1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless gaming headset recommendation

Discussion in 'Gaming Peripherals' started by belcebuu, Nov 7, 2018.

1. belcebuu

Associate

Hi guys,
    I have a sound blaster z and a wired HyperX cloud headset, but I would like to replace it with a wireless one, I was thinking about this ones:
    - Arctis 7
    - Arctis Pro wireless
    - Astro A50 gen 3

Any suggestions/recommendations ?

Use would be mostly playing fps,RPGs, etc. Also watching some movies from the sofa.
    Thanks

2. bignev72

Wise Guy

I bought an Arctis 7 a few months ago. I've been really impressed with it.

It's even got a dial which allows you to turn up game volume vs chat volume. I have no idea how it differentiates which is which but it's awesome. I use that all the time when i'm on Teamspeak with my friends.

3. EsaT

Mobster

There are very few wireless headphones I would trust to give good sound and gaming brand stuff doesn't belong to that.
    Stereo music doesn't really care much about how badly inaccurate sound reproduction is.
    But binaural sound needed for proper immersion in gaming/movies doesn't tolerate much of inaccuracy in reproduction, before immersion starts suffering lot:
    Positioning worsens and sounds just collapse into bucket around head.
    If you haven't ever tried actually good headphones, you don't know what kind immersion is possible.
    (works also the opposite when first time trying trinkets after using good headphones)

Even actual audio makers also don't make much of wireless headphones I would trust to be good for gaming.
    Most of them are closed design which is major challenge/drag for accurate sound.
    Open design with velour pads is also lot more comfortable for long term listening, by breathing more than closed designs and pleather pads.
    (which also makes them less sensitive to temples of glasses decreasing seal between earpad and head)
    Though if environment is noisy closed design is necessary.
    And for example Sennheiser has pushed up the price of their open design model in line up updates.

Though Sennheiser RS185 isn't really much more than that trinket production Astro...
    Whose overhyped Dolby Headphone is just average compared to Creative's HRTF algorithm.
    Unless you count more bass as quality.

4. belcebuu

Associate

Hi thanks, yeah I think the Arctis 7 are the ones with better value/price

5. rawuk

Gangster

From my understanding the Arctis 7 is basically the same headset minus the Dock as the Artics Pro.

I moved from the Wireless H (basically older version without bluetooth as the Pro's) to the DT 770s. Sound quality difference is tangible for music but for gaming? It's relatively minor imo. If you want the freedom of wireless the Artics are a good way to go.

The only thing to realise it that they connect via USB so you won't get the benefit of the soundcard.

6. belcebuu

Associate

Yeah I guess I would only use my SB for my 5.1 speakers

7. neil pettitt

Gangster

Guys I use siberia 800s wireless for gaming and I also own dt770s. I am no audiophile but my 800s sound just fine compared to the 770s. Maybe the music side of it might be better on the 770s but for gaming the siberia 800s are my go to everyone. I must admit that I do run everything through a graphic equaliser so I can tweak it to my taste. As for the Arctics I would imagine tech tech is very similar to the siberias . And to finish I just prefer the wireless its just much less hassel

8. rawuk

Gangster

The Artics are for intensive purposes the same speakers just with lower build quality to the Pro. As you're doing this for gaming you're going to want a microphone. So in reality the Artics are definitely the best route in my opinion.

I'm no expert at audio however after owning the Wireless H and 800s for my musical taste the DT770s are simply better. Whether that is also down to using a DAC? I have no idea. I can only report on my anecdotal experience. :p

9. belcebuu

Associate

I bought the Arctis 7 (2019 model) on offer for 82 euros, that was a nice deal indeed! I will play with them this Thursday

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. MrRockliffe

Wise Guy

Be careful with mentioning competitor names :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  11. belcebuu

Associate

Ups edited, thanks

12. dlresponse

Gangster

My nephew has the Astro A50 gen 3 and he loves it!

13. Smok3y

Hitman

Just changed from a Corsair H2100 to asome Arctis 7s and very impressed so far. High street store doing them for £92.99 still.

14. Raumarik

Capodecina

I have Arctis Pro Wireless , wouldn't go back to wired now. The little transmitter is fantastic too especially as it splits audio for your audio/friends chat/game into individual channels by default - great if you record footage on OBS etc.

Spare battery, charger slot in the transmitter and tons of other features. Very expensive but worth it IMHO. I've wasted a lot of money on gaming headsets before, wish I'd just gone for these earlier.

15. olivier renault

Sgarrista

Don't get wireless for pure audio quality, but they're fine for everything else. I would also go for a simpler stereo headset rather than Dolby / Surround. I found them to be too inconsistent (sound levels, weird echo effects, ect...) and bothersome. I use mine (Logitech Artemis) in stereo mode only.

Still looking for for tanky (meaning, metal) wireless headsets with a good mic with good noise isolation, good stereo (like a HyperX Cloud, middle of the road but not annoying), 24h battery life, and not costing £250.

16. FTM

Soldato

my logitech g933's have develeoped stress crack in the right ear part after about 3 years

budget of about 130 quid

arctis pro too expensive for me..any other recomandations

17. AMDPower

Wise Guy

Audeze mobius is getting some excellent reviews.

18. varkanoid

Sgarrista

I've had quite a few Wired and Wireless headphones. Corsair Void, ASUS Rog, Razer, G933's and finally settled on the Arctis 7 2019 version due to the reviews which is meant to have better design and Dolby 2.0 improvements over the older model. If you do go for the Arctis 7 make sure you get the later model.
    However if you do a google search you will find plenty of threads complaining about the poor software and lack of bass. Coming from a wired Hyper II I actually noticed an improvement but then tried some of the videos to test it and I`m still undecided. https://www.reddit.com/r/steelseries/comments/5uansq/arctis_7_sound_quality/

One big bonus I find for this is all the other wireless ones had faint buzzing but this has no interference at all. They do sound the best wireless but then I started looking at the Astro A50 gen 3 but these are £200-£250 against a £100 set of Arctis 7's so then I begin to wonder are the A50's worth the money ?