Poll: Winter 2021/22 - Will we see lots of snow?

What will we see this winter?

• Snow blizzards and minus 50 degrees

Votes: 60 15.5%
  • Drizzle and wind

Votes: 241 62.4%
  • Hurricane Pancakes

Votes: 72 18.7%
  • Highest xxxx since records began

Votes: 78 20.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
Well had a medium frost, now its stunning, may wander to rough tor, or just sit here guzzle tea and read kindle.......

IMG-20220112-112734.jpg

Man of Honour
Dunno what we've done to deserve this area of high pressure just sitting over us for days on end resulting in very dreary weather - even holding the usual miserable wet weather from the Atlantic at bay.

Soldato
My plants are loving this weather, think we have benn blessed down here last few days not too severe frosts sun and light wind, at coliford lake today but it was like summer at polzeath yesterday, small fun clean wave and free parking!

IMG-20220115-125324.jpg

Soldato
I have a look at the theweatheroutlook.com weather models every few days just for interest, I'll be honest I don't understand it well enough to have any predictive ability. But I am amazed by the way the cold and hot air react in similar patterns every few days and not just that but the warm spot over the atlantic typically being the hub of the rotations such that the warm air crosses the UK and the cold air rushes down the North Sea into mainland Europe so predicitably. The centre of rotations seems remarkably stable and hence the patterns are alike. Just means we seem to miss out on the cold air bringing in the snow :(

Soldato
In our local paper "The Shropshire Star" it was saying this Feb is 40th annivesary of the cold winter of 1982.

It said we had -26c but we only had -18c -wife and I thought we would just walk down the lane to pub and sit in front of big open fire and have steak and chips - Did 100 yrds and our face frozes up or so it felt -turned round and went back home and put a few more logs on.
One of the lads at work had a council house and all the water pipes were in the cavity -needless to say they all froze up.

That was a humdinger of a winter. -never failed to get to work though. - The teachers obviously didnt make it as everywhere was also snowed in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981–82_United_Kingdom_cold_wave

Soldato
@DXP55 I was about 5 in 1982 and it was brilliant. We had 4 foot snow drifts in the front garden and the snow plow took a week before it came onto the estate and cleared the culdesac. I remember walking with my Mom to the supermarket because it was too dicey to drive. It set unreasonably high expectations for a proper winter that have stayed with me the last 40 odd years.

Soldato
It's always brillient when you are a kid - But when you are older and have to earn a living it isn't quite so great. -I Was also unlucky enough to be in winter of 1962/3 and got to work everyday on a motorbike -somehow when you are in late teens to early 20's it never felt that bad but now I can't stand the cold and wind.
Right now in Shropshire the sun is out and it looks nice but there is a cold wind and I have to come in due to my eyes and nose running like a tap.
I do want some snow just to go out once and try my winter tyres out again. Last time it was in 2-3" of snow. Can't beat them.

Back
Top Bottom