Windows SMP Beta goes Open

Soldato
OP
I dont know if the Linux SMP client is any more or less efficient than the Windows SMP client.

From my experience the Linux OS itself is more efficient than Windows, so Id imagine the Linux client would get slightly more PPD due to less system tasks being active in the background.

Soldato
I thought this was miles off...

Does it still have the really tight deadlines so machines have to be on 24/7 to run it?

Btw if anyone wants a page on my folding website for windows/linux smp guides they're welcome...

Associate
C2D machine switched to WinSMP :D

Looks like only one client running is the way to go as seeing 100% cpu usage.

Anyone got any idea how many points a 2651 is worth? At 15 mins per frame they had better be worth some serious pointage to be better value than the Linux SMP wu's.......... :eek:

Fold on team

Steevo

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just loaded it on my Pentium D 820-based PC. It's running absolutely flat out, using ~256MB RAM and taking 30 min per frame. I need a better HSF and exhaust fan in that case! I'll try it on the C2Ds when they finish their current Linux WUs.

Associate
How are the deadlines?

I have an AMD X2 3800 @ 2.5 GHz and an E6300 @ stock (waiting for better case and CPU cooler - I can't be bothered to go through overclocking it twice) which will be upgrading to SMP at approximately 4:30pm :D

I also have a Northwood, I know HT isn't true dual core but will it work/be fast enough.

On with the Fold! :D

Associate
According to http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic18534.html
kasson says
Quote:
Currently we have dedicated win SMP work units. Three projects are being assigned at this time:
Project 2610: 1523 points, deadline 4 days
Project 2651: 1760 points, deadline 4 days
Project 2652: 1148 points, deadline 3 days

Particularly as this is a beta client, we reserve the possibility to adjust point values and/or deadlines in the future.

Associate
diogenese said:
How do you close the thing down without it having a paddy when you restart it and get "improper shutdown" messages?
Fantastic to see that's still an issue :rolleyes:
The cores can take a while to stop - best to check Task Manager and see what's going on there before doing anything else

edit:
19) Unless you plan to reboot, when you stop the client with CTRL-C be sure that the processes FahCore_a1.exe and mpiexec and/or smpd have stopped. Many folks are finding that they need to kill mpiexec manually and or stop/start the smpd service. If you restart the client without doing this, the WU may be deleted. A common message is MISSING_WORK_FILES.
From the known bugs list - linky

2bullish said:
I take it this client runs at 100% cpu usage, therefore, running this and the gpu client is redundant?
on a quad core it's alright - on a dual core it's not a good idea at all

(ooops at home for the weekend and didn't realised my bro's machine was logged in as him :o - rich99)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just found on the Stanford site that they recommend the use of the -forceasm flag.
The SMP core can get confused about disabling SSE, so we suggest running with the -forceasm flag if you notice that the SSE was disabled unnecessarily.
edit: and just noticed this too :rolleyes:
6) The SMP core can get confused about disabling SSE, so we suggest running with the -forceasm flag if you notice that the SSE was disabled unnecessarily. In fact, SSE will re-enable itself even though the messages say that isn't happening, so -forceasm is no longer required.

Its all running nice on 5-20% of my e6600 now, just got to wait a few hours for the linux one to finish on -oneunit to see it's full potential:)

Last edited:
Soldato
diogenese said:
I've just found on the Stanford site that they recommend the use of the -forceasm flag.
In the updated Known Bugs list they now say it's not necessary to use -forceasm, it can't hurt though

http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic18210.html

6) The SMP core can get confused about disabling SSE, so we suggest running with the -forceasm flag if you notice that the SSE was disabled unnecessarily. In fact, SSE will re-enable itself even though the messages say that isn't happening, so -forceasm is no longer required.

In terms of successfully shutting down the client without losing work it certainly can be tricky - given the relatively poor performance of the SMP client on my X2 I'm sticking with my GPU client for now - not being able to reboot the machine for more than a day is not my idea of a stable client :p

Back
Top Bottom