Poll: Winter 2021/22 - Will we see lots of snow?

What will we see this winter?

• Snow blizzards and minus 50 degrees

Votes: 60 15.5%
  • Drizzle and wind

Votes: 241 62.4%
  • Hurricane Pancakes

Votes: 72 18.7%
  • Highest xxxx since records began

Votes: 78 20.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
Cold gets to my hands bad but ye as life goes on you certainly feel the cold more.

I used to suffer really bad from cold as a lad standing around in school playgrounds freezing to death feet so cold they'd go numb and used to take an hour to thaw out only for them to freeze again next breaktime. Going to bed with a hot water bottle shivering in the cold sheets. Never had the same trouble as an adult.

Man of Honour
Weather models are still sniffing around something after the 16th and usually when they are behaving like that they are picking up on something... but I'm not seeing it - none of the traditional signs of potential wintery weather are really showing up.

Soldato
Well, feelimg mild down here yesterday was like a late summer day i crashed on the other side of that sand bar in Rock, watched the big spring tide come in, mindfulness ect (also got 20k steps in)
And i dont want to share my full pic so heres a screen shot ;)

Screenshot-20211106-075328-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Man of Honour
Models still seeing *something* - current output looks more like sleet and only slight cold though. There is some disruption to the jet stream but aside from that nothing really of note - though the Northern Hemisphere setup of high and low pressure systems doesn't actively work against us getting cold as it has the last few years at this point.

I don't generally get excited unless the 850hPa temps are solidly going to -10 or below though as rarely does anything come off when that doesn't happen no matter the other signs.

Man of Honour
but many people will literally not be able to heat their homes

We paid under £300 for 1000L of oil at one point last year - now it is nearly £600.

EDIT: Actually one lot was less than that but I can't remember / can't find the bill - I swear it was 18p/L - currently 55.99.

Caporegime
If you’re cold, you’re cold. People are different. I firmly believe you should always be able to be comfortable in your own home wearing a t-shirt.
It does seem rather inefficient to heat your entire house (+ leakage into the atmosphere) so that you can be warm in any room in just a t-shirt.

That's the kind of luxury we're (seriously) going to have to give up, in the not-to-distant future. Or for the people who can't/won't give it up, massive bills that reflect that it is luxury and you'll need to stump up for that level of comfort.

And it is luxury. Not everything about the past is automatically bad. We are very over-indulgent these days. There is no "hardship" in wearing a jumper.

It's not against your human rights, or oppression, or torture, as some people may think :p It's a fudging jumper. They can be comfortable and they keep you warm in a very efficient manner.

Here, we also use hot water bottles. We sometimes wear our coats indoors :p We sit watching TV under a blanket or two.

None of that equates to living in poverty. It's just a choice not to heat the whole damned house when it isn't needed.

I'm sorry, but we really are soft in this country. Soft as tissue paper.

Caporegime
Wearing your coats indoors and holding hot water bottles? Absolutely no way, it’s bizarre to do that if you don’t have to.

anyway, we can easily afford our heating bills, so there’s no need for such measures here.

If people are happy for folk to need to have to do that in their home to keep warm, just so we can have a nice load of snow, then society really is ******

Soldato
I remember minus 20 in Oslo. It was a picturesque still scene though, something out of a movie and I prefer enduring that to 3 degrees and sideways rain over here.

Soldato
This is definitely one winter where we could do without snow and subzero temps. It’s all good and fun having snow but many people will literally not be able to heat their homes.
It hasn’t even started snowing yet and already you’re getting worked up about it.

Come back when it’s actually snowing and then moan.

Soldato
I hardly have my heating on. It’s programmed 5-6 hours a day. Get cold when heating off - have a hot drink. Still cold after that, put on a jumper or thicker one. Still cold after- then put heating on.

When we had that Beast from the East in early March 2018 - I didn’t have the heating on.

Soldato
Wearing your coats indoors and holding hot water bottles? Absolutely no way, it’s bizarre to do that if you don’t have to.

anyway, we can easily afford our heating bills, so there’s no need for such measures here.

If people are happy for folk to need to have to do that in their home to keep warm, just so we can have a nice load of snow, then society really is ******

Still doing my snowdance... BTW calm down a bit, we have no control over the weather..

Soldato
Wearing my fleece at the moment 17c, run a humidifier, then heating on this evening for an hour (dont want to be filling with heating oil constantly)
Week on friday is lookimg like the chilly stuff kicks in this is the temperature and freezing altitude, havnt used this app before but some awesome tools on it
Edit 1st one pollution no2 levels just for fun

Screenshot-20211117-081538-com-windyty-android.jpg

Screenshot-20211117-075856-com-windyty-android.jpg

Screenshot-20211117-080027-com-windyty-android.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom