Win 7 or Win 8??

Soldato
^ I remember people saying much the same thing about Vista. :rolleyes:

Just face it, its controversial, and not everyone likes such a radical change. Nor is it a change for the better as you and others keep bleating, its just a change.

I never see these sort of statements in Linux ,lol wonder why.

Probably because you actually have a choice. Don't like a distro? Choose another. Personally I loathe Ubuntu's Unity and like countless others switched to Mint.

Last edited:
Associate

Just face it, its controversial, and not everyone likes such a radical change. Nor is it a change for the better as you and others keep bleating, its just a change.

Probably because you actually have a choice. Don't like a distro? Choose another. Personally I loathe Ubuntu's Unity and like countless others switched to Mint.

This^^

Microsoft could release an OS that is navigated primarily by making different tones and sequences of farting sounds. Of course, there would be uproar at first, but because it would be the only way to get DX12, people would adopt it and eventually get used to it. Some would even proclaim that Windows XFart was the best OS ever, dissing all the net 'FUD' against it.....

.......but when all is said and done, that wouldnt necessarily make it a good way of doing things.

Soldato

Ubuntu you can use Cairo dock etc ... Linux is quite customisable,not saying you don't have a choice with Windows because you do,still people using XP,Vista to name a few.

I remember some people hating Windows I was one of them back in DOS days ;) .

Associate
I'm personally OS agnostic and just use whatever best suits the purpose and for my own pc with the software I use windows 8 is the best option. I can respect peoples opinions that they don't like it etc but I think they should remember their opinion is not fact no matter how many times they repeat it or give stupid analogy's its just an opinion, and fair enough but people who like it aren't wrong, they just have a different opinion.

Soldato
No wrong choice here really, but if you have Win7 and you are happy with it, then IMHO there's little reason to chuck money at getting the new OS.

If it aint broken....

Soldato
I think the OP was talking about a new laptop, which would presumably come with an OS pre-installed anyway... and more likely than not Windows 8.

I would agree with the advice which others have already given that if that is actually the case then at least give a a fair 'crack of the whip' first, and make up your own mind about it before dismissing it completely.

Personally I find that it is growing on me, the more I use it, but as the saying goes... "your mileage may vary!"

Soldato
I'm personally OS agnostic and just use whatever best suits the purpose and for my own pc with the software I use windows 8 is the best option. I can respect peoples opinions that they don't like it etc but I think they should remember their opinion is not fact no matter how many times they repeat it or give stupid analogy's its just an opinion, and fair enough but people who like it aren't wrong, they just have a different opinion.

Exactly,some people try to say what they read on the net is fact it's not.

I never pay attention to what reviewers say because just like games half the time I disagree with the garbage they post,end of the day you have a choice and it's not like you are forced to use an OS you hate,I avoided Win3.11(yes I did try it for awhile) and stayed with DOS 6.22 until Win95 arrived(which I liked) as DOS got phased out,that was my choice and nothing to do with how good or bad others thought Win3.11 /95 was etc....same goes for any OS at present.

I do agree some people don't like change and as you know this will happen just look at Microsoft history ie DOS,Win3.11,Win95 all completely different and even some Linux distros,I expect WIn9 to be different from 8 and 7 but still a hybrid OS,only time will tell if I'm right :) .

Last edited:
Soldato
I hated win8 so bad I did not give it a chance, having been running it with classic shell (start button) I would say it's a good quick OS.

Personally I would love to see the return of "right click Search and classic folder menus", I just don't understand not having the option for the long time windows users!

Associate
Exactly,some people try to say what they read on the net is fact it's not.

I do agree some people don't like change and as you know this will happen just look at Microsoft history ie DOS,Win3.11,Win95 all completely different and even some Linux distros,I expect WIn9 to be different from 8 and 7 but still a hybrid OS,only time will tell if I'm right :) .

As much as you keep saying that, the fact is that lots of people (admittedly on the net, although I shall also dish the dirt on Windows 8 in the real world) really do not like Windows 8. If all someone is using thier computer for is multimedia, straightforward internet and a bit of light gaming, then great, but I still think that even after someone gets used to Win 8, if they are going to be using thier PC for working on, with lots of apps and windows open, constantly moving files around and all the rest of it, then Windows 8 is at best superfluous, and at worst, totally beyond the pale.

