Winter Olympics 2022

Man of Honour
Maybe it was his granda's drugs :o

Good day for the curling teams. Thought the women had blown it with their earlier losses in group stage.

Yeah, took the women a bit of time to settle in this tournament, they're usually better than that from the get go but got there in the end (no pun intended)

Soldato
Curling:
Why did GB men overshoot their last stone in the 9th end? Couldn't they have put it anywhere in the target to score a point?

if you take a point you give up the ‘hammer’ (last stone) in the next end. Last stone is a strong advantage.

They decided it was better to try get 2 in the next end than take 1. As it turned out it’s ended up the same really.

Soldato
Curling:
Why did GB men overshoot their last stone in the 9th end? Couldn't they have put it anywhere in the target to score a point?

I just watched the highlights from the 9th end and wondered the same until I replayed it and heard Steve Cram saying it was intentional in order to get the hammer in the 10th end. I'd wondered if it could have worked out better had they evened the score in the 9th to 4-4 but it worked out the same at the end of the 10th. That very last shot in the extra 11th end was so close to winning gold, it was damn unlucky. Congrats for them getting silver though.

Commissario
The men were totally outclassed in their final, they didn't have a chance after the second or third end and just couldn't get on form.

The girls though, totally smashed it, a great result.

Soldato
The men were totally outclassed in their final, they didn't have a chance after the second or third end and just couldn't get on form.

The girls though, totally smashed it, a great result.

I'm not sure I agree with you on that. Both teams drew at 4-4 and went to an extra end. So I don't think that's being outclassed by the Swedes. And then in the very final shot by GB, it was only millimetres from knocking the Swede's stone out of place and GB taking gold, but unfortunately it missed. It was anyone's gold right down to the wire.

Commissario
So I don't think that's being outclassed by the Swedes.
Did you watch the entire match? We were very obviously outplayed all the way through and were lucky to get back to 4-4 by the tenth end.

It was anyone's gold right down to the wire.
It really wasn't, even if they'd knocked the Swedish stone out with that last shot, it wouldn't have made any difference because the Swedes still one to play and that would either have knocked out the GBR stone or just gone closer to the button. If the former, they'd have won by 6-4 instead of 5-4.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather we had the gold but the result was fair.

Soldato
.. so will the paraolympics be cancelled - if nothing else, china not acknowleding Ukraine invasion is enough to austracize them, but flying maybe problematic too.

Back
Top Bottom