Windows 10 FAQ

Soldato
Stupid question. The fresh install, can I do it from disk on boot to wipe the hdd or will that glitch the activation?

Edit: I'm at this stage now after already upgraded and activated.

Associate
1) Did you ever open it and apply for the free upgrade? If you did you can just install it by downloading the iso mounting it in windows 8 and running it.. (No need to burn it or put it on a USB)

2) Its a new "feature" Microsoft saves your WIFI password if you turn it on or someone who joins your network does by accident it encrypts it but this encrypted version is available to all your Facebook, Skype and outlook friends. So they can access your wifi. (They never see the password, but their device will automatically connect if they walk past your house for example)

3) Yes it is possible the same as windows 8.1

1. yes i did and even now when i goto windows updates it says i have reserved my copy . do i just download the x64 home version you posted and run that and will it find my key ok as its a dell machine that was pre installed with w8

2. wow thats a bit cheeky you can bet your life they have some big plan to use these connections on the snide for some alien experiment lol

3 ill tell him thankyou

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you mean can you just boot straight from the disk / iso / usb from the bios? Yes

Remember to not input a serial number though just skip that step.

Yeah that's what I meant. Perfect, will do that now.

I actually just read another comment saying its linked online hence why this is possible. Great!

Associate
OP
1. yes i did and even now when i goto windows updates it says i have reserved my copy . do i just download the x64 home version you posted and run that and will it find my key ok as its a dell machine that was pre installed with w8

2. wow thats a bit cheeky you can bet your life they have some big plan to use these connections on the snide for some alien experiment lol

3 ill tell him thankyou

Yes if your eligible for the 64 bit home version, you should be running 64 bit now :)

Yes just download the iso and double click it so windows mounts it then run the setup.

Make a backup first if your worried :)

Associate
OP
If you have anything important I stress you should always make a back, parity and all. Otherwise nuke it with extreme prejudice. :p

No no... I nuke it now and worry about it later...

Random Question has everyone disabled the WiFi thing or are you planning on using it?
Ive manually changed all my SSID's to _optout so they can't be shared phahahaah.

Associate
Yes if your eligible for the 64 bit home version, you should be running 64 bit now :)

Yes just download the iso and double click it so windows mounts it then run the setup.

Make a backup first if your worried :)

so just getting this one now Windows 10 64Bit Pro (United Kingdom) (MEGA LINK)(Checksum in Spoiler) thats right yeah then just run it with w8 and it will install .

i really dont have much i ned to keep my photos are stored in the cloud and any important stuff the rest is just drivel lol and old cluttered programs

Soldato
No no... I nuke it now and worry about it later...

Random Question has everyone disabled the WiFi thing or are you planning on using it?
Ive manually changed all my SSID's to _optout so they can't be shared phahahaah.

Heh! Living life on the edge! :p

I have disabled mine, as it is no use to me at all. :)

Soldato
Went for a clean install option, but it wasn't exactly clean. It tried to keep my name in the users folder, except it missed the 'n' my name, so now I have a girls name.. Downloading the ISO and going for a re-install.

Soldato
Until the updates come ;)

To be fair if you know how to maintain a system, it rarely goes over 25GB Unless you have loads of programs.

haha true! I am only installing what I use on a day to day basis at the moment including drivers etc. Games(well GTAV) will be installed tomorrow and we shall see how that goes!

Associate
OP
Some people are talking about adding this to the hosts file to stop windows 10 doing all its tracky stuff. Ive added it to mine and will report back if it breaks anything major :p

0.0.0.0 vortex.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
0.0.0.0 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 survey.watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.live.com
0.0.0.0 watson.microsoft.com

Soldato
The instructions for advanced driver installs are slightly wrong, and the screens are worded slightly differently.

Also.. I would actually prefer to be prompted to install drivers rather than just saying no... but there isn't an option for that :(

Back
Top Bottom