Windows 10? Why?

Associate
Hello everyone,

I recently built my new PC installed Windows 10 Pro can someone tell me what the attraction is (besides it including DX12 & a few other tweaks).

I think it's the most un-intuitive software designed by Windows ever, it's like they couldn't decide whether they were designing for a tablet or PC.

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
I think a lot of people are easily persuaded by the newer = better. Honestly it is a dreadful OS, terrible. For the first 1/3rd or so of its current lifespan it was held back by the lowest common denominator as in desktop features were gimped so as to have consistency over tablets and even Windows mobile but with the phones phasing out that has changed a bit - it has still had a knock on effect on its design though.

The OS is terrible on tablets as well - especially there seems to be no concept of battery life in the way the OS behaves - does way too much in the background and still persists with trying to do update related tasks and even applying updates themselves even if you are on battery power and even if you are low on battery - makes me facepalm every time I see the "don't turn off your PC" message when it is doing updates and you are down to like 10% battery and potentially not in range of a wall socket!

I can see why some people prefer the move away from the overly 3D/bevelled look of 7 which can be a bit dated but I'd take it every time personally over the look of the UI in 10 which is really quite an eyesore overall.

My honest opinion I think the OS is utter trash - lots of good ideas but the implementation sucks because the developers heads are too far up their own backsides - they even hide away from any real end user feedback and are lacking in a real broad understanding of their actual users outside of some idealised model of how the user should behave and poor strategic vision in where they are taking the OS - for instance with Polaris they are revisiting the same problems as Windows RT without solving any of the issues that made if a failure the first time or waiting until the underlying OS is matured enough to properly support it.

Soldato
It all works Mostly. But its a mess. No consistency and some stuff doesn't work.

It can't tile windows side by side - bug since release.
Search has been broken since 8. Just can't find some things.
If you clean up a lot of stuff like bloat, it re-installs it right back.

I prefer Wn8, or 7 tbh.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I prefer Wn8, or 7 tbh.

I dislike the UI on 8 but it mostly seems better than 10 at its core - I've a couple of systems on 8 for various reasons like driver support and they consistently boot to a functioning desktop way way quicker than both 7 and 10 and also outperform faster hardware that is on 10 for booting up and general OS responsiveness - 10 occasionally is quicker but increasingly its struggling to compete with my 7 installs never mind 8 especially after the latest update for 10 I get a 4-10 second black screen now just before the login screen.

Man of Honour
Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and 7 got it right. Everything else has been flawed. I'm now running Kubuntu for everything except games and it's closer to Windows 7 than Windows is :)

Man of Honour
I hate it that they keep moving menu items so when you Google how to do something half the time it's changed

That is actually quite a big issue - some older and/or less tech savvy users have to write down or memorise an exact sequence of steps and repeat them every time they want to do a specific thing and when 10 updates and makes changes like that it completely loses them until someone goes through it step by step with them again. It is a bit frustrating with 1-2 older people I support as their family members well meaningly upgrade them to 10 (coz its the latest thing and must be better) and then I have to pick up the pieces :s

Soldato
The annoying thing for me is:

Start Menu (I know they've been trying to remove the ability to change this for some time - mainly because they just want to change it themselves with recommended software)
Control Panel / Settings mismatch - I know they want to move everything to settings but half the stuff is so much harder to configure (i.e. networking) than the control panel equivalent
Updates need more flexibility (I'll tell you when to install updates not you deciding)

I don't have the same issues as the people above. Search works fine, I can snap windows side by side on a single monitor.

Other than that I find it a very solid OS. I don't really have any problems with it and I don't see it as utter trash. It's very nippy and configurable.

M.

Caporegime
Im still on 7, as Jen says, it just works, Dx12 is nowhere, hardly used still, and been out ages now, plus plenty of games still coming that are gona run on Win 7 still.

Windows 10 breaks all the time, just read all the posts, after theres updates.

Yeah i know, after Jan, no longer supported, so im going to be on an old, outdated, and vulnerable OS, but what about all those, who are still on months and months old versions of Win 10, as they can't update it, due to it keeping on ******* their rigs up, or the updates just wont install, they just keep failing all the time ?.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The annoying thing for me is:

Start Menu (I know they've been trying to remove the ability to change this for some time - mainly because they just want to change it themselves with recommended software)
Control Panel / Settings mismatch - I know they want to move everything to settings but half the stuff is so much harder to configure (i.e. networking) than the control panel equivalent
Updates need more flexibility (I'll tell you when to install updates not you deciding)

I don't have the same issues as the people above. Search works fine, I can snap windows side by side on a single monitor.

Other than that I find it a very solid OS. I don't really have any problems with it and I don't see it as utter trash. It's very nippy and configurable.

M.

The one thing I find that 10 has done for me more than any other iteration of Windows (other than pre 2k/XP) is do more with the command line. At work I tend to use powershell for most tasks now as "settings" is that gimped compare to control panel.

Soldato
As with others, I think 10 is probably the poorest OS Microsoft have released for some considerable time for pretty much the same reasons everyone else has already stated. It's actually the OS that made me finally jump to Linux. There are things I miss about Windows; jump lists are high on that list strangely enough.

