Wireless mice, worth the hype or extra faff?

Soldato
I'm looking to cut the cords on my desk where possible. For people that have gone wireless:

1. have you noticed any latency or connection issues at all?
2. battery, is it a pain to keep charged?
3. which mouse did you go with and are you happy with it?

I'm basically after a mouse with about 4 thumb buttons (min 3) and don't really care about the rest of the bells and whistles. I like a palm grip.

Thanks for the feedback!

Man of Honour
Probably not overly helpful but my opinion:

Depending on your use I've found the sensor on a lot of wireless mice not very ideal for gaming - even in cases where the same sensor is used in a wired game mouse fine?!?

Largely they've improved from the days where you'd get a noticeable stall after first moving the mouse after periods of inactivity and noticeable latency but in my experience can still sometimes suffer from micro delays, etc. but I've not tried the full range of latest offerings.

The only such device I currently use though is the "Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard with Integrated Track Pad" which largely seems free of the problems with older such devices but a track pad isn't as demanding as a mouse in that respect. I've had no problems with battery life, etc. with it.

Associate
I went back to wired for less faff with batteries, but also because my wireless broke :p
Non replaceable batteries do degrade which is a reason to be skeptical, but ultimately depends how long you keep the mouse anyway. They also weigh more if that's something you might want to take into account.

I find the cable resistance ocassionally catches, but generally a non issue for me, your experience may vary.

I'm a finger gripper, so no recommendations from me.

Man of Honour
Totally worth the hype.
Gone from a Logitech g502 to a Logitech g pro wireless. No latency whatsoever and battery life is excellent. And super light too.

Soldato
OP
Totally worth the hype.
Gone from a Logitech g502 to a Logitech g pro wireless. No latency whatsoever and battery life is excellent. And super light too.
You just had to be the yin to their Yang.

I was looking at the g502 lightspeed myself, how did you find the button layout?

Also, a mouse is one of those things where it really does have to be perfect, so be straight with me: it never pauses at all, never hesitates to "wake up" after a period of inactivity?

Man of Honour
Also, a mouse is one of those things where it really does have to be perfect, so be straight with me: it never pauses at all, never hesitates to "wake up" after a period of inactivity?
Never. Hand on heart honest opinion. I normally balk about paying too much for a peripheral. But hands down well worth the cost.

I was looking at the g502 lightspeed myself, how did you find the button layout?
Everyone raves about the contour of the g502. But it really isn't built for a claw grip user. I see you are a palm grip so you'd probably fare better. The G pro wireless is made for claw grip.
The button placement for the g502 is very good though.

Soldato
I recently got the Logitech G303 Shroud (wireless) after previously having the original G303 (wired). There's no difference in response time (both are limited by usb polling rate 1000hz), yes the battery needs charging but I haven't had to do it yet and it's been weeks.

Associate
I'm looking to cut the cords on my desk where possible. For people that have gone wireless:

1. have you noticed any latency or connection issues at all?
2. battery, is it a pain to keep charged?
3. which mouse did you go with and are you happy with it?

I'm basically after a mouse with about 4 thumb buttons (min 3) and don't really care about the rest of the bells and whistles. I like a palm grip.

Thanks for the feedback!

I wouldn't go back to wired after using wireless, i currently use a Razer naga pro and Razer is one of the worst companies for QC and longevity. No noticeable difference in latency.

Might be worth taking a look at the Glorious wireless o/o- d/d-

Associate
Got myself a g703 months ago - coming from a Mionix Naos and various other wired, as I've never had a wireless mouse for my main gaming PC - also got a third party charging stand thing.
Love it, no complaints whatsoever.

Associate
I went from a wired G502 to a wireless G703.

When I was using the official Logitech software to run things, I hated it. Took a second to wake up whenever I'd left it alone for a while, and any time the software wasn't working / loading up etc the mouse went into its inbuilt mode and changed the DPI, then switched it back to normal as soon as it fixed itself.

Once I'd switched to an onboard config and ditched the software, it was great. The only downside is that I don't get battery warnings, so I just have to remember to charge it every few days. Experience has been great overall.

Back
Top Bottom