Wireless surround sound

Soldato
You realise that isn’t the own you think it is right? I can’t imagine the type of person that owns Sonos kit cares about having more than 65,000 local media files.

The vast majority will be streaming.

My ripped CD collection is way over 65,000 tracks.

I don't stream I play from my collection.

Other streamers don't have the Sonos track limit. Squeezebox, wiim, eversolo etc

Soldato
Shock as dedicated network streaming products boast superior network streaming features compared to a product that primarily markets itself around multi-room audio and online streaming services.

Soldato
Shock as dedicated network streaming products boast superior network streaming features compared to a product that primarily markets itself around multi-room audio and online streaming services.

Sonos port is dedicated player but still crappy 65,000 tracks

Yet a wiim mini which is several times cheaper than no such issues. And those have multi room features. Including mic that calibrates for audible sync.

Sonos is overpriced trash.

Soldato
Because Sonos Port is effectively an add on product aimed at letting people tie their existing audio products into the rest of their Sonos system, rather than being the core product of the lineup.

I can't imagine Sonos Port is a particularly big seller to people who aren't already using Sonos speakers etc.

We all know Sonos doesn't suit you or your impressively large music collection you like to tell us about but the 65,000 track limit thing is especially irrelevant when the discussion is about their home cinema products.

edit - the OP even says he's not fussed about listening to music :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Because Sonos Port is effectively an add on product aimed at letting people tie their existing audio products into the rest of their Sonos system, rather than being the core product of the lineup.

I can't imagine Sonos Port is a particularly big seller to people who aren't already using Sonos speakers etc.

We all know Sonos doesn't suit you or your impressively large music collection you like to tell us about but the 65,000 track limit thing is especially irrelevant when the discussion is about their home cinema products.

Music database works within home cinema system

I can playback on my home cinema via squeezebox.

Why is it you think a home cinema isn't part of a music system.?

Building audio system around Sonos is flawed.

Soldato
Why is it you think a home cinema isn't part of a music system.?

Because I actually read the content of posts on here and see things like where the OP says "not fussed about listening to music really" and then use that information to deduce that he probably doesn't give a flying **** about the fact Sonos will only deal with 65,000 music tracks in a music library, when it comes to figuring out what home cinema equipment he wants.

Soldato
Can just imagine Hornetstinger selling PC's, someone says they want a PC that does email and basic office tasks and he tells them to buy a £3k gaming PC because he clearly doesn't seem to understand that people have different needs and wants.

Associate
OP
Just to update the thread, ended up ordering (not delivered yet) Sonos Arc, 2x Era 300s and the Gen 3 Sub, worked out £1849 - spotted on hotukdeals. Really wanted wireless, means I can move my current AV reciever and 5.1 surrounds system to our small cinema room we are planning when we move (which is typical square shape room so wires are easily hidden).

Associate
OP
I wasn’t but now I am.

Plus not fussed about power cables as have installed electrical points in every corner of the room, just didn’t want to feed speaker cables from the TV stand.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wasn’t but now I am.

Plus not fussed about power cables as have installed electrical points in every corner of the room, just didn’t want to feed speaker cables from the TV stand.

You’ve gone from not being interested to spending £1000 more on something that is only slightly better than the competition if your main priority is music. For films and TV there’s not much between them.

You don’t need to feed speaker cables from any of the top end soundbars, they’re all power cable only or completely wireless if JBL.

I’d have honestly bought both and then decided if the Sonos is worth £1000 more. Nearly £2000 is a crazy sum of money for what it actually is.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’ll consider the Q990c for the main lounge when we move. Always fancied Sonos since my mate demo’d his system, so figured would give it a go. Upgrading from a Yamaha RXv4A AV Receiver with 10 year old tannoy 5.1 speakers so I’m sure I’ll be happy with it.

I also have a separate office so kinda like the option of moving the Era 300s for music on my WFH days.

Soldato
Just to update the thread, ended up ordering (not delivered yet) Sonos Arc, 2x Era 300s and the Gen 3 Sub, worked out £1849 - spotted on hotukdeals. Really wanted wireless, means I can move my current AV reciever and 5.1 surrounds system to our small cinema room we are planning when we move (which is typical square shape room so wires are easily hidden).

This is my sitting room setup now. I bought the Era 300s a couple of months ago to replace a pair of ones but only cracked them open recently. It’s an awesome setup for a “norm” both for atmos (make sure you have earc and not just arc on your TV!) and music. I also have a port in this room to tie in the turntable and it sounds great.

I know there are levels available but sonos really works for me (5 rooms plus a move and a roam) and I’m very happy with it. I am sure that some would laugh at my PSU and GPU, RAM timings and all that but it’s just the same thing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is my sitting room setup now. I bought the Era 300s a couple of months ago to replace a pair of ones but only cracked them open recently. It’s an awesome setup for a “norm” both for atmos (make sure you have earc and not just arc on your TV!) and music. I also have a port in this room to tie in the turntable and it sounds great.

I know there are levels available but sonos really works for me (5 rooms plus a move and a roam) and I’m very happy with it. I am sure that some would laugh at my PSU and GPU, RAM timings and all that but it’s just the same thing.
Yeah got a 55inch LG CS so supports eARC, thanks. Happy to hear some positive thoughts on the system!

Back
Top Bottom