While Linux isn't as good at gaming as Windows, I can play WoW quite happily at an acceptable framerate with Lutris/Wine and there are more and more games working in my Steam collection now with Steam Play.

I still have dual boot on my main machine in case there is something I need to do that requires Windows, although I've probably only booted into Windows 2 or 3 times over the last year. I do also have a Windows VM that I use for editing videos in VideoReDo as that doesn't quite work in Linux yet and I haven't found anything as good or easy to use on the penguin side.

Soldato
I only had one issue with W10 and that was when a update broke my boot sector and I needed to do a reinstall, other than that I haven't had any issues, the biggest problem is how Microsoft now data mine so heavily.

Man of Honour
I only had one issue with W10 and that was when a update broke my boot sector and I needed to do a reinstall, other than that I haven't had any issues, the biggest problem is how Microsoft now data mine so heavily.

I wouldn't mind so much if the data mining drove improvements to the OS but it really isn't - problem is they seem to use the data when it backs up what they are looking for and ignore it when it doesn't match what they want to see.

Soldato
The one thing I find that 10 has done for me more than any other iteration of Windows (other than pre 2k/XP) is do more with the command line. At work I tend to use powershell for most tasks now as "settings" is that gimped compare to control panel.

Same but for some stuff - like changing an IP - I find it quicker to do it via Control Panel / Networking than I do via the command line though, as a company, we use O365 and to do the advanced configuration of that it's all done via remote powershell.

I think, with Windows 10, it's the fact that they're open in telling you they're data mining. Now ever company data mines with the biggest being Apple and Google but they don't really tell you. MS at least tell you and you can block it very easily. I've used Linux and done my CEH on it but I couldn't use it as a day to day OS. It's just far to much a pain in the backside. In my opinion it genuinely wants to be a pain as well and the community really isn't helpful for the more basic stuff.

There's nothing really in Windows 10 that stops me using it as a day to day OS.

M.

Soldato
I don't get a lot of this thread. I've been using Win10 since it's launch and have spent a long with all releases from 1511 through to 1809 and honestly, it's light years ahead of 7 and 8/8.1.

Side by Side windows isn't broken, it never has been
Search isn't broken, it never has been
Getting rid of bloat doesn't install it right back unless you reimage the PC, but you'd be a pleb not to remove it from the ISO first rather than from the live OS.

Man of Honour
I don't get a lot of this thread. I've been using Win10 since it's launch and have spent a long with all releases from 1511 through to 1809 and honestly, it's light years ahead of 7 and 8/8.1.

Side by Side windows isn't broken, it never has been
Search isn't broken, it never has been
Getting rid of bloat doesn't install it right back unless you reimage the PC, but you'd be a pleb not to remove it from the ISO first rather than from the live OS.

This is part of the problem with Windows 10 - people have very different experience - somewhat depending on your requirements from an OS and somewhat just because Windows 10 seems highly inconsistent in how it will work as mentioned before my main Windows 10 installations are on two identical hardware devices which basically maintain cloned OS installs most of the time yet the experience is very different - things will break on one install that are working fine on the other, one will apply a pending update in say 10 minutes while the other will sit there for 6 hours for no apparent reason, etc.

x7AY6Ke.jpg

Soldato
I think a lot of people are easily persuaded by the newer = better. Honestly it is a dreadful OS, terrible. For the first 1/3rd or so of its current lifespan it was held back by the lowest common denominator as in desktop features were gimped so as to have consistency over tablets and even Windows mobile but with the phones phasing out that has changed a bit - it has still had a knock on effect on its design though.

The OS is terrible on tablets as well - especially there seems to be no concept of battery life in the way the OS behaves - does way too much in the background and still persists with trying to do update related tasks and even applying updates themselves even if you are on battery power and even if you are low on battery - makes me facepalm every time I see the "don't turn off your PC" message when it is doing updates and you are down to like 10% battery and potentially not in range of a wall socket!

I can see why some people prefer the move away from the overly 3D/bevelled look of 7 which can be a bit dated but I'd take it every time personally over the look of the UI in 10 which is really quite an eyesore overall.

My honest opinion I think the OS is utter trash - lots of good ideas but the implementation sucks because the developers heads are too far up their own backsides - they even hide away from any real end user feedback and are lacking in a real broad understanding of their actual users outside of some idealised model of how the user should behave and poor strategic vision in where they are taking the OS - for instance with Polaris they are revisiting the same problems as Windows RT without solving any of the issues that made if a failure the first time or waiting until the underlying OS is matured enough to properly support it.
moved to fedora 3 years ago, not looked back. Removed the last windows 10 install off the kids this xmas, put it onto Ubuntu 18.04, the amount of free games and educational software I can install for them is great. They were always asking to use one of the fedora computers and none of them wanted to use the WIN10 PC, so I think that proves given a choice with no presumtions of what is better they decided for themselves. STEAM PLAY means I can play my steam library as well.

Back
Top Bottom