Windows 10 FAQ

Man of Honour
^^ I see they are still being stupidly obstinate in 14986 due to the complaints from streamers, etc. that have had Windows force restart on them... you can now limitedly defer the restart when the prompt comes up... shame they can't get over themselves and just give people back proper control over updates and even better more granular management options in regard to critical updates (which I'd rather apply sooner than later) and feature updates (which I'd rather defer until I've got some time).

Don
Finally, they've re-added the ability to connect to existing VPN connections using just the network icon in the taskbar.

Now you can connect/disconnect in 3 clicks.

(build 15063)

This is my final Windows 10 gripe, fixed.

Soldato
Finally, they've re-added the ability to connect to existing VPN connections using just the network icon in the taskbar.

Now you can connect/disconnect in 3 clicks.

(build 15063)

This is my final Windows 10 gripe, fixed.

I know right, it should always have been this way. It seemed so backward compared to Windows 8.

Soldato
If it detects what you are doing as activity - I've had quite a few instances of Windows 10 just deciding to reboot itself to apply updates, etc. because I've left it unattended but in the middle of something (sometimes losing data - sometimes just my place in what I was doing) for 15 minutes, etc. the whole way updates are done is really ****** and not done in that way by any other OS (except maybe some obscure ones) for good reason. The whole active hours, etc. stuff is laughably pitiful they really need to fire whoever is in charge of that aspect.

What is classed as activity. I use mine to stream my films when away. I'm not sitting at my computer but I don't want it to reboot whilst away.

Any little tricks people use? Mousemove, was one but not sure if it's compatible or would delay reboots.

Man of Honour
You pretty much have to go the whole hog - gpedit and removing OS components to ensure it never does any update stuff of its on volition - it will force a restart eventually otherwise. Windows 10 has been developed with too many people with their heads up their own rear - any other OS is more suited to your application if you want long term uptime stability.

Soldato
You pretty much have to go the whole hog - gpedit and removing OS components to ensure it never does any update stuff of its on volition - it will force a restart eventually otherwise. Windows 10 has been developed with too many people with their heads up their own rear - any other OS is more suited to your application if you want long term uptime stability.
Just a week would be fine.

Soldato
New update seems to have re-enabled automatic driver updates. Win10 decided to update my graphics driver while I was in the middle of playing a game so I got the "D3D device removed" error and lost my progress. Grrrr - just a heads up that peeps might want to disable that setting again. :mad:

Soldato
New windows update was weeks if not months ago, cant even see the option to enable/disable automatic drivers anyway, where is this option your on about?
I kept deferring it... I like to see what people complain about before installing myself having been burnt. I usually leave my LAN connection as metered to have complete control over updates. :)

Control Panel > System > Advanced Settings > Hardware Tab > Device Installation Settings

Soldato
I kept deferring it... I like to see what people complain about before installing myself having been burnt. I usually leave my LAN connection as metered to have complete control over updates. :)

Control Panel > System > Advanced Settings > Hardware Tab > Device Installation Settings
Cheers, but i find that hit and miss in the past, i do the following myself now,

You can disable driver updates globally or specific drivers only in Group Policy..
Type gpedit.msc on Run box and navigate to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update
Find the option "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" and Enable it.

Soldato
Cheers, but i find that hit and miss in the past, i do the following myself now,

You can disable driver updates globally or specific drivers only in Group Policy..
Type gpedit.msc on Run box and navigate to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update
Find the option "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" and Enable it.

Ah that's great - thanks muchly! :)

Soldato
Q - can I use the media creation tool on a PC that tried to update the 2018-05 update (the step before 1803) and failed to a spinning segmented circle hang? Just keeps spinning and won't boot. Any advice useful please?

Thanks, Mel

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows creation tool doesn't seem to work on "unbootable" Win 10 caused by failed update! Microsoft are a real pain - luckily I had a clone a month old so I have reverted to that and turn up "Windows Update" in services - will this stay off??

I am on Version 1709 OS Build 16299.248.

Soldato
Question. Re my unbootable SSD - If I try to update to windows 1803 with the media creation tool and take the option (on a new SSD) of a clean install and it works and I will then have a new clean windows 1803 on a system with none of my software or files. I do however have copies of my files etc. on (2) disc images. If the 1803 new version of windows install update works (as a test) I think I will still want to revert to 1709 with all of my software / files etc. Will my old version of windows (1709) iusing my disk images still work re licencing etc?

Mel

Soldato
Question. Re my unbootable SSD - If I try to update to windows 1803 with the media creation tool and take the option (on a new SSD) of a clean install and it works and I will then have a new clean windows 1803 on a system with none of my software or files. I do however have copies of my files etc. on (2) disc images. If the 1803 new version of windows install update works (as a test) I think I will still want to revert to 1709 with all of my software / files etc. Will my old version of windows (1709) iusing my disk images still work re licencing etc? Mel

Well jigger me- having turned off windows update I have just come back to my PC (about an hour away) and it's updated itself to 1803 !!! Without a by your leave - BUT at least it's worked this time.

I am now on - May 23, 2018—KB4100403 (OS Build 17134.81) - had given up hope of an update.

Last edited:
Associate
Back
Top Bottom