1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter 2019/2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rroff, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

As there is no thread yet and things are just starting to look interesting on the model front I thought I'd start one.

Some speculation of a SSW type event mid-December (though the effect usually starts to be felt 2+ weeks later) with a good chance of significant arctic outbreak for some part of the northern hemisphere but too early to say what and where.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

The end of the GEFS run starting to show some promise for colder possibly snowy weather come December

[​IMG]

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/chart.aspx?chart=/charts/gefs/gefsens850London0.png?cb=2

Siberian snow coverage is progressing well and ahead of many recent years

https://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_v3/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/EuAsia/2019/ims2019321_asiaeurope.gif

And we've seen early snow for some parts of the UK already with parts of Wales especially getting a taste https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50376070

Gav's latest in-depth look at the potential for the coming winter:

2. 200sols

Mobster

Would love a really cold snowy winter, we dont get them often on the south coast ;)

3. Panos

Capodecina

This winter will be similar to the 2000-2001 one.

4. A2Z

Sgarrista

Good thing I'll be in Miami over Xmas and New Year, should be pretty warm still. Only 10 days though :( so will have to come back to the cold anyway.

Hope it doesn't snow as that means clearing it at work which is never fun.

5. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

I wish for the same, but you know full well that we'll have approx. 85 days of rain, 5 days of dull weather (or sun if we're lucky), and 1 morning with a light dusting of snow on the roofs which will be melted by 11AM. i.e. an average British winter, and that's not even on the South coast. I'm quoting Midlands here.

Then the summer of 2020 will be an 8-week 30C heatwave like we had in 2017 and 2018 :mad:

6. pinkpound

Wise Guy

You forget to mention UK will grind to a halt due to 5mm of snow .. Daily Express/Mail call it the end of the world

7. Efour

Caporegime

I'm hoping there's no snow at all.
    Had my fill of snow this year already (≧▽≦)

8. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

We have had a hell of a lot of rain here and so far are up to 86.5mm for November, 46.3mm of which was over a 24 hour period. We usually have snow on the ground around the 12th November and this year we had a couple of inches on the 14th. It has also been much colder at this point than in recent years. It's been below zero all day today and we have had a few days that have only reached a degree or two so this could be a bad winter on the way. I just hope it's not like 2010 when we had four feet of snow and ran out of places to dump it when clearing the road. I will dig out my weather station history tomorrow.

9. adolf hamster

Soldato

Good if it snows, ive been driving a 4x4 for 2 years now. I want my day of lording it over the 2wd peasants goddamnit!

10. Minusorange

Mobster

Worst winter since records began

11. ajf

Mobster

Wasn’t particularly notable was it?

12. moon man

Mobster

Not too bothered about snow ,im half way up a very steep hill ,cant do with the hassle (although did make it home when cormwall ground to a halt in January
    as a bodyboarder and storm watcher im more excited about this weeks groundswell ,20 second period ,drooling
    https://magicseaweed.com/news/xxl-swell-about-to-hit-europe/11625/

13. robfosters

Caporegime

Praying for no snow. Bloody hate the stuff.

14. Street

Soldato

I'm hoping for a cold one this year as last year was a bit of a wash out. I could count amount of winter climbing routes I ticked on one hand! The conditions look like they're coming in nicely in Scotland already so a trip up for a weekend is on the cards for December.

15. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

Not these days. Used to get 'em regularly as a kid they're only a memory now.

16. Rroff

Man of Honour

Certainly living in some interesting times for weather - though I'd like to see at least one decent winter in this era - the last proper snowy winter (lasting more in weeks timescale rather than the 2-3 days we've had of late and 5 foot drifts, etc.) in the part of the country I'm living now was a year before I was born.

17. Threepwood

Soldato

What ulterior motive do you have for posting this science stuff? Are you a puppet for the jumper makers? You can't fool me!

18. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

We hit -5 last night and it's still -3.5 now. Looking back at my weather stations history it's much colder than last year. So taking yesterday, 18th November as a example we had the following lows/highs over the past few years:-

All day temps are 18th November. All night temps are the night of 18/19th November.

2015 Day high +7.3 degrees C. Night low +5.0 degrees C.
    2016 Day high +0.8 degrees C. Night low -1.6 degrees C.
    2017 Day high +4.4 degrees C. Night low +0.1 degrees C.
    2018 Day high +7.5 degrees C. Night low +0.9 degrees C.
    2019 Day high -0.2 degrees C. Night low -5.0 degrees C.

I did have data going back to 2008 but the stupid backup drive failed big time. Always have a backup of a backup!! Recent winters have been wetter rather than just cold but this year is the exception so far as it's been very wet and cold. I will update if anything significant happens.

19. Semple

Soldato

Fixed

20. robfosters

Caporegime

It was perfect the first time.

Snow is dangerous, a nuisance, expensive to the economy, stretches the emergency services and social care network, and it confines many elderly and ill to their homes. No thanks.