Windows won't let me increase partition size even though I have space?

Don
Show a screenshot of Disk Management. Which OS are you using?

It'd take a full system image of your PC before fiddling with partition sizes. Better safe than sorry.

Caporegime
What you could do, is download macrium reflect and image the disk to an external drive, then create recovery media through macrium and boot the machine from that, restore the image but change the partition sizes in the GUI before you hit finish.

A round about way, but I guarantee it will work.

Soldato

To extend a partition it has to be continuous, in other-words a partition can't exist with another partition sitting somewhere in between it. So to be clear you have to delete the recovery partition then the C drive will extend. Make sure you back up the recovery partition first however, or have some other form of recovering if you need to!

And you don't need any 3rd party software to do this, I've done it myself. But here is a youtube video showing you the steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiakVgAtn4

Last edited:
Caporegime
Last time I used GParted it was quite good at moving partitions non-destructively. Meaning you could move the recovery partition to the end without deleting it. Might have to do this by extending the recovery partition to the end, then shrinking it from the beginning back to its original size.

Then expand the C: partition into the newly vacated space where the recovery was.

You can't do that with Windows, however. You can only delete the recovery partition and re-create it if you stick to Windows in this situation.

Soldato
Mini partition tool should do it, if it's working on the windows disk it'll ask you to reboot and interupt windows startup to finish it's tasks first.
Delete whatever's in the 160GB (if you're sure you don't need it) and extend the system partition.

If there's a partition in the way, you should be able to move it to the end of the disk so there's free space between the end of the main system partition and it, then do the extension. It'll be a... hour probably churning away with the disks (but it keeps you updated so you know it's still moving).

Associate
Tried this mini tool, still won't let me increase the size sadly.
Just for anyone that may still be looking to do this and finds this thread in the future, I've just done this after cloning a 256GB SSD to a new 500GB SSD.

As with OP, I had 3 partitions and then a 4th unallocated partition. I couldn't extend the OS partition because of the third partition sat between the OS and the unallocated space.

Using the mini tool partition Wizard I had to move the 3rd partition to the end, once applied, Windows disk management let me extend the OS partition into the unallocated space next to it.

Post 7 on this thread got me there :)

Back
Top Bottom