Windows 8 Consumer Preview Thread

Soldato
After downloading and running Windows 8 in a virtual machine as I had to use Access, I think that Metro is completely unnecessary for the desktop, and more hassle than it's worth. That said, I do like the right sidebar.

Other than that, it feels like a reskinned, PITA version of Windows 7 that is poorly suited to both desktops and touch devices - it's too half-half. I haven't had that much play time with it but I doubt I'll find anything else of interest.

If I had to design a scenario to give people the worst possible first impression of Windows 8, it would probably read something like this. You need to run it on bare metal for a few weeks to get a decent feel for it. You should try it on a tablet device if you haven't already, it works great.

Associate
With Lion though you've already paid part of the licencing by buying the hardware (so a small charge can be offset) though from what I recall OSX 10 has what I'd call service packs (i.e. 10.1 to 10.2) and they seem to happen nigh on every year so £25 every year takes it past the £75 mark which is 50% more than Windows 7 with all updates (£50 on release) based on 3 years.

Just clever marketing really.

M.

Good point, though we don't know if the £50 offer will actually happen this time round. My family got Windows 7 with the £50 offer but we didn't even bother with Vista. I think I might pass on it and wait for 9 when they will have somne experience and be able to build on it. you never know, they might allow Metro to be disabled to encourage businesses to buy it too by then.

Soldato
There are some known issues with those 2281 controllers which might be the root of your problem, I doubt its anything to do with the operating system.

In regards to being able to disable Metro for businesses, it isn't going to happen. You'll get downgrade rights for Windows 7 and that's your lot.

Soldato

Well Service Packs are really a culmination of features and patches but they have added functionality. SP2 introduced Firewall for example. All of the addons you can download from Microsoft and are free (such as Windows Defender / MSE / etc) are actually part of the Windows licence.

Without quoting Wiki if you have a look at the last three releases basically OSX 10.6 changes are mainly under the hood speed improvements/stability, 10.7 is gestures and some interface changes, 10.8 is iCloud / iMessage. All of which I'd suggest were really either a patch or service pack.

M.

Soldato
If I had to design a scenario to give people the worst possible first impression of Windows 8, it would probably read something like this. You need to run it on bare metal for a few weeks to get a decent feel for it. You should try it on a tablet device if you haven't already, it works great.

Why? Of course, performance and reliability are potential issues in a virtual machine, though in this case there is nothing wrong with it, very quick and works well. And after Vista, I'd say that Microsoft are done with releasing poorly performing operating systems - Windows 7 was pretty damn good from the start.

I really thought Microsoft had it right with Windows 7. Managing your open applications as well as windows for these applications was dead easy. I just don't feel (personally) that this is the case with Windows 8, and I don't think it's something that is going to change for me. It may work well on a touch device, but it doesn't on the desktop for me. I'll keep playing with it though.

From the point of view of a home user though, who is largely computer illiterate, I can't see this going well.

Well Service Packs are really a culmination of features and patches but they have added functionality. SP2 introduced Firewall for example. All of the addons you can download from Microsoft and are free (such as Windows Defender / MSE / etc) are actually part of the Windows licence.

Without quoting Wiki if you have a look at the last three releases basically OSX 10.6 changes are mainly under the hood speed improvements/stability, 10.7 is gestures and some interface changes, 10.8 is iCloud / iMessage. All of which I'd suggest were really either a patch or service pack.
M.

But you could say exactly the same thing for versions of Windows. Where do you draw the line between the two? It's a bit like those that say that Windows 7 was just a big SP for Vista. Personally, I'd split features and functionality, with the latter being more about capability with current features, but that's just me.

Associate
Just thought with regard to OSX Lion - if that was really a service pack, how come lots of applications stopped working and had to be upgraded to work with Lion? It as a bit like XP in that respect.

Soldato
Have had a play, I like it, I like metro except.....how you close programmes! BRING BACK THE "X" far to slow and clunky at the moment

Soldato
Have had a play, I like it, I like metro except.....how you close programmes! BRING BACK THE "X" far to slow and clunky at the moment

Either bring up the app switcher (left edge UI), right click and close individual apps or move your mouse to the very top edge of any screen, click + hold whilst dragging down to the bottom edge.

Soldato
Why? Of course, performance and reliability are potential issues in a virtual machine, though in this case there is nothing wrong with it, very quick and works well. And after Vista, I'd say that Microsoft are done with releasing poorly performing operating systems - Windows 7 was pretty damn good from the start.

Are you running it full screen? The hot corners are hard to hit if you aren't. Fair enough if you are. The rest is just sticking with it. I honestly didn't like it at first but once you get used to it it's just as fast as Windows 7. I would say, if anything, I'm marginally more productive with Win8 now.

Associate
Microsoft have made their own tablet... and if this isn't an iPad killer i dont know what is...

It's called "Sufface". The whole body is magnesium and it has a 10.6" 1080p display, HDMI, USB, Micro SD, 2x2 MIMO antennas for WiFi (no other tablet has this), kickstand, magnetically attached cover (that doubles as a keyboard!) and more...

Moarrr info.

They'll be two different versions:
A Win RT (ARM SoC) Surface, and Win 8 Pro version with an Intel Ivy Bridge i5 CPU.

The Win RT Surface will apparently be priced competitively compared to other ARM tablets.
The Intel Surface will be priced in the same area as ultrabooks, being as it has similar hardware and comes with either 64GB or 128GB SSD.

Soldato
Just seen the Surface as well. Colour me more impressed than I've been with MS for a while - the keyboard cover is particularly clever.

The hardware deserves to succeed, but like any other tablet platform it will live or die based on the software available. Ultimately it's apps which make a tablet successful rather than MIMO antennas. Expect MS to throw some serious wonga at the developer space.

I really hope it does well. The iPad is a good product, but it urgently needs some effective competition, and that isn't coming from the Android scene. It's curious how Apple and MS are coming at the tablet game from opposite angles - enhancing a smartphone versus decluttering a PC. Interesting times ahead - successes now will build empires in the post-PC world.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the end of aero will only happen with the actual release - it seems like it was a rush decision to save batteries in tablets. Its a shame it couldn't be left as an option for desktops.

Soldato
Just seen the Surface as well. Colour me more impressed than I've been with MS for a while - the keyboard cover is particularly clever.

The hardware deserves to succeed, but like any other tablet platform it will live or die based on the software available. Ultimately it's apps which make a tablet successful rather than MIMO antennas. Expect MS to throw some serious wonga at the developer space.

I really hope it does well. The iPad is a good product, but it urgently needs some effective competition, and that isn't coming from the Android scene. It's curious how Apple and MS are coming at the tablet game from opposite angles - enhancing a smartphone versus decluttering a PC. Interesting times ahead - successes now will build empires in the post-PC world.

Me also, it's such a genuinely great yet simple idea, one of those why hasn't anyone thought of this before things. It's also something which lends itself to the duality of Windows 8, metro for when using it as a tablet and then standard desktop when using it like a laptop.

Also: shock horror at microsoft actually releasing a decent advert :p

Back
Top Bottom