Windows 10? Why?

Soldato
I think this has always been the issue with Windows, much like Android for phones and tablets, they have to accommodate the lowest common denominator of hardware. Unlike Apple for example, where the ecosystem is closed to other hardware vendors.

Bit that's always been the case so I don't really understand why the hate seems so directed towards 10. Vista was crap, 8 was crap. 10 is significantly better than 8 and far more comparable to 7

Soldato
Hello everyone,

I recently built my new PC installed Windows 10 Pro can someone tell me what the attraction is (besides it including DX12 & a few other tweaks).

I think it's the most un-intuitive software designed by Windows ever, it's like they couldn't decide whether they were designing for a tablet or PC.

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

I don't care about your bias opinion. When I used Windows 8 and 8.1 it was very well designed for a tablet and PC but I was very rarely used tablet mode and preferred to used desktop mode, same thing with Windows 10 I used desktop mode on Linx 10 and Surface Pro 6. My sister work at college, she and all staff used Surface Pro tablets all preferred to used Windows 10 desktop mode. In stores where I collected parcels, shop keepers and shop assistants all used Surface Pro tablets ran Windows 10 in desktop mode, they used it to checked confirmation orders and customers to signed their name on the tablet to collect parcels.

The latest Windows 10 1809 is far the best with DXR supported DirectX Ray Tracing, cant wait to look forward next update Windows 10 19H1 with new features such as DirectML DirectX Machine Learning that will use in games. DirectML techniques such as denoising and super-resolution will allow hardware to achieve impressive raytraced effects with fewer rays per pixel than DXR alone.

Soldato
The OS is terrible on tablets as well - especially there seems to be no concept of battery life in the way the OS behaves - does way too much in the background and still persists with trying to do update related tasks and even applying updates themselves even if you are on battery power and even if you are low on battery - makes me facepalm every time I see the "don't turn off your PC" message when it is doing updates and you are down to like 10% battery and potentially not in range of a wall socket!

Your above comment make me facepalm.

https://www.intowindows.com/enable-or-disable-battery-saver-in-windows-10/

I never had issues with Linux 10 and Surface Pro 6 when it was on battery power and Windows Update will not install updates when low on battery after Battery Saver was enabled automatically when it hit 10% or 20% or 100%, you can change Battery Saver slide up to 100%, if you set it to 100% when battery fall below 100% and Battery Saver will activated automatically and Windows Update will paused updates but it will not download or install updates.

It looked something like below.

bJD3RCY.jpg

Windows 10 had very good battery life concept in the way OS behaves on either Linux 10 with up to 7 hours and Surface Pro 6 with up to 12 hours. It seemed Windows 10 managed battery and memory far much better than Android and iOS.

After bought Galaxy S9 for £739, I loved the wide and rounded edge screen but unfortunately the battery life was the biggest disappointment, it not that much better than Galaxy S6 battery life. It seemed Android 8 Oreo has no concept of battery life in the way the OS behaves, Chrome browser with no extensions on Galaxy S9 visited some mobile sites drained 1-2% battery every few minutes until battery depleted in less than 3 hours and also played 3D games for just over 1 hour managed to depleted battery from full charged 100% to 0%. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 6 just blew Galaxy S9 out of water after managed to surfed Internet on Chrome with no extensions for over 9 hours and played GTA V for 5 hours until full charged battery went low to 10% on huge 12 inch screen. Oh man the latest Android 9 Pie and iOS 12 has terrible battery life too, I really don't know why battery life on Android get worse and worse in every version since Android 2.3 Gingerbread when bought my first Galaxy S2 phone, The OS was very tiny, very fast and very lean with around 200MB size, I was able to surfed Chrome for up to 6 hours, played 3D games for 3 hours and standby up to 2 weeks but after updated to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, the battery life reduced to 1 week on standby compared to Gingerbread. Then upgraded to Galaxy S3, S5 and S6 did not improved battery life but noticed standby battery reduced down to just 2 days on KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow used about 7GB size, current Oreo used 10GB size. My sister had same issue with Galaxy S8 Plus, the battery lasted 2 days from full charged if light used or less than 12 hours if used mild at work.

Had same issue with ipod touch 6, iOS 8 was the last version with longest battery life with up to 2 weeks on standby and light use but the later versions up to 12 saw battery life get worse reduced down to 2 days standby or light use or few hours with Chrome or 1 hour play a game to depleted a fully charged battery. All of my mates who owned iPhone 8 had same issue, battery lasted 2 days on standby.

Both Android and iOS are shambles trash, new Windows 10 ARM laptops just put both to shame with impressive 25 hours battery with people bought it able to surfed Chrome all day up to 15-20 hours while Android and iOS battery full emptied after 2 hours of Chrome. Next few years will be very interesting to see how good Windows 10 ARM will be when it fully supported ARM64 to run 64 bit apps, Windows Polaris and of course possible Pocket Surface or foldable Surface tablet. :D

Man of Honour
Your above comment make me facepalm.

https://www.intowindows.com/enable-or-disable-battery-saver-in-windows-10/

I never had issues with Linux 10 and Surface Pro 6 when it was on battery power and Windows Update will not install updates when low on battery after Battery Saver was enabled automatically when it hit 10% or 20% or 100%, you can change Battery Saver slide up to 100%, if you set it to 100% when battery fall below 100% and Battery Saver will activated automatically and Windows Update will paused updates but it will not download or install updates.

It looked something like below.

