design and a wallet that doesn't mind giving MS more money for crap then Win 8 definitely for you.

Soldato
I purchased Win 8 when it was released for the grand price of £15 so that was a no brainer for a start. I deleted all the tiles from the start screen as they had no interest for me but I pinned my games etc there as well as creating desktop shortcuts and pinning to taskbar if I needed them. In short, I used it much like I used Win 7. I did find Win 8 snappier than Win 7 and I do play a lot of games and they run just as they did under Win 7. I did find myself using the Win button more and found it very useful, I knew plenty of the key combis but now I know loads more. I have used classic shell as I like it to boot to the desktop rather than the start screen but that's just my preference.

I had a couple of BSOD recently and it was time for my spring clean anyway so I formatted my SSD and re-installed Win 7. I've got everything running as I like but I do miss the Win button functions under Win 8. I've no doubt I'll be going back to Win 8 when they release 8.1. Even with classic shell installed I rarely use the menu bar. The biggest task I have is to show the wife how to use it, she's still running XP at work and hates change :D

Excluding drivers I would say it's close to 100% compatible.

Nope.

Had a couple of programs that work in Windows 7, not work in Windows 8 (Dawn of Tiberium Age for example) so it's not 100%.

However these programs are few and far between so I'd say most applications that worked in Windows 7 still work in Windows 8.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is it worth the upgrade though if you have 7?
You could spend that cash on some hardware instead.

when its was £25 absolutely, now not really unless theres something you want specifically in win8.
if you use media like Netflix/audible/kindle or anything similar, then the apps are nearly always far superior than the website/desktop versions.

Back
Top Bottom