Windows 10? Why?

Soldato
This happens everywhere and all the time. Since this minimalism philosophy is everywhere and they run Administrator computers with 1GB RAM, small, ancient HDDs that never get fixes (cleanups /defrags).

Not true, it did not happens everywhere and not all the time. I remembered read Rroff post about a desktop took 20 mins to booted Windows Me, I don't know why he blamed Windows Me but Windows Me was not the issue, faulty either motherboard, hard drive or something was the issue. I remembered my old first PC I build with Gigabyte GA-5AX motherboard, AMD K6-2 3DNow CPU and very cheap 768MB generic RAM booted Windows Me in just a minute. I upgraded my mate's Compaq 486 PC he had from college through government grant from Windows 98 to Me and Windows Me booted in a minute. Same thing with my sister's old 486 PC I upgraded it to Windows Me and it booted in a minute.

Boot in 20 mins? NOPE!
Windows 7 with 1GB RAM single channel and HDD files mess. How would you expect it to work at all? :confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Q1

I remembered my first tablet PC was Samsung Q1 UMPC I bought back in 2006 had 512MB RAM, I tried upgraded Windows XP to Vista and surprised it worked fine with 512MB RAM. When Windows 7 came out, I upgraded to Windows 7 to see if it worked and amazed it worked fine with 512MB RAM. :D

Pity it did not worked with Windows 8 so I traded in Samsung Q1 for Linx 10 tablet back in 2014 and received a cheque of £30 or £50 I cant remembered through Linx 10 trade in promotion.

Soldato
It's more than likely you are using that something that doesn't work with Win10 (and is broken) rather than the opposite view. Win10 is 3 years old and is far from broken

And yet, I still can't set a default email app and various defaults (png, jpg, mp3, tiff, whatever) randomly reset themselves because MS says there's currently a bug, and they aim to fix it 'some time in 2019'; and many people can't upgrade to 1809 because it deleted files - twice - and MS still haven't been able to fix it properly. This and many other reasons are why I now run Arch Linux by default, and boot into Windows 10 LTSC 2019 when and if I have to (which isn't often).

Caporegime
It's more than likely you are using that something that doesn't work with Win10 (and is broken) rather than the opposite view. Win10 is 3 years old and is far from broken

Of course its broken, just read all the posts everytime theres an update, im stuck in a boot loop, can't update, keeps failing, i lost this, lost that, it hosed my rig again etc... etc...

Soldato
Of course its broken, just read all the posts everytime theres an update, im stuck in a boot loop, can't update, keeps failing, i lost this, lost that, it hosed my rig again etc... etc...

sweet features, £120 for every borked machine I get a call about... and w10 is fast and easy to reinstall with almost no driver issues!

I love w10 updates!

Soldato

You seem to have short term memory loss. The same update have plagued every other version of Windows when updates roll out, it invariably breaks something, somewhere for someone. The fundamental OS is not broken and just because the social media weight of those with issues seem to outweigh the millions without is a very short sighted viewpoint.

Man of Honour
I remembered read Rroff post about a desktop took 20 mins to booted Windows Me, I don't know why he blamed Windows Me but Windows Me was not the issue, faulty either motherboard, hard drive or something was the issue. I remembered my old first PC I build with Gigabyte GA-5AX motherboard, AMD K6-2 3DNow CPU and very cheap 768MB generic RAM booted Windows Me in just a minute. I upgraded my mate's Compaq 486 PC he had from college through government grant from Windows 98 to Me and Windows Me booted in a minute. Same thing with my sister's old 486 PC I upgraded it to Windows Me and it booted in a minute.

Boot in 20 mins? NOPE!

EDIT: Shortened the post a bit - are you sure that was ME? as XP and ME ostensibly had higher requirements (Intel Pentium arch) and refused to run on a lot of 486 systems and while you could make it work with the amounts of RAM typical on them at the time would commonly take 3-6 minutes to boot up - could be alleviated down the line by max upgrading the RAM but that wasn't really cost effective at the time.

