Wireless surround sound

Associate
Looking for recommendations for a wireless surround sound system please, currently have a AV Receiver with 5.1 speakers although when we move house id like to go wireless.

Useage - movies, games not fussed about listening to music really. Budget aprox £1200, would consider up to £1500. It'll be for a loft conversion gaming room.

Ive been looking at Sonos, and happy to consider any other options....

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Thanks will take a look although would be concerned if a wireless surround system has wireless issues. :D

Soldato
Sonos is pretty straight forward and pain free.

Though the bigger fight for me is actually getting my partner to agree to letting me put rear speakers in the living room :(

Soldato
Sonos suck with their 65,000 track limit.

Both Sonos and Sony subs are overpriced for what you get. Crappy plastic £700 for 18cm 300w? Can buy two bk xls 300 subs. And dual 6.5" for Sonos? Lol

Plus one minute time out for the Sony sub hahahhaha that best allow to be changed to 30 mins or so.

Keep what you have

Associate
OP
Sonos suck with their 65,000 track limit.

Both Sonos and Sony subs are overpriced for what you get. Crappy plastic £700 for 18cm 300w? Can buy two bk xls 300 subs. And dual 6.5" for Sonos? Lol

Plus one minute time out for the Sony sub hahahhaha that best allow to be changed to 30 mins or so.

Keep what you have
The loft space is a bit of a weird shape so bit difficult to feed cables around so was looking at wireless.

Associate
OP
How about just adding wireless rears? LCR and sub stay with wired, I understand with Yamaha then can be set as wireless speakers. Not too up on wireless with AVR

No idea you could do that, although will still remain a challenge as the way the room is setup only the front middle speaker will be near (under) the TV, the front L and R will need to be to the side of the sofa, and with the rears behind so only the middle front speaker than be easily wired up, the rest will need to be wireless, or with some significant cable management.

Difficult to explain but the TV will be mounted on the only flat wall up there, the rest has sloping celling and the flat wall is at the smaller end of an L shape, and the sofa will be towards the bottom of the L shape (if ive explained that correct lol), so ive been investigating wireless.

Associate
I ditched my AV and wired under carpet system years back for a soundbar with wireless surrounds. I've gone off Samsung as a company but remain sold of the tech for performance and cleaner set up. I'd be sure to look at LG/Sammy's offerings and sell or repurpose the AV

Associate
I've got an LG S95QR soundbar with 'wireless' sub and rear speakers (still require power) which is LG's top end Atmos soundbar - and sometimes it sounds pretty good, but other times worse than the Q Acoustics BT3 Active stereo speakers and sub I had previously.

Commentary in F1 and narration on the recent Planet Earth seem to sound hollow and the soundstage isn't great.

My TV (65" G3) has an option to work with the soundbar to further extend the soundstage, but there is a latency issue which produces an echo so I keep it turned off.

Ahsoka on Disney plus worked much better with the Atmos soundtrack and seemed to effectively place sound where there aren't any speakers.

Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have bothered with the soundbar and stuck with the previous speakers.

Good quality stereo speakers are better than a compromised surround set up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I do have the Sony HT-A9 system

I think it's fantastic, but I have a Sony TV which I can use as a centre speaker. I couldn't comment on what it's like without that as I've always used it that way.

You do need the top end subwoofer as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom