Windows 10 - data corruption issues

Permabanned
Since W10 (and I do like it) I have had lots of file corruptions (system and “unable to open ...user/desktop/ as location is corrupt or unreadable), and on at
least three occassions (in 3 months) the start menu has stopped working (won't pop up) and some taskbar icons have dissappeared (usually at the same time as start menu error), mail and edge won't open, backup option becomes unavaliable, and windows update won't install up dates. Not all of the above at the same time but each issue has happen multiple times quite a short period.

With my Samsung Evo 250 GB ssd im getting data corruption, windows apps stops working and windows 10 can no longer start issues due to corruption of system files.

I have run many tests on my ssd:

Samsung Magician says drive is healthy.
SeaTools 'long test' says 100% pass
memtest on my RAM passes all tests
chkdsk (when getting errors but windows still bootable) says no errors
sfc (when getting errors but windows still bootable) says 100% ok
Malwarebytes (when getting errors but windows still bootable) nothing found
windows defender (when getting errors but windows still bootable) nothing found

Any ideas as to what may be causing corruption of system files on my hard drive?

Bad RAM? (but it passed memtest test )

My rams: Kingston 2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600

Cpu is 3770K and psu Corsair 850 RM.

Windows 10 is installed due to MBR partition. Motherboard is Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 UEFI.

Soldato
RAM & CPU running at stock? Also on RAM, correct volts, settings, etc?

As a last/alternative measure I'd try reinstall Windows a fresh (you can get copy of Windows 10 here). Take a backup of current installation & when installing make sure only Boot/SSD drive is plugged in. You can plug in the rest once up & running

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Yes ram and cpu at stock. All correct settings in UEFI.

Any ideas as to what may be causing corruption of system files on my hard drive?

Bad RAM? (but it passed memtest tests

Permabanned
OP
So i am after format ,this time with GPT partition. I installed again clean install of Windows 10. All is fine. But i have a question. Why it get corrupted before format? Still hardware issue or software?

Permabanned
OP
Last question . I am very interested where was issue. Also before format i was unable to run Event Viewer and task manager . They was not responding. That was related to hardware or software?

But like i said memtest86 showing not errors, and SDD status is 100% heathly.

Permabanned
OP
Maybe it is my SSD? Somebody said to me this:"in my case it was 100% hardware issue, specifically the ssd.

many SSDs are know to slow down over time, usually in certain regions of thr drive, sometime the slow down can be so severe that data fail to be read completly.

i have 2 crucial m4 ssds:
1. requires refresh (or format) every 2~3 months.
2. requires refresh (or format) every 12~18 months."

So maybe that was my ssd fault? What you think?

Man of Honour
So i am after format ,this time with GPT partition. I installed again clean install of Windows 10. All is fine. But i have a question. Why it get corrupted before format? Still hardware issue or software?

Next time before heading down the format route you might consider running "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt. It will generally fix windows file system corruption without needing to format.

Suggestions in here about changing sata cable and ports are well worth looking into. Most motherboards run multiple controllers, 4 or 6 ports on one controller and 2 ports on another. Its well worth trying the drive on the controller that it isn't on now.

Edit: Also I am running a random SSD raid setup in my desktop which consists of 1 crucial m4, 1 Kingston v300 and a Corsair M500 which has been running for about 18 months now, I have speed tests from when I set it up and there isn't really any performance loss on it yet, generally I wouldn't think SSD systems should be renewed every few months to retain performance.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So maybe it was SSD fault or something? Maybe something with SSD ? But it working fine with GPT partition now. So why it get corrupted with MBR then? So why it not worked well with MBR then ?

What you think? But Samsung Magician Smart tells that are fine.

Permabanned
OP
But it working fine with GPT partition now. So why it get corrupted with MBR then? So why it not worked well with MBR then ?

Permabanned
OP
Ah and i forget. Almost everytime when i was clicking run 3dmark11.exe test, my system become unresponsible and laggish. I cant do almost everything. I cant restart system because START button stop working.
Opening some file taking 10 second. I must force hard reset to work properly again system. Almost everytime
when i was clicking run test in 3dmark 11 causing this issue. After long wait i was ablee to check usage of cpu ,ram and disk, and was 0%.
So where was the problem? Software , my disk or ram?

But after format is ok.

Somebody said to me this:"had a crucial SSD once do this,
randomly says files are corrupted, and for example, fails to load user profile, and slow down when reading some files, and then later they work fine."

What you think that issue was related to my ssd? Or not ?

Back
Top Bottom