Sure ME could boot quickly on some setups but it wasn't an uncommon story for it to be slow in some cases ridiculously slow and become even slower and more problematic if you didn't fresh install it regularly. The system I'm referring to came from the manufacturer with ME on but it really shouldn't - IIRC was a Pentium 75 and can't remember the RAM amount but I did upgrade it later to 64MB to try and help once RAM prices came down enough I could get the budget for it passed at work.

You seem to have short term memory loss. The same update have plagued every other version of Windows when updates roll out, it invariably breaks something, somewhere for someone. The fundamental OS is not broken and just because the social media weight of those with issues seem to outweigh the millions without is a very short sighted viewpoint.

This is the basis of my argument about Windows 10 - as I've said before updates breaking things isn't a new story - which makes it pants on head to implement the style of update application used with 10 when that aspect is no different to before - atleast with 7 you could manage these issues effectively and dodge the worst of it. With 10 a lot of people end up dealing with the worst of it more often than not. Also I would argue that 10 is worse than 7 or 8 for being broken update wise - I've dealt with more issues with ~1709 to 1809 than the whole time of 7's existence to date! and that isn't an uncommon story.

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT: Shortened the post a bit - are you sure that was ME? as XP and ME ostensibly had higher requirements (Intel Pentium arch) and refused to run on a lot of 486 systems and while you could make it work with the amounts of RAM typical on them at the time would commonly take 3-6 minutes to boot up - could be alleviated down the line by max upgrading the RAM but that wasn't really cost effective at the time.

Sure ME could boot quickly on some setups but it wasn't an uncommon story for it to be slow in some cases ridiculously slow and become even slower and more problematic if you didn't fresh install it regularly. The system I'm referring to came from the manufacturer with ME on but it really shouldn't - IIRC was a Pentium 75 and can't remember the RAM amount but I did upgrade it later to 64MB to try and help once RAM prices came down enough I could get the budget for it passed at work.

Yes it was Windows Me worked fine on 486DX2 66MHz desktop PC with 32MB RAM which my sister bought second hand from local paper advert to used it for her college course back in 1995. She and I went to a guy house to checked his PC is in full worked order and recommended my sister to buy it, it original came with MSDOS and Windows 3.1 but no CD-ROM drive. I later installed my copy of Corel WordPerfect for Windows on Windows 3.1, been upgraded it to Windows 95, gave away my first CD-ROM drive and installed it, loaned sister my 3dfx Voodoo Banshee card, been upgraded Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows Me before sister sold desktop PC in 2001 as her kids wanted a faster PC with onboard IGPU but sister was on very tight budget so I build a cheap PC tower with PC Chips Socket A motherboard but cant remembered the model name, Duron CPU, DVD writer and very cheap generic 1GB RAM, I installed Windows XP ran fine and nephews was very pleased with it. Few years later nephews borrowed friends AGP graphic cards to played latest PC games.

My college mate Compaq PC had 486DX2 100MHz with 64MB RAM, installed Windows Me, ran fine many times when I stayed at mate overnight. He sold his PC a year later and I build his PC with Socket A motherboard, 1.2GHz Athlon, 1GB RAM and Voodoo 5 5500 AGP graphic card. The PC with Voodoo 5 amazed worked fine with many new games until 2008 with no new 3dfx driver until when GTA IV came out, he bought a customised build PC on ebay with Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and Geforce 8600 GS to played GTA IV. He upgraded Vista to Windows 7 with keys which I got from TechNet a year later.

Found a video on youtube showed Windows Me booted on 486 PC in about a minute. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ive been on Win 7 since its release, and i was on the preview before that, when it was released, and ive not once had my rig hosed, had any files deleted, this that or the other, and thats about 9 years now.

Windows 10, doesn't even last 9 bloody minutes!

Last edited:
Soldato
moved to fedora 3 years ago, not looked back. Removed the last windows 10 install off the kids this xmas, put it onto Ubuntu 18.04, the amount of free games and educational software I can install for them is great. They were always asking to use one of the fedora computers and none of them wanted to use the WIN10 PC, so I think that proves given a choice with no presumtions of what is better they decided for themselves. STEAM PLAY means I can play my steam library as well.

