Windows 10

Soldato
My anniversary update has been failing to install again and again for months now.

Can I just get the newest version iso (Creators Update?) and wipe->reinstall?

Will it pick up the existing key?

Thanks
Yes it will, it will identify your system as already having an activated copy so feel free to do a clean install.

AthlonXP1800 has already linked and confirmed the ISO is the latest Creators Update.

Just updated my work PC to it, no issues. Although it's going to take a while to get use to some of the changes. I noticed Control Panel and the old program list shortcut from right clicking the start menu is gone, although I can still access them by searching it. Not really like the Modern UI version of the program list :p. Command prompt still exists as well but I guess now is a good time to adapt to PowerShell.

Soldato
Just downloaded installed Windows 10 Creators Update on to a virtual machine. My overall impression is that there is far more bloat in terms of apps.

Does anybody know how to permanently disable Windows Defender, now known as Windows Defender Security Centre? There doesn't seem to be the same options in Group Policy Editor.

Soldato
Just downloaded installed Windows 10 Creators Update on to a virtual machine. My overall impression is that there is far more bloat in terms of apps.

Does anybody know how to permanently disable Windows Defender, now known as Windows Defender Security Centre? There doesn't seem to be the same options in Group Policy Editor.

Haven't seen a way to disable it yet. It seems to suggest there's a virus scanner too. I use NOD32 for that stuff and don't want multiple scanners on the go.

Soldato
Haven't seen a way to disable it yet. It seems to suggest there's a virus scanner too. I use NOD32 for that stuff and don't want multiple scanners on the go.

It's been a full AV suite for a while now, although the UI previously didn't exactly match it.

Open it up and on the left side click the Shield icon, you can disable the scanners there. Although this should be greyed out if it detects another AV installed. Knowing Windows however... you might need to reinstall your AV for it to be properly detected, I've always noticed after these big updates your own AV doesn't properly work.

Annoying thing is since AV1 you still can't seem to hide Defender's notification icon, even if you have a different AV installed and Defender is not active.
Please tell me there's a way to disable the 'Open MS Edge' tab in Internet Explorer?
... Stop using IE :p.

Soldato
I like IE! I've tried most of the others and don't like any of them.

You can stop the notification icon from being displayed by disabling it via Task Manager > Start-up.

I'll re-install NOD32 and see if that makes any difference, hopefully all the MS stuff will auto disable like it used to.

Soldato
Firefox or Chrome (or any other Blink based browsers like Vivaldi/Opera). Even Edge is more secure than IE, IE is just a security mess.

EDIT: Home desktop updated, no issues either. Oddly enough when opening mail I got a pop up saying "You're the first" on the Focus inbox feature for my Hotmail account... which I instantly dislike since it was only showing one email from last week Wednesday (29th). All my other, more recent emails was in the Other tab. Luckily you can turn it off in the Reading setting for a more normal view.

Soldato
Tried those mentioned and don't like them for varying reasons and Edge isn't finished yet, imo.

I'll stick with IE and its security flaws (not that I've ever had anything negative happen to me as a direct result of the flaws, mind you).

Still haven't found a way to remove the new Open Edge tab from IE...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
They have removed the ability to right click the start button and open control panel :mad: Just why? What reason is there that caused them to do this?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That sucks, although I've pinned Control Panel to my taskbar now and pinned most accessed items inside to the icon.

This way is slightly better I guess :cool:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
JySOyuo.jpg

Discovering some new stuff not mentioned on tech blogs or even MS pages. Not bad.

Also, the Settings [pages have been revamped, I can see why they removed traditional Control Panel from the right click menu of the start button, but I still prefer traditional.

Windows Defender has had a major revamp also.

Soldato
So there has been an update then. Explains why I'm stuck at loading screen without any prompt :(.

Really don't want to clean install yet again :(.

Edit: never mind was a hardware failure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom