**WIN A MENTAL £1199 AMD ASUS ARES 2 GRAPHICS CARD**

Caporegime
I'm not gonna lie, if I had won I would have stuck it up for sale without even opening the box. It's just so big and stupid and ugly and unnecessary :p

Would much rather have a 7990, Titan or GTX690 :D

Even better, re-build my system with a bunch of new parts :)

Congratulations on winning that monstrosity though Phot3k! I hope the incredible performance levels make up for the impracticality and garishness :rolleyes:

Do you sit starring at the graphics card inside your pc ? :rolleyes:

Caporegime
It's a stunning looking card, love the whole ROG series. Never owned anything this powerful before. No way I would sell it as would very unlikely get anything like this again if I had to pay for it. Wouldn't get the same power if sold anyway.

Sure it's put me in a difficult situation as I was not prepared to build a system yet as I have owned laptops over the past few years due to work and family commitments. Now I am more free and wanting to build my dream system and this put the icing on the cake! :)

Going to go with a nice red and black colour scheme to match the Ares? :p

I usually like ROG stuff, but the Ares II doesnt do it for me hehe.

Associate
Going to go with a nice red and black colour scheme to match the Ares? :p

I usually like ROG stuff, but the Ares II doesnt do it for me hehe.

That's the aim but not over kill, my Define R4 case is the Arctic White which looks real nice so should be a great contrast!

The mobo I am looking to get on that list looks gorgeous too, with the black and gold.

7iKHw3Ll.jpg.png

Caporegime
That's the aim but not over kill, my Define R4 case is the Arctic White which looks real nice so should be a great contrast!

The mobo I am looking to get on that list looks gorgeous too, with the black and gold.

7iKHw3Ll.jpg.png

Ah I have the previous generation of that board, the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3. I have had nothing but bad experiences with it. Awful thing, looking to replace it as soon as I can afford to :rolleyes:

Maybe mine is just a bad one, I dunno, it probably is. But I don't think i'll ever be buying an ASRock again, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone :p

The Z77 Extreme 4 also seems to have plenty of bad reviews regarding component build quality (particularly the thickness of the PCB) and sockets/slots failing...

I would recommend the Z77X-D3H as its the same price, but the blue-black colour scheme would clash :(

Last edited:
Associate
Ah I have the previous generation of that board, the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3. I have had nothing but bad experiences with it. Awful thing, looking to replace it as soon as I can afford to :rolleyes:

Maybe mine is just a bad one, I dunno, it probably is. But I don't think i'll ever be buying an ASRock again, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone :p

Strange, hear nothing but great reviews about the 3rd Gen. This new one is obviously even better with great reviews everywhere.

Caporegime
Strange, hear nothing but great reviews about the 3rd Gen. This new one is obviously even better with great reviews everywhere.

Getting a bit of a negative vibe from this review relating to component quality (see conclusion). Some reports from consumers on a popular competitor site of bits failing too.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...me4_lga_1155_motherboard_review/#.UXySfbWG18E

I would personally get this guy, red and black colour scheme, matte black PCB, good reviews, same price :p

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-229-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2261

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z77a-g45_gaming_review/1

Obviously its your decision :) You have probably looked into motherboards in your price range far more than I have recently :D

The last time I spent time researching and reading reviews of motherboards properly was when P67 was superceeded by Z68.

Last edited:
Associate
Getting a bit of a negative vibe from this review (see conclusion). Some reports from consumers on a popular competitor site of bits failing too.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...me4_lga_1155_motherboard_review/#.UXySfbWG18E

Yeah it's only about the thickness of the PCB, should be careful with these things anyway. The performance and features let alone styling far out way this and besides I doubt I would know any worse anyway being I haven't had a desktop in years.

I tend to avoid reviews by websites like that as they are designed to find faults and based on individual perspective. The consumers who buy it are a better source in my opinion like Reevoo.

Caporegime
Yeah it's only about the thickness of the PCB, should be careful with these things anyway. The performance and features let alone styling far out way this and besides I doubt I would know any worse anyway being I haven't had a desktop in years.

I tend to avoid reviews by websites like that as they are designed to find faults and based on individual perspective. The consumers who buy it are a better source in my opinion like Reevoo.

Fair enoughski :) I'm sure you wont have any troubles with it. But I know I wouldnt touch a motherboard with reviews where professionals and consumers all say things like "it has a great featureset, but it feels like its going to snap when you fit it" or "A bit flimsy. You will notice that when you try and fit in ram, it feels like the board is going to snap. But apart from that. 10/10"...

Enjoy your new system when she's up and running! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Getting a bit of a negative vibe from this review relating to component quality (see conclusion). Some reports from consumers on a popular competitor site of bits failing too.

I would personally get this guy, red and black colour scheme, matte black PCB, good reviews, same price :p

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-229-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2261

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z77a-g45_gaming_review/1

Obviously its your decision :) You have probably looked into motherboards in your price range far more than I have recently :D

The last time I spent time researching and reading reviews of motherboards properly was when P67 was superceeded by Z68.

The MSI Z77A-G45 was actually my first choice but being new little skeptical right now until they sell a few but then suppose someone needs to try them :) I could possibly go for that one.

Thanks.

Caporegime
The MSI Z77A-G45 was actually my first choice but being new little skeptical right now until they sell a few but then suppose someone needs to try them :) I could possibly go for that one.

Thanks.

I'm really sorry I seem negative, I dont mean to be a pain in the arse :rolleyes:
I'm a bit tired :) I only want to help really :p

I'm sure the Extreme4 would be absolutely fine if you take care when fitting it and such, the reviews mostly seem to be shining other than that, but I personally would question the decision to use such a thin PCB. It is also a non-standard ATX size (it is slightly narrower) so it might look a little funny when fitted in a case. The Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 has a thicker PCB and is full ATX size so I don't know why they changed the Z77 version. Perhaps to cut costs.

Last edited:
Associate
nearly as bad as the wait for the winner to be announced... and look how that turned out for you :D

I entered on the shop homepage, saw the banner when browsing for a bundle. Didn't even think about it, googled my name one night and amazingly this thread came top saying I had won. Really weird how I decided to search only few hours after announcement, I think it was fate! :p

Back
Top Bottom