While it's great in theory, your kids are going to need to use and stay up to speed with Windows, schools and businesses will not be moving from Windows anytime soon and they are going to need to know how to use it.

I've several laptops with different distro's on, and as much as I'd love to move full time to Linux I can't justify it. Gaming and photoshop alternatives do not compare on Linux, my work laptop is windows 10 too.

The only issue I've had personally with Windows 10 is the constant update/upgrade assistant that is running as I moved from a pirated Win7 to a free upgrade Win10. I need to do a new fresh install and a new SSD but I haven't the time to move everything over yet. When I was doing desktop support, a lot of the problems were due to users but the 2 that really caused issues was the one where network adapters just stopped working and the other an odd issue with slowness due to hard drive usage making laptops unusable.

In terms of worst OS, Millennium (as mentioned by a few on here) definitely tops the list! Vista had a lot of hate as well but I honestly didn't think it was that bad. It's stable in that I've been running it on my 2nd laptop since 2012 without needing to re-image it since.

The best OS was Windows 2000! Basically it was Windows NT 4 and Windows 98 rolled into one. It was basic looking, had the functionality of NT but you could also play games quite easily.

I only had one issue with W10 and that was when a update broke my boot sector and I needed to do a reinstall, other than that I haven't had any issues, the biggest problem is how Microsoft now data mine so heavily.

I got my main laptop in 2015. It runs Windows 8.1 but I was eligible for the free "upgrade" to Windows 10. I think I had until July 2016 to do the honours, almost a full year, and I just never bothered because of the big brother element. I want to get a new laptop soon and they're all loaded with Windows 10. I think I'm stuffed :-/ Unless I bought a retail copy of 8.1, but then there might be driver issues when trying to install it in a new laptop.

i didn't mind 8.1 in desktop mode anyway, better that 10 win10's mess.

I use desktop mode nearly all of the time, but I quite like mobile mode too. The app store is quite good for casual games like solitaire, hearts and Bejewelled-type games that you can play as apps over the desktop. Plus, I liked the full screen start menu as it's easier on the eye with me being partially sighted.

Soldato
Ive been on Win 7 since its release, and i was on the preview before that, when it was released, and ive not once had my rig hosed, had any files deleted, this that or the other, and thats about 9 years now.

Windows 10, doesn't even last 9 bloody minutes!

9 minutes you say?.... hey well I've overclocked CPU/Video card and abuse my Win10 is so many ways ie registry cleaners etc and it's been rock stable since its release date, only issue I ever had was that activation issue a few months ago that they fixed it a day or so.

It'll be interesting to see what Win7 users do after EOL of Win7, will they cling to their dying OS forever or jump to Linux, personally I never had any real issues with Windows (or Linux for that matter) and I have used them all since Win3.11(except WinMe).

I do miss my DOS 6.22 days(my favourite Microsoft OS) but you got to move with the times as they say and I have been doing so since those days.

To be honest the only thing I really miss that is not on Win10 is WMC, but I can live without it for the most part. Guess I have to see if I can get my USB digital TV tuner working on my Linux PC :) .

Man of Honour
It'll be interesting to see what Win7 users do after EOL of Win7, will they cling to their dying OS forever or jump to Linux, personally I never had any real issues with Windows (or Linux for that matter) and I have used them all since Win3.11(except WinMe).

I don't have many choices Windows 10 is unsuited to my use not just adjusting I can't rely on it to do the jobs I need it to - Linux is unsuited to my use due to too much stuff that only works properly on Windows - I have no choice but to hold onto 7 as long as I can :(

It is gonna suck when newer hardware is no longer supported under 7 - I can't even run 7 in a VM on 10 as many of the issues will still affect it.

Soldato
I have just have had a laptop for xmas and it has come with widows10 home installed, I have set it up like my desktop pc, and despite it not having the group policy editor so I can disable the automatic updates, its still hasnt run any updates or got on my nerves yet.

