1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter 2019/2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rroff, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Rossi~

Capodecina

It's not winter yet, but certainly felt it this morning. Nipples full-on.

2. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I always like a cold dry winter, kills off all the slugs and bugs. You can get stuff done when it's cold and dry, wet, warm and windy is crap. Bees hate those winters get big losses amongst our hives.

Being in South Wales snow is a pretty uncommon even unless you're at the top of the hills but it would be nice for the kids.

Used to have great winters when I was a kid was it 82 or 83, brilliant feet of the stuff.

3. Quartz

Sgarrista

That's not that cold. I only recall one winter in the past decade where it got really cold here. I would not mind a cold winter: we lost a lot of elms to Dutch Elm disease this year because last winter wasn't cold enough.

4. UTmaniac

Soldato

But at least it only has a time scale of months, unlike the similar consequences of Boris' "great plan." ;)

5. MR_Punk

Sgarrista

Not a fan of snow, its novelty quickly wears off. I would love it to be summer 12 months a year. Hotter the better.

6. Rroff

Man of Honour

I like a bit of novelty to break up the routine - not a fan of dealing with a prolonged wintery spell but a decent snowfall with 2-3 "snow" days I find as good as a holiday so to speak.

7. amigafan2003

Capodecina

We're going to Ruka, Finland - just outside the Arctic circle - can't wait, I hate the heat :)

8. Threepwood

Soldato

I love it! It gives me a smug smile on my face driving around on snow tyres while all the berks are sliding around like crazy. Noobs.

9. Malevolence

Capodecina

The moment a single ********* falls the bloke opposite is out like a shot putting his snow chains on his M3. And every year he puts them on the front wheels.

Really? How the hell are we supposed to discuss snowy weather if the forum censors *********?

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

Looking at approx. 3-5th Dec (and onwards) the models variations are going nuts unable to really handle the data (beyond the usual uncertainty with range) - typically in the past happening around a SSW type event. 1 and 10hPa charts show all kinds of disruption not that I know enough to read anything from it other than it is more unusual weather wise than normal.

11. Feek

Commissario

I just want the sunspots to come back. It's all very well being at the bottom of cycle 24 but it would be nice for cycle 25 to start.

12. Gypo

Wise Guy

GloSea (MO seasonal forecasting system) is hinting at a slowdown of zonal windows as we enter December, which would mean not an end to the westerly and wet weather, but a reduction.

We have seen the start of a potential SSW event taking place, how this will affect the polar vortex for the UK its yet to be seen.

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

Ah that hated zonal word heh. Still everything to play for but at the very least the most positive looking (for wintery weather) signs heading towards winter we've had in a long time.

Some claim SC25 has already begun or at least onset - technically there is some very slight activity which would be part of SC25 rather than 24 but IMO still 15-18 months away from a cleanly defined start of SC25.

14. Finners

Wise Guy

OP why do you make it sound like a good thing, being over dramatic elderly people die and there's many more road accidents as well as costing the economy!

Snow snow go away, come back another day :p

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

While I have sympathy for those in ill health who it will impact and can't avoid it - a large amount of those problems are because people aren't sensible and not prepared! and for that I don't have much sympathy. (And there is a happy medium between not being prepared at all and panicking and stocking up like its the end of the world but for some reason most people seem to fall to one of the extremes).

16. Uther

Capodecina

Hot summers, cold winters are perfect. Then again I live in a centrally heated house and not a shop doorway.

17. Gypo

Wise Guy

WOW...

Not been in long so hadn't seen the GEM / ECM 12z output....stonker!!!

OK so it may be fantasy island stuff but it has legs and would bring the vortex down and with it cold and snow.

18. 200sols

Mobster

Extreme heat also kills people! Give me snow everytime.

19. Rroff

Man of Honour

Yeah deeply FI stuff but better than the last couple of years which were just pure muck and meh at this point in the year.

20. XeNoN89

Sgarrista

I would like a repeat of Dec 2010 please.

December is the only month I would like lots of snow as it's nice and christmassy. Would rather not have any in Jan and Feb