Woo free petrol!

Soldato
Anyone used the filling station at the top of the long southern section of the A34, they DO have ANPR, when a car pulls up the TV inside shows the CCTV flick to that car, then read the numberplate, then displays the addresss of the owner, mostly censored.

Caporegime
Anyone used the filling station at the top of the long southern section of the A34, they DO have ANPR, when a car pulls up the TV inside shows the CCTV flick to that car, then read the numberplate, then displays the addresss of the owner, mostly censored.

Look at a few of these and you'd be surprised just how often it reads the plate wrong.

I find myself looking at the ones at Brampton Hut (A14) regularly.... :o :D

Soldato
its lame that they can do that but nearly every shop has those count your change before you leave warnings where they can rip you off

Count your change before you leave is a pretty sensible policy. Other dishonest folk could quite easily walk out, hide some of the change then walk back in and try and get more money.

Soldato
People do this all the time, expect you to be psychic, I've learnt just to ask everybody who doesn't say if they have petrol or not, far easier and leads to less mistakes.

I've changed money up for people and given them a note for the change only for them to say I haven't given it to them, I just say oh I'm sure I did, they rumage round for a minute or two unable to find it. Ok then I'll just check the CCTV as it covers both tills and will show if I gave you the money or not, sure enough 20 seconds after I went outsisde he "found" the money :/ people try anything.

Also the people where you go, "That'll be £40 please" they put there card in pay and then walk out only for it to be the wrong pump, and there's is significantly more, I could understand if I didn't actually tell you the amount. People seem far more likely to speak up if it is the other way round.

Soldato
Could end up with a marker on the car for "bilking" so your GF would end up getting pulled constantly for stop-checks, etc.

Assuming the garage has cameras - as most do - they would know from their tills how much was missing, and the pump system would tell them which pump & at what time the "stolen" petrol was taken.

I wouldn't risk the aggro personally.

Soldato
People do this all the time, expect you to be psychic, I've learnt just to ask everybody who doesn't say if they have petrol or not, far easier and leads to less mistakes.

I've changed money up for people and given them a note for the change only for them to say I haven't given it to them, I just say oh I'm sure I did, they rumage round for a minute or two unable to find it. Ok then I'll just check the CCTV as it covers both tills and will show if I gave you the money or not, sure enough 20 seconds after I went outsisde he "found" the money :/ people try anything.

Also the people where you go, "That'll be £40 please" they put there card in pay and then walk out only for it to be the wrong pump, and there's is significantly more, I could understand if I didn't actually tell you the amount. People seem far more likely to speak up if it is the other way round.

I have similar issues, the public are muppets. The number of people that know which pump they're on is probably 1 in 5, shocking really as its only one number to remember!

Oh and for what its worth, if someone drives off without paying, the receipt is put in a folder and then chased up once a week. We don't have ANPR on our cameras, they can only just make out a plate :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14977476 said:
You owe them the money and they have your car on CCTV hooked up to ANPR.

Since when do all garages have ANPR?

Anyway, its your responsibility to ensure you pay for the goods - I'd call them back

Associate
This happened to my dad he got fuel and £1 worth of sweets. He never noticed himself...approx 2 weeks later police at the door. My dad to popped back to garage....the woman was not interested and said ''you should have checked''.

Soldato
Do you check the receipt each and every time you use a debit or credit card? I think you'll find most people don't, even more so now the days of signing for stuff are behind us.

No but I always make sure the amount looks correct at the time of entering my PIN and draw attention to it if it doesn't.

It works both ways. How would you like it if they double charged you and then said "oh whoops, you didn't notice it so hard luck"?

Soldato
Spend 55 quid on diesel, a pack of fags and a coke. I did say pump 4 or whatever it was, only got charged for the coke and cigs as i paid on card, didn't notice until the police knocked on my door 3 days later. Showed them the receipt and they were fine, followed me to the petrol station (literally about 500 yards at best on the high road from me) and i paid for it. Did ask the guy why call the cops when he knew me (he'd been there about 3 yrs and i've mostly filled up there and we talked a bit) he had no answer for that and i never went there again, maybe it was policy but i always got my fags there anyhow so its not like he had to wait until next fill up to tell me.

Soldato
Was she asked if she had any more mints in her pockets?

If you are not asked if you have had any fuel and you have then it is considered a gift and does not need to be paid for, it's for this very reason a lot of assistants ask whether you have had fuel even if the forecourt is empty.

Soldato
Does a card even work in a shop if it's only 59p?

I remember my till used to go crazy if I tried to force anything below £5 thru on a card, but this could just be down to how the till's were set up however... Oh the joys of working in retail! :o

I often spend 25p on my debit card. My bank statements are huge.

Soldato
If you are not asked if you have had any fuel and you have then it is considered a gift and does not need to be paid for, it's for this very reason a lot of assistants ask whether you have had fuel even if the forecourt is empty.

Really? Doubt that somehow? :D So if i take groceries from a shop and walk out without the person at the till asking me if i had groceries, its a gift? :D

Man of Honour
No but I always make sure the amount looks correct at the time of entering my PIN and draw attention to it if it doesn't.

It works both ways. How would you like it if they double charged you and then said "oh whoops, you didn't notice it so hard luck"?

It would be my hard luck for not checking, bit like the shop keepers in our example above. We are not debating the merrits of what the right process is, we are debating the fact that neither of the people noticed until after the event, which I stated in the real world was not something I am suprised at...

Back
Top Bottom