Wokery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
https://youtu.be/zUR_ME-kacY

Good video, love how the lady asking questions has to make an attempt at making him look like a knuckle dragging idiot, usual woke tactic when they are losing an argument.
I think there is a word for cherry picking specific parts of the narrative that support your view - especially when the very title of the video is about some kind of victory when really it isn't that big of a deal :cry:

Unfortunately this thread is just another topic of polarisation. There is a broad spectrum and both sides are just raging about the most extreme views. Luckily I imagine the silent majority are somewhere in the middle.

Soldato
I think there is a word for cherry picking specific parts of the narrative that support your view - especially when the very title of the video is about some kind of victory when really it isn't that big of a deal :cry:

Unfortunately this thread is just another topic of polarisation. There is a broad spectrum and both sides are just raging about the most extreme views. Luckily I imagine the silent majority are somewhere in the middle.

Well explain some of the points raised prehaps?

Soldato
post euro's racism accusations/wokery -
Thought Rahsford's apology was well worded, appropriately humble, maybe he was being diplomatic about the racism exhibited towards him,
but the graffiti on his mural did not seem racially motivated
Supporters feel angry at anyone involved in the loss and their incompetence, and that can be non-racist.
press don't seem to have reported what was said in twitter.

https://www.wseetonline.com/rs/2021...ced-less-than-an-hour-after-his-penalty-miss/
The mural on the wall of the Coffee House Cafe in Withington, south Manchester was defaced with derogatory comments about Rashford including the words ‘*****’ and ‘b*****d’. Further graffiti said ‘**** Sancho’ – a reference to Rashford’s Three Lions teammate Jadon Sancho, who also missed a penalty in the biggest game for England since the 1966 World Cup.
If there were pictures of boris/hancock in the public domain can imagine similar disfigurement.

Seems to have, now, been conflated with the knee gesture and Priti/Boris's comments, maybe the gesture can be disaccociated with the BLM movement and Colston, in the future, but unfortunately all I see is support for that.

Soldato
They were getting racist messages on social media weren't they?

In even if the abuse is not racist, it's not ok to send hateful messages to people because they missed a penalty.
Those sort of people are absolute cretins.

Caporegime
We've really lost all grip on what racism really is, now it's just speech policing rather than actual crime policing.

Of course we have. Infact it seems that anything negative said about someone who isn't white is termed as being racist. None of the graffiti that I saw was racist and yet that's how it was portrayed in some media outlets.

Soldato
Should people not be open to harsh criticism? The guy mucked about, tried to be clever and completely screwed it up. He should be lambasted.

They aren't critiquing his penalty technique though are they?
They are sending angry, name calling etc. messages, that isn't criticism but hateful.

Can you not see the difference between posting on your own page saying "that was stupid to try that penalty" vs DMing him angry names?

Associate
The abuse on the mural wasn't racist as far as I know. IMHO it's wokery gone mad.

He took a rubbish penalty and deserves some **** just like Southgate got in 1996.

The racist abuse on Facebook was racist and unacceptable. But people should be free to insult him in a none racist way. He messed up.

Soldato
They are sending angry, name calling etc. messages, that isn't criticism but hateful.

Can you not see the difference between posting on your own page saying "that was stupid to try that penalty" vs DMing him angry names?
I haven't seen any of the abuse so difficult to judge, I can understand why people would get extremely frustrated though, the guy is paid a fortune had one job to do and failed effectively destroying the dreams of millions. Now I know penalties are difficult blah blah, I don't think he should have been brought on so late just for that so I wouldn't blame him at all, I would blame Southgate,.

But people who have waited decades for this do not want to see stupid mistakes. At the end of the day it's just words from anonymous ignorant people who have no other way to express themselves.

Soldato
They were getting racist messages on social media weren't they?
yes that's part of my question,
media don't seem to have reported the racist comments on twitter, or it's prevalence, so public can judge, the severity;
fine - zero-tolerance, I thought twitter can trace and shut down accounts which created, or forwarded, any such material.
(had done some searches yesterday and couldn't see what had been said)

Rashford's speech seems to acknowledge he knew he was being cocky in the technique.
edit: but I didn't see whether their goale really introduced a revolutionary laconic attitude that they hadn't anticipated

Caporegime

As I said, it wasn't technique. He clowned about. A conscious decision on his end.

Caporegime
Well unfortunately a single racist DM on Twitter is enough to completely blanket the media/social media with politically convenient narratives that can annoy everyone equally for maximum outrage, that the vast majority of the criticism (I would aim most of it at Southgate personally) happens to be reasonable is of marginal relevance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom