Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Soldato
Anyone else getting sound issues? Whenever I get a notification sound, I have to restart applications that are playing sound to get it back again. Happens in chrome, games, video player etc.

Soldato
I *never* use notification sounds (it's the first thing I disable), but I've got an odd sound issue where my sound goes suddenly quite at the most random of times, such as when plugging in my phone to charge or copy files.

Far from all the time, but it's happened a couple of times in Foobar and PotPlayer. Foobar's fix was equally odd, as all I had to do to get it back to normal was adjust the volume in Foobar (the global volume didn't make a difference).

For the record, I've got a Xonar DX and am using the beta drivers from ASUS.

Soldato
I *never* use notification sounds (it's the first thing I disable), but I've got an odd sound issue where my sound goes suddenly quite at the most random of times, such as when plugging in my phone to charge or copy files.

Far from all the time, but it's happened a couple of times in Foobar and PotPlayer. Foobar's fix was equally odd, as all I had to do to get it back to normal was adjust the volume in Foobar (the global volume didn't make a difference).

Avoid the Asus beta ones infact I 'm still using Version: 7.12.8.1794(Win7 x64 Xonar DX drivers ) on my upgrade from Win7 x64 to Win8 x64,no issues with sounds or any gaming,notifications work just fine.

Soldato

OK sticking my ear next to the speakers, the sound is still there, just very quiet. So may well be the same issue. Changing volume in chrome doesnt work, not had chance to try in-game yet.
This is with USB audio to cheapo Logitech speakers.

Soldato

I tend to skim read the commentaries because they all say basically the same thing.

The 4m it sold at launch was just pent up demand from people waiting to upgrade.

The 40m licenses it sold a few weeks later was mainly OEM stock sat on the shelf.

The 60m licenses sold to date is mainly OEM stock sat on the shelf.

I expect in a months time when sales are 80m give or take that the explanations will be rehashed again. To that I say, who exactly are these OEMs buying up something that isn't selling?

Yes, a lot of these boxes are going to be sold to businesses and most of those will likely get steamrolled with Windows 7 images. You can only read so much into a number but tech journos like playing with them nonetheless. Windows 7 is a crude comparison in my opinion given how different the situation was with Vista and how much the PC market has changed since then.

Soldato
Tried win8 install disk on a Pentium 4 machine but gives error during load. Is that hardware or flash bios to get the execute bit thingy. I probably wont do either, its an old lounge micro pc box

The CPU may not be supported. I know my old Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz isn't supported. Its of a similar era to your P4.

I found this...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33760074&postcount=20

Basically, with the processor requirements that Microsoft is imposing with Windows 8 (Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX Bit, and SSE2), that essentially means that the minimum requirements from both vendors are:

AMD : AMD Athlon 64 (Starting from Q4 2003)
Intel: Pentium 4 Prescott (Starting from Q1 2004)

So Athlon T-Bird/XP (no NX, SSE2), Pentium III (no NX, SSE2), and Pentium 4 Willamette/Northwood (no NX) are out, in terms of upgrading to Windows 8. Windows 7 and Linux distros are still an option for systems with these older processors.

Some older GFX cards aren't supported either.

That said the minimum spec I would find useful even as a browsing machine these days is a core2duo. Webites and browsers are just to demanding for older machines. You could use an older machine as a server, or NAS, but again a core2duo or newer would be far more energy efficient & smarter. So not much point in keeping an older machine any more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wondered basically if anyone runs win8 on a P4 cpu. I figured this is a common install problem, my apologies :D

Off the top of my head you'd need a Prescott Socket 775 type or later, than again some models of those didn't have it enabled. Even those are 8 year old hardware.

You'd have to be a bit of a masochist to run it on that era hardware to be fair. You'd save the cost of a new PC in months just on power savings!

Soldato
P4 systems are the point where it makes more sense to buy a late c2d machine, or just build a cheap Ivy Bridge system, with a Pentium.

For me a P4 is now pointless.

Soldato
Some older GFX cards aren't supported either.

Maybe this is the mobile code showing through but one machine is running w8 on a Rage 2 which is 17! year old hardware. Does video and everything, no hitch

So not much point in keeping an older machine any more.

Its used for iTunes, recharging - its not mine, perish the thought. I skipped from Barton to Conroe long ago, P4 always had a bad rep from what I remember

I'll leave it setup on xp and let them know about the power consumption thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Just purchased a new laptop which came with Windows 8, rather than Windows 8 pro and therefore can't install Media Center annoyingly. Is the upgrade to Pro worth it for this feature? Wouldn't use it too much, but looks good for when I will want to watch a film etc.

Other option I guess is XBMC?

Associate
Hi

Finally bit the bullet & upgraded to W8 from W7HP.

Pretty painless excercise although finding 20Gb of free space on my 60Gb SSD proved a challenge.

Upon install, steam games not working but a quick google indicated that MSI Afterburner was the culprit.
Installed latest version (230) & all good.

Usual issues with Creative SB Xfi drivers although latest driver now appears ok although initially lost sound following a reboot with creative console not retaining settings.

It would appear that the trick is to install the latest driver then put PC to sleep. Then wake and do a full shut down. Then cold start & everything seems ok, although I havn't tried an actual hot restart yet.

With regards to Metro, no real problem although it does appear some what pointless when with the exception of Bing tiles, everything else launches through the old desktop & returns you to desktop upon closing the program.
Meaning that you have to actually choose to go back to the Metro display which offers nothing.

As stated, not a biggy but totally pointless on a mouse driven PC.

Other than the above all good & with the free Media Player, I consider it to be £24.99 well spent.:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe this is the mobile code showing through but one machine is running w8 on a Rage 2 which is 17! year old hardware. Does video and everything, no hitch

Its used for iTunes, recharging - its not mine, perish the thought. I skipped from Barton to Conroe long ago, P4 always had a bad rep from what I remember

I'll leave it setup on xp and let them know about the power consumption thanks

If they don't use it that much, then there's no much point changing it. They'd use less power using a simple 3 pin USB charger in the wall socket.

I suspect they may lose functionality of the Rage 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage#3D_RAGE_II_.28II.2B.2CII.2BDVD.2C_IIc.29 if they switched to a later OS with generic drivers.

When you can pick up a early c2d for small money it doesn't make sense to keep running the P4. Its like running an electric bar heater.

Soldato
Since yesterday I'm having trouble with W8 asking me for a password when I restart from sleep. I changed it back in the power options but it's done it twice again today. I've made no hardware changes and run an anti-virus and malware scan but nothing showed. Any ideas?

Associate
Back
Top Bottom