Funny you assume I didn't say something for a reason. Battery saver isn't always a solution (even when it works as intended) as when you drop below the threshold it doesn't just try to restrict background system processes it also won't control updates once they've already passed a certain point. It also impacts other useful functionality, screen brightness and image quality and restricts performance of certain things (depending on specific device drivers you may or may not be able to take control over that behaviour). So whacking it to 100% isn't often a good idea.

Also that only covers one area I'm complaining about - updates aren't the only poor approach for battery life.

Soldato
I think this has always been the issue with Windows, much like Android for phones and tablets, they have to accommodate the lowest common denominator of hardware. Unlike Apple for example, where the ecosystem is closed to other hardware vendors.

Bit that's always been the case so I don't really understand why the hate seems so directed towards 10. Vista was crap, 8 was crap. 10 is significantly better than 8 and far more comparable to 7

People just done like change and refuse to adjust to it.

Apple understands that, they get away charging stupid amounts for their products yet people still buy them. Transition from the first Iphone to the Iphone XS software wise is nothing.

V F

V F

Soldato
I have used every version of windows since 3.11 .... 10 is in a close tie with windows ME as the crappiest version
As much as I despise Windows 10 and its issues, Windows 10 isn't even anywhere near a fraction of how bad Windows ME was.

Not even close.

Windows ME would black screen with the white ignore/exit pop up dialog when it ran out of memory. Most times Millenium would crash if you held your breath or looked at it wrongly. Windows 10 is what 2000 was to ME.

Man of Honour
People just done like change and refuse to adjust to it.

Apple understands that, they get away charging stupid amounts for their products yet people still buy them. Transition from the first Iphone to the Iphone XS software wise is nothing.

There is more to it with Windows 10 than just change. Personally I jumped on it when the insider program was rolled out and was really hoping to see something that fundamentally improved on Windows 7... it doesn't.

As much as I despise Windows 10 and its issues, Windows 10 isn't even anywhere near a fraction of how bad Windows ME was.

Not even close.

Windows ME would black screen with the white ignore/exit pop up dialog when it ran out of memory. Most times Millenium would crash if you held your breath or looked at it wrongly. Windows 10 is what 2000 was to ME.

One of my past jobs had a Windows ME PC in reception - first person in the door in the morning would start it booting - it might be at a the desktop with everything loaded 20 minutes later or something - not even exaggerating.

V F

V F

Soldato
There is more to it with Windows 10 than just change. Personally I jumped on it when the insider program was rolled out and was really hoping to see something that fundamentally improved on Windows 7... it doesn't.

I love these type of people that throw "they hate change" discussions because some criticise something, just love it.

Considering this same very forum that 90% were throwing hissy fits when there was no Windows button on the taskbar for Windows 8 that I loved. It was something different. They were throwing endless hissy fits for nearly two years here. Including the same ones that label others for supposedly hating change.

Permabanned
One of my past jobs had a Windows ME PC in reception - first person in the door in the morning would start it booting - it might be at a the desktop with everything loaded 20 minutes later or something - not even exaggerating.

This happens everywhere and all the time. Since this minimalism philosophy is everywhere and they run Administrator computers with 1GB RAM, small, ancient HDDs that never get fixes (cleanups /defrags).
Windows 7 with 1GB RAM single channel and HDD files mess. How would you expect it to work at all? :confused:

Soldato
There's change through necessity and change for the sake of it. Removing the start button from Windows 8 was not a necessary change, it didn't improve anything and it wasn't required. Nice to have the option, I don't deny that, but forcing no button was never going to be popular.
Windows 10 annoyed me recently. It told me an update was pending and asked me if i wanted to install it then or postpone it. The cheek of it!

Soldato
Funnily enough I didn't mind Windows 8 at all. I changed one setting so Windows booted straight to the desktop and just got on with it. 8 also seemed more responsive than 7. People moaned about the start menu incessantly but it made almost no difference to the way I use Windows as I pinned most of the stuff I used to the taskbar.

There's change through necessity and change for the sake of it.

I almost posted something similar earlier, but with regards to 10, not 8. I have no problem with change, in fact I quite like it. Things would get very boring if nothing ever changed. Windows 10 on the other hand is a complete mess of changes, very few of which are worthwhile (my opinion - YMMV).

Soldato
I have used Windows 10 since the early days and never had issues with it, likewise in work no issues.

In terms of the start menu can honestly not remember the last time I looked for it, as since Windows 8 just hit the windows key and type what I want.

Man of Honour
Windows 7 with 1GB RAM single channel and HDD files mess. How would you expect it to work at all?

Windows 7 you can optimise it to work pretty well even on older hardware - readyboost, shortstroke a HDD for the OS, static pagefile, etc. etc. while with Windows ME no amount of tweaks like that would result in anything but a horridly slow and broken OS.

Despite some protests above Windows 10 is much closer to ME than an OS like 7 - for instance a good number of users still to this day get the issues where suddenly out the blue the Start Menu and/or Explorer suddenly always take 30-120 seconds to respond, etc. that often can only be solved by a recovery install or even a complete fresh install of the OS and a good chance the issue will crop up again at random weeks or months later (certain systems seem more prone to it than others for some reason without their being a rhyme or reason like it being old hardware).

Soldato
Windows 10? Why? !

Because short of going to MacOS or Unix there really isn't an alternative!

Windows 7 is out of support soon and I don't want an OS without security updates. Windows 8 is even worse than 10 IMO.

I don't really see any viable options other than Windows 10 unfortunately :confused:

Back
Top Bottom