Poll: Winter 2021/22 - Will we see lots of snow?

What will we see this winter?

• Snow blizzards and minus 50 degrees

Votes: 60 15.5%
  • Drizzle and wind

Votes: 241 62.4%
  • Hurricane Pancakes

Votes: 72 18.7%
  • Highest xxxx since records began

Votes: 78 20.2%

• Total voters
Associate
Yes I was laying in a tent on Monday night looking at my app which said 'clear' outside whilst it was raining. Load of *****, I should have been a weather forecaster, because you can just say any old rubbish really.
On that note, I predict months of rain.

I have the same issue, frequently. Both Met Office and BBC Weather apps are incredibly inaccurate for where I live at times.

Get Dark Sky if you're on iPhone, always very reliable. I haven't found anything on Android even close to how good it was since Apple purchased it and made it iPhone only.

Don
Has it? I just moved back to Leeds this last weekend but spent the rest of the year in South Herts (pretty much North London, within M25) and we had a glorious summer. Not quite as good as last year but still it was warm every day from Early May to last Saturday.

That's practically the midlands... The "South" is anything below the M4 :D :D

Soldato
Get Dark Sky if you're on iPhone, always very reliable. I haven't found anything on Android even close to how good it was since Apple purchased it and made it iPhone only.

Cheers, i'll give it a try. You'll owe me £3.49 if it's no better :p, which is about the same as a pint, coincidentally.

Associate
As others have said, and in stark contrast to the norm, we have had a glorious summer up here. Many times the hottest place in the UK was north of the border. Must've been a 9 or 10 week period where there was no rain, was watering the garden every day and the grass still wasn't green!

I do hope for plenty of snow though.

Commissario
Get Dark Sky if you're on iPhone, always very reliable
Another vote for Dark Sky and the accuracy of the alerts it kicks out.

A few years back, it was early morning and I was sitting in the office. My wrist pinged and it said "Snow starting". I laughed and showed it to my colleagues.

Two minutes later it started snowing.

Caporegime
OP
Has it? I just moved back to Leeds this last weekend but spent the rest of the year in South Herts (pretty much North London, within M25) and we had a glorious summer. Not quite as good as last year but still it was warm every day from Early May to last Saturday.

Only 65% of the Average Sun Duration in the south, been a fabulous Summer up north though.. All to do with the Jet Stream :) and a pesky high being in the wrong place for us lol

Man of Honour
Solar cycle is in a part which tends to work towards colder winters in the UK but it isn't that simple. A lot of other factors are working against deep cold developing over the arctic to draw from even if other conditions are favourable but so far this year there has been an unusual persistence of high pressure over Greenland and lower pressure over mainland Europe which would favour a colder winter but probably typically it will change just as it would be most useful for winter :s (it pretty much settled in right after it would have been useful for winter 2020/21).

Probably a pretty meh winter overall with some periods of stormy weather towing in some brief cold snaps but largely unsettled and meh.

Ice age for sure this year.

Nah 2030s for that.

Soldato
As others have said, and in stark contrast to the norm, we have had a glorious summer up here. Many times the hottest place in the UK was north of the border. Must've been a 9 or 10 week period where there was no rain, was watering the garden every day and the grass still wasn't green!

I do hope for plenty of snow though.

27c in the highlands wasn't it the last week or so? Its been an above average summer everywhere except the south

Here we go - Scotland had it's 4th warmest summer on record:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-58413033

1c hotter than average across the country despite the chilly south's rotten summer

I'd like a nice long very cold winter please, lots of snow as well.

I'm genuinely forgetting what the stuff looks like its been getting on for 10 years since theres been anything other than an overnight dusting last two years hasn't even been that

Caporegime
It's been hot here this summer. Hot and dry. Nice if you like that sort of thing. I do not like that sort of thing.

We also do not have snow here, which is a pity.

Could somebody tell me what a hurricane pancake looks like? I do not believe we have those, either.

Back
Top Bottom