Windows 8 Consumer Preview Thread

Associate
Soldato
That idea was a myth though, created by Steve Jobs. HTML5 isn't fully ready for the prime time yet. And even then you're only replacing one problem with another. Out goes Flash, and in comes video codecs. H.264 requires a license...

Apple hate flash for two reasons... 1) Platform independent apps that could be created with Flash would be a huge threat to the vendor lock-in provided by their App Store, 2) it doesn't provide a terribly great touch first experience.

It sounds like Microsoft, by getting full access to the source code, has been able to solve the problem #2 that Apple had. I fully expect Microsoft will have baked in their touch-first technologies. As for #1, well Microsoft doesn't yet have an App Store to protect anyway. So that point makes no odds to them. Once they have an viable App Store and ecosystem built up then they can start getting picky and choosy about which direction they want to take it. And maybe then they'll start phasing out their Flash support.

Remember though this Flash support is only available for some sites, based on their regularly updated Compatibility View listings:

Winsupersite article said:
So, Microsoft has extended the Internet Explorer Compatibility View list to include rules for popular Flash-based web sites that are known to meet certain criteria. That is, Flash is supported for only those popular but legacy web sites that need it. This feature is not broadly available for all sites.

This move, while initially surprising, is entirely in keeping with Microsoft’s long-standing commitments to backwards compatibility.

Baking Flash into IE10 Metro is a stroke of genius idea (albeit copied from Chrome). Suddenly all the news reports have changed from "IE10 Metro doesn't support addons" to "IE10 Metro supports Flash! iPad doesn't! Buy buy buy buy!"

It's positive news that shows Microsoft are really starting to gain momentum in their fight back. Together with the news that Mozilla wants to sue them for locking out third party web browsers in Win8 ARM. They've been in slumber since about oh 2001. But now it really feels like the sleeping giant has been properly awoken.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's not going to support flash on any old site anyway. So it pretty much has still got rid of flash.

"that is, only supported on popular sites that meat certain requirements"

That's if these rumours are true.

The integrated Flash Player was spotted in a pre- Windows 8 Release Preview build. In another interesting twist, it won’t work on just any old website. Instead, it calls on a Microsoft whitelist to see whether or not a given domain is allowed to fire up the integrated Player. Big sites like YouTube, Facebook, Hulu, and CNN will be on the list. It’s safe to assume the list will grow over time, but right now it’s fairly short — and there are some glaring omissions like Armor Games.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got a new ssd and I so I am wondering whether I should install this preview or not?

When the June version arrives will it be another reinstall or will it be windows updates?

Soldato
This article[/URL] is worth a read.

Yeah, I agree with what he's saying. I like Win8, but it seems strange that they're trying to clumsily wedge a tablet OS into a desktop OS and create a catchall solution at this point in time. Where's the fire? Mouse/keyboard driven desktops aren't going anywhere for a long time. I just don't think the market is ready for (or even needs) a "combo" OS yet. IMO, they should have had a couple of tablet-specific OS releases (while continuing with Win7) for a few years, then when tablets are established they could start to marry the two together. Right now they're trying to put all their eggs in one basket when there's absolutely no need :confused:

Soldato
Yeah, I agree with what he's saying. I like Win8, but it seems strange that they're trying to clumsily wedge a tablet OS into a desktop OS and create a catchall solution at this point in time. Where's the fire? Mouse/keyboard driven desktops aren't going anywhere for a long time. I just don't think the market is ready for (or even needs) a "combo" OS yet. IMO, they should have had a couple of tablet-specific OS releases (while continuing with Win7) for a few years, then when tablets are established they could start to marry the two together. Right now they're trying to put all their eggs in one basket when there's absolutely no need :confused:

Let's face it, Microsoft needs to get this release out of the way sooner rather than later. I don't think another couple of mild updates to Windows 7 would do us much good. Windows 7, as it is, is a very solid modern desktop OS and will be around for a long time but I'm not seeing much else they can do with the platform. It's the same with OSX - the last couple of major version updates have been such a complete yawn I actually installed 10.6 on my MBP and forgot I had Lion.

At least with Windows 8 they are introducing a whole new platform that, by the time Windows 9 comes around, will have had 3 years to evolve and mature and in the meantime those who don't like it can stick to Windows 7. They may as well do it now while they have an extremely popular alternative. We'll also have three more years for Intel to give us decent mobile innards, for touch screen monitors (and laptops) to become more common and affordable, for tablet makers to get the early version 1 tat out of their system, etc etc.

Windows 8 is a few years ahead of its time.

Associate
Is it best to do a vm or duel boot?? Also, using Nero to burn the iso just ended with a blue screen when I boot to disc. Happened twice

Soldato
What's the hash checker tool for? I don't get it. At what point do you use it and do you need to?
Any file can have a unique number generated for it, based on the file itself. After an equation, that number is generated... so should be the same everything if the file is the same. If it's not... then the file is corrupted.

You get the MD5 hash number and compare it against the file, and what it should be. If they don't match.. boom.. bad file. It's a way of guaranteeing you have the right file.

Associate
It's got the most unintuitive layout I have ever seen. I feel like some old man that doesn't know how to type, I can't find anything. And it's opened in a tiny window on my laptop, have tried changing resolution and switching to full screen but it remains a rubbish 4:3 window. This is a joke

Permabanned
Definitely the new Vista. Can't wait until it's finally out, and there are no "metro apps" worthwhile, just like there were never no "widgets".

Perhaps Microsoft is doing an "ultimate" version with the promise of more apps later.

;)

Not for me, I'll skip this one. I never pay to be a beta tester.

Associate
They should keep all this app nonsense for phones. I want a computer, not a shopping channel.

Microsoft seem quite good at getting something right, then totally ruining things.

Back
Top Bottom