Women's World Cup 2019 Thread

Soldato
From what i have watched so far, the women just attack, constantly.
No sideways passing or possession they just go HAM every game........
Its good to watch, and as for the USA.......jesus

Soldato
Just seen the highlights of the USA game, that Thai goalkeeper was absolutely shocking. Some of the goals were excellent and she didn't have much chance of saving, but a few were easily savable. She didn't seem to be a natural goalkeeper at all, she didn't even dive for most of the goals.

Soldato
I didn't see the USA game, but looking at some of the highlights, Thailand looked terrible.

Thailand are ranked higher than Argentina and Chile. :/

Argentina drew with Japan and Chile held Sweden until very late on. A lot of inconsistency in the women's game. Hopefully that can improve.

Good point above about the level of goalkeeping; it is poor overall. Good example in the Germany Spain match. German player heads ball towards goal and the Spanish keeper made a decent save, but only managed to parry the ball into a position that only needed a tap in. Nothing wrong with the save, but she was way too slow in reacting to where the ball was going; in fact, she sisn't react, and just seemed to be relying on a defender getting there before the German player. German player got there first, and scored.

Some are better than others and a better keeper might have dived all over it to prevent the opposition player getting there first. Decent keepers in the women's game do seem few and far between though, but that can only improve if the game continues to grow and there is more competition for a place in the team. At the moment, I'd imagine that there not enough keepers competing for a starting place, so lesser quality keepers end up being the default choice.

Moving on; France v Normay has been a decent contest so far. That own goal was terrible. I've seen plenty of terrible own goals in the men's game, but maybe not so many at the top level.

That penalty reminded of the one given against Scotland against England; no intent, but I suppose we are going to see many penalties given like that now VAR is becoming more common. Without VAR, I doubt either would have been given.

Caporegime
Good point above about the level of goalkeeping; it is poor overall. Good example in the Germany Spain match. German player heads ball towards goal and the Spanish keeper made a decent save, but only managed to parry the ball into a position that only needed a tap in. Nothing wrong with the save, but she was way too slow in reacting to where the ball was going; in fact, she sisn't react, and just seemed to be relying on a defender getting there before the German player. German player got there first, and scored.

I saw this and thought the blame was just as much on the defender, after the keeper parried the defender was 2-3yrds yards closer to the ball than the German striker but just seemed to hesitate so much it allowed the German striker to slide in and score.

Soldato
I guess it was one of those times, where the keeper expects the defender to clear the ball and the defender expects the keeper to, but neither really does anything.

I would have expected an international level male keeper to have dived on to that though, even if he were beaten to it. Maybe men are more likely to dive into a potentially dangerous situation and women are possibly a bit more cautious. I know there are plenty of dare devil women who would just jump right back in, just as a man would, but on the whole, I'd imagine that women are a tad more cautious and not all women goalkeepers can be dare devils. :p

Caporegime
Australia's third goal was proper dodgy though, the lineswoman originally gave it offside but was overruled by VAR review. I think it's the first time I've seen VAR replace a good decisin with a bad one, if the Australian striker hadn't been present the defender could have just let the ball run through to the keeper so I'm not sure how she wasn't interfering.

Rather than interperating incidents in realtime referees are now interperating incidents through VAR, I thought VAR was just for obvious errors.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think they need to make the goals smaller for the women's game.

A smaller pitch and goal would make up for the lack of pace and power. It'd also help them reach the danger area with crosses etc. I think the women's game generally will continue to improve as more money comes into the game due to better facilities and more full time players. I'd also force Phil Neville to wear something other than a carbon copy of Southgates suit, has he no imagination lol. :D

Soldato
Yeah, I think they'll be on the plane home after the match againt Argentina. They'd need to win that and hope for some good fortune elsewhere.

Nice goal from Clelland to give them a slither of hope at the end though.

Argentina looked to have improved quite a bit, judging by their draw against Japan. In 2007 and 2011 WCs, they lost all six group matches conceding 31 goals in total and three years ago they didn't have a team after being disbanded for failing to qualify for the 2015 WC.

Back
Top Bottom