I made sure it was all up to date whit I was installing everything and adjusted the "active hours" settings and yes I have just checked ad it has checked for updates without me knowing, but so far it hasnt found any. No doubt the update thing will annoy me once it starts updating on its own and I will probably hack windows to get the group policy back so I can disable the auto updates. But other then this prob and the ugly look with windows 10, I dontt have any other issues with it.

You just need to spend time going through all the options and tweaking it until your happy with the way it behaves and looks.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see peoples opinions about Windows 10 in 5 years time. I remember all the bad press when XP first came out, now its held as one of the best OS ever.

One thing about Windows 10 is very sensitive to hardware. You can run Windows 7 on a computer with HDD errors and bad RAM. Try that with Windows 10 and watch it fall over, yet people say Windows 10 is crap when really their hardware is failing.

Soldato
Like most here (I'm surprised so many people hate it too), I loathe Win 10.
I pretty much disable all the features they try to force on you...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Will be interesting to see peoples opinions about Windows 10 in 5 years time. I remember all the bad press when XP first came out, now its held as one of the best OS ever.

One thing about Windows 10 is very sensitive to hardware. You can run Windows 7 on a computer with HDD errors and bad RAM. Try that with Windows 10 and watch it fall over, yet people say Windows 10 is crap when really their hardware is failing.

XP a lot of it was people resistant to change - 10 is going to depend a lot where the developers take it going forward - if they engage more with actual users it has potential to be one of the best OSes they've made but while they hide away with a highly idealised model of the average user that is disconnected from the reality it will continue to miss the mark - the only real good changes have come from pressure when high profile people have run into problems and made a lot of noise like issues affecting streamers.

Associate
Win10 I find is a frustrating OS. I can’t deny it’s probably the most capable one of any available OS, and it does have some nice features. However, for me, its mainly how rough around the edges everything is. Design inconsistencies everywhere, rough edges, minor but annoying bugs, the overall user experience isn’t particularly good or polished and considering we’re now nearly into its 4th year this is pretty bad.

I work in IT so I get to see it at its worst too which probably doesn’t help with my opinion of it. Honestly, if I didn’t think I’d be setting myself up for a load of hassle I would ditch it entirely even off the gaming rig, and for sofa surfing, one reason I have an iPad Pro in spite of its limitations is that I just don’t like using it. I do feel like its a sub-par product in all honesty, and yet if they were to address its user experience issues and the overall robustness, I think they would have a pretty good OS on their hands, and that is what I find frustrating.

Soldato
While it's great in theory, your kids are going to need to use and stay up to speed with Windows, schools and businesses will not be moving from Windows anytime soon and they are going to need to know how to use it.

I've several laptops with different distro's on, and as much as I'd love to move full time to Linux I can't justify it. Gaming and photoshop alternatives do not compare on Linux, my work laptop is windows 10 too.

The only issue I've had personally with Windows 10 is the constant update/upgrade assistant that is running as I moved from a pirated Win7 to a free upgrade Win10. I need to do a new fresh install and a new SSD but I haven't the time to move everything over yet. When I was doing desktop support, a lot of the problems were due to users but the 2 that really caused issues was the one where network adapters just stopped working and the other an odd issue with slowness due to hard drive usage making laptops unusable.
All my games are on Steam, Steamplay allows games to work.
Kids only use browser currently, basic word processing so it's not an issue.
There are plenty of powerful image/video tools for you to try.

Give yourself a month without booting into Windows, you will surprise yourself.

Soldato
All my games are on Steam, Steamplay allows games to work.
Kids only use browser currently, basic word processing so it's not an issue.
There are plenty of powerful image/video tools for you to try.

Give yourself a month without booting into Windows, you will surprise yourself.

I've tried it, as a general use then yes I could manage fine, but none of the Linux options compares to Lightroom and Photoshop. And if you're games are all on steam it's fine but those that aren't don't always work well with WINE etc.

I'll be spending even more time on it soon as I am working on infosec knowledge but even then, I can't see me losing windows completely. Plus my own kids will be using both as they grow and move away from just using android tablets.

Back
Top Bottom