I dont like Windows 8. Yes, this is just my opinion and that doesn't necessarily make it fact that Windows 8 is a bad operating system. The same rule could be aruged with ME and Vista. But the facts are that lots of people do seem to hold a negative view towards it. Mmicrosoft will either learn from it and attempt to bring its disenchanted users back in from the cold, or it will continue to damage itself.

Soldato
As much as you keep saying that, the fact is that lots of people (admittedly on the net, although I shall also dish the dirt on Windows 8 in the real world) really do not like Windows 8. If all someone is using thier computer for is multimedia, straightforward internet and a bit of light gaming, then great, but I still think that even after someone gets used to Win 8, if they are going to be using thier PC for working on, with lots of apps and windows open, constantly moving files around and all the rest of it, then Windows 8 is at best superfluous, and at worst, totally beyond the pale.

I dont like Windows 8. Yes, this is just my opinion and that doesn't necessarily make it fact that Windows 8 is a bad operating system. The same rule could be aruged with ME and Vista. But the facts are that lots of people do seem to hold a negative view towards it. Mmicrosoft will either learn from it and attempt to bring its disenchanted users back in from the cold, or it will continue to damage itself.

So now you are speaking for the rest of the World and after trying Win8 for what only one hour?..I have lost my respect for you now :rolleyes: ,did you not blame Win8 for that guys faulty ram in the other post too?

We are all individuals that like different things,you can't speak for anyone else but yourself ONLY but at least try to be honest and don't blame everything on Win8.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hated win8 so bad I did not give it a chance, having been running it with classic shell (start button) I would say it's a good quick OS.

Personally I would love to see the return of "right click Search and classic folder menus", I just don't understand not having the option for the long time windows users!

I can understand this to be honest,Win95 to Win7 is like 18 years of doing something the same way,ie Start button menu in same place etc so some users(not saying you) find it hard when that has gone or been removed like in Win8,personally only took me two weeks to get use without it,however I use many different operating systems from Windows to Linux so very adaptive when it comes to operating systems.

Caporegime
I notice that there is someone else who was advised by OcUK members to get Windows 8, who is also getting big headaches from it and the last I read, Is RMA-ing the whole machine because of it.

Do you mean me?

If so, my main problem with Windows 8 is the constant crashes, I've not had the machine running the things I want it to, or used it for long enough to have an opinion on the actual operating system, in fact I said before mentioning the crashes that I quite liked some of the features.

I'm also; only RMA'ing the 16GB RAM not the entire system as I ran memtest and got over 8000 errors :(.

Fingers crossed this is the problem.

Soldato
Try telling that to yourself.

I'm very honest ie Win8 is not for everyone,however I don't blame hardware issues on any OS,never have done and never will.

Do you mean me?

If so, my main problem with Windows 8 is the constant crashes, I've not had the machine running the things I want it to, or used it for long enough to have an opinion on the actual operating system, in fact I said before mentioning the crashes that I quite liked some of the features.

I'm also; only RMA'ing the 16GB RAM not the entire system as I ran memtest and got over 8000 errors .

Fingers crossed this is the problem.

Pretty sure its hardware issue,never seen any OS that caused severe stability issues and I'm not talking beta testing operating systems but full working release/retail versions like Win7/8 etc....

It could also be faulty CPU or motherboard if RAM passes OCUK checks,you just have to rule them out one at a time,however 8000 errors strongly points at the memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 2p... Windows 8 is great... with Start8. Without, Metro is annoying and gets in my way. But yes, with Start8 I'd never want to go back to Win7.

Caporegime
My first thought about the tiles screen (If that is the Metro people refer to) is that they needed to change it so that I can move my mouse to the left and get the side menu come up, not the top left hand corner :p.

V F

V F

Soldato
This^^

Microsoft could release an OS that is navigated primarily by making different tones and sequences of farting sounds. Of course, there would be uproar at first, but because it would be the only way to get DX12, people would adopt it and eventually get used to it. Some would even proclaim that Windows XFart was the best OS ever, dissing all the net 'FUD' against it.....

.......but when all is said and done, that wouldnt necessarily make it a good way of doing things.

What a disturbing post. You must be one of those Simpson/Family Guy/South Park viewers from that post.

Back
Top Bottom