Poll: Winter 2021/22 - Will we see lots of snow?

What will we see this winter?

• Snow blizzards and minus 50 degrees

Votes: 60 15.5%
  • Drizzle and wind

Votes: 241 62.4%
  • Hurricane Pancakes

Votes: 72 18.7%
  • Highest xxxx since records began

Votes: 78 20.2%

• Total voters
Associate
Not very often we get snow in South Wales and if we do it doesn't usually stick around for long, only once in 11yrs that the snow was so bad I couldn't even drive. Would be nice to get a big blizzard though.

Looking back at my photos the last really good snow we had was back in Dec 2010.

Soldato
If we do get a harsh winter - lots of snow and ice, it will be hell for supermarkets and shops. Deliveries will be even more random, more gaps on the shelves and it will be dead. Who wants to venture to a supermarket in Jan at 7:30pm with two foot of snow?

I remember the winter of 2010/11. It snowed the last weekend of November and kept snowing every few days to keep the snow around til mid March. Work asked us if we had any annual leave left to book the odd day later in the week or take unpaid.

That winter felt twice as long as normal.

Caporegime
Another vote for Dark Sky and the accuracy of the alerts it kicks out.

A few years back, it was early morning and I was sitting in the office. My wrist pinged and it said "Snow starting". I laughed and showed it to my colleagues.

Two minutes later it started snowing.

Dark Sky app closes at the end of this year doesnt it even on IOS? Wonder why Apple ever bought it. I see they are using it as part of IOS 15 as their in built weather. Hope they dont reduce the features or its usefulness.

Capodecina
Soldato
Soldato
If we do get a harsh winter - lots of snow and ice, it will be hell for supermarkets and shops. Deliveries will be even more random, more gaps on the shelves and it will be dead. Who wants to venture to a supermarket in Jan at 7:30pm with two foot of snow?

I remember the winter of 2010/11. It snowed the last weekend of November and kept snowing every few days to keep the snow around til mid March. Work asked us if we had any annual leave left to book the odd day later in the week or take unpaid.

I remember getting in the car one morning and it was reading -13c. :eek: It's never come close to that temperature since, I think -7 is the lowest I've seen since then.

Caporegime
I remember getting in the car one morning and it was reading -13c. :eek: It's never come close to that temperature since, I think -7 is the lowest I've seen since then.

Was -20 one morning for me during that winter. Was bloody cold and heating oil prices skyrocketed assuming you could actually get a delivery!

Apart for the late July heatwave, 2021 seemed to be a colder than average year to me. Stafford also had snowfalls on 5 separate days between late Dec and late Jan although it was only 1 or 2 inches each time.

The last time I saw proper snow ("proper" as in 6 inches or over) was the Winter of 1995/6.

An honourable mention goes to the Winter of 2010/11 where the snow never quite reached 6 inches but it stuck for a good couple of months due to constant minus temperatures. Had loads of power cuts too!

Man of Honour

We had two crazy winters in a row. I remember it going down to -17C where I was and that is typically unheard of. I was due to fly to Oz during one of the snowfalls and ended up getting stuck in Dubai due to us missing the connection. Luckily due to the recession not many people were flying and I still managed to make it for Christmas.

Man of Honour
The last time I saw proper snow ("proper" as in 6 inches or over) was the Winter of 1995/6.

2009 was 6+ inches here, 2010/11 didn't quite get there but 2018 briefly did - unfortunately 2018 it was towards the end we'd had 3-4 inches then as it was starting to harden up and freeze we had another 2-3 inches but that last about a day before it began to thaw. Was quite odd for the last few hours as you'd take a step and go through 2-3 inches of soft snow, hit an ice layer and then often there was a bit of a cavity below that.

Caporegime
Winter of 81/82 is still the coldest on record in England, -26.1C

And where I live still holds the record for the most snow in England, an incredible 2.1m on 14th March 1947!

When i moved into the village I got told we held the record and really interesting talking to older people who remembered it and seeing the old photos.

Apparently the village was cut off totally for 4 weeks. The pub was drank dry the first week and food was scarce, or so I was told. It it wasn't just one day of snow, there was regular snowfalls of up to a metre per day. It snowed on 26 days out of 28 in February before the big snow storm hit in March.

People used to leave their houses by climbing out of upstairs windows............

Local post office has a photo on their wall of the postie stood on top of his delivery van and the snow either side of him is still taller!

lots of pics of gangs of men digging out the local steam train, kids walking to school down narrow channels which had been cut out of the deep snow.

We really don't get winters like we used to thank god. No idea how we would cope nowadays if we did.

Man of Honour
Winter of 81/82 is still the coldest on record in England, -26.1C

I was born 81 - the 78 winter before was the last crazy snowy winter in the town I was born in - drifts of 20-30 feet high and deep enough lying snow to half-bury cars, etc. never seen anything like that in my lifetime around here. Don't think I've even seen more than 6-7 inches in the UK.

Man of Honour
I think it will be a very cold year, that jet stream has been to the south of the UK most of the summer and if its like that in winter, WE ARE DOOMED! :cry:

Like the way high pressure has been only too eager to develop over Greenland through much of the summer which it is linked to it will probably change as soon as it would be useful for bringing in wintery weather :s

Soldato
Winter of 81/82 is still the coldest on record in England, -26.1

If its the one I'm thinking of there wasn't a lot of snow just some the first day or two and that was it but the cold just went on and on it didn't rise above freezing for an entire month (february) everything froze up from pipes to car radiators even the garage which was partially sunk into a bank had some apples in storage even they froze solid inside their containers and despite being insulated with newspaper. Even the toilet wouldn't flush had to pour hot water down it to thaw it out

Not very often we get snow in South Wales and if we do it doesn't usually stick around for long, only once in 11yrs that the snow was so bad I couldn't even drive. Would be nice to get a big blizzard though.

Looking back at my photos the last really good snow we had was back in Dec 2010.

Last time I saw a blizzard was sometime in the 90's. Had to drive home after work (had some fun trying to get up a hill most people just gave up but there wasn't any other way home)

Like the way high pressure has been only too eager to develop over Greenland through much of the summer which it is linked to it will probably change as soon as it would be useful for bringing in wintery weather :s

Apparently it rained in greenland this summer... yes actual rain not snow possibly for the first time in aeons

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently it rained in greenland this summer... yes actual rain not snow possibly for the first time in aeons

I know it's the opposite end of the planet, but I remember hearing on the news recently that it rained in Antarctica, I think for the 1st time on record, with temps in high single figures. And it's their winter down there. Scary stuff.

Edit, I can't find a source to back that up, possibly getting mixed up with something else.

Back
Top Bottom