Woo free petrol!

Soldato
OP
As for those asking if the assitant asked if she had any fuel.. she said yes and the assistant asked for the full amount she epected to pay (fuel + mints). Yes both parties at fault for not checking really :)

Soldato
Never yet had to authorise coal before somebody could just take it so no, it's not at all a good analogy.

Just because the button says authorise, doesnt make it legally binding - its just a functionality thats there for safety and security reasons. In the eyes of the law, taking petrol and taking coal are the same thing - you have to ensure you pay for it.

If you pay by card, you need to confirm the amount on the display. If you pay by cash it should become immediately obvious to both parties.

Both people are at fault for not checking, but the OP's girlfriend's responsibility to ensure she's paid for the goods she's taken

Soldato
Sorry, no.

A gift would have been acknowledged by the cashier and added to the receipt at £0.

She and the business have entered into an agreement for her to buy a pack of mints, in exchange for the same value these mints are advertised. At no point was any fuel included in this agreement.

It's not theft because she hasn't taken the fuel with intent to permanently deprive the garage of it, but now you have spotted the mistake, namely not buying the fuel, it would be theft if you don't compensate the garage.

If you are mischarged for an item, that is different, it's not a 'gift', you have merely agreed a different price with the seller, who cannot make you go back on this. But she wasn't mischarged.

Wrong, she had offered to pay for the fuel, the fact that the station did not charge her for it is neither here nor there.
Much like if you fill up, and then attempt to pay for fuel while wearing a helmet. If the cashier refuses to accept payment (until you remove helmet) you are free to walk out and leave as you have offered payment and it was not taken.

Soldato
Wrong, she had offered to pay for the fuel, the fact that the station did not charge her for it is neither here nor there.
Much like if you fill up, and then attempt to pay for fuel while wearing a helmet. If the cashier refuses to accept payment (until you remove helmet) you are free to walk out and leave as you have offered payment and it was not taken.

Rubbish. If you tried that, the cashier would be well within their rights to phone the police, who would either

a) come knocking on your door
b) tell the cashier they should have taken payment

Which do you think the police would do?

(Hint, its a)

Soldato
Rubbish. If you tried that, the cashier would be well within their rights to phone the police, who would either

a) come knocking on your door
b) tell the cashier they should have taken payment

Which do you think the police would do?

(Hint, its a)

Hint it's b, it has been documented before where police were called to garage and the biker stayed there waiting for them. Garage CCTV showed biker offering to pay and cashier refusing it until helmet was removed, police were happy enough.

If you really want me to I can go hunt down the stories at some point :(

Soldato
I buy all my petrol from here @60p per litre http://www.petroldirect.com/order.htm

Eh?

And, you can buy 50 RON petrol? :D

Ultra Low Cost Value Unleaded (50 RON) @20p/litre

What's that used for, apart from starting bonfires? :p

Edit: Oooh, I love this site :D

Guaranteed quality

We can give you a 100% cast iron guarantee that nothing you can buy from us will ever harm your engine in any way,

ReEdit: It gets better :D:D

Leaded Petrol

We sell the genuine article at Petrol Direct - real leaded petrol instead of LRP. A little bit of lead never hurt anyone.
:D:D:D

And,

Ultra Low Cost Value Unleaded (50 RON)

Especially popular with Rover Metro and Nissan Micra drivers, our 50 RON ULCVU fuel is made from refinery leftovers. This is a very inexpensive fuel indeed as it is actually classified as industrial waste rather than fuel.

They're offering to sell me industrial waste? :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Just because the button says authorise, doesnt make it legally binding - its just a functionality thats there for safety and security reasons. In the eyes of the law, taking petrol and taking coal are the same thing - you have to ensure you pay for it.

Did I say it was legally binding? No. It's also there from a legal standpoint as it is illegal to sell fuel to minors and to people attempting to dispense into containers that do not conform to standards.

Taking fuel and coal are not the same, one can be done without any action from the assistant, the other cannot which makes it vastly different and they are not the same in the eyes of the law when an assistant fails to ask for payment having already given a customer authorisation to take fuel. Any other reason for non payment will be seen as theft, again I stress that this is based on information I was taught and it may be wrong.

If you pay by card, you need to confirm the amount on the display. If you pay by cash it should become immediately obvious to both parties.

Both people are at fault for not checking, but the OP's girlfriend's responsibility to ensure she's paid for the goods she's taken

Obviously.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a lot of crap being spouted in this thread! This whole gift rubbish is just nonsense, I cant believe anyone's listening to it! You don't pay then you've stolen unless you are specifically told that you can have the fuel for free.....just like in any business :rolleyes:

Soldato
There's a lot of crap being spouted in this thread! This whole gift rubbish is just nonsense, I cant believe anyone's listening to it! You don't pay then you've stolen unless you are specifically told that you can have the fuel for free.....just like in any business :rolleyes:

Happens all the time around here - too much "yeh my mate said his brother got away with it" and very little common sense

Soldato

You have proof? Not being sarcastic or anything but if somebody can prove it to me I'd like to show it to my manager and see what he says to it :)

Soldato
My mate did it by accident, wasn't charged.

Got a letter through the door from the police saying pay up within 7 days or we'll do you for theft, he went back and paid the balance.

Sorted.

Soldato
You have proof? Not being sarcastic or anything but if somebody can prove it to me I'd like to show it to my manager and see what he says to it :)

"In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft

What part of the transaction when the cashier forgot to add the fuel to the bill would be considered "freely-given consent"?

Soldato

Proof of what? People's stupidity in here? If I forget to charge someone for fuel I havent given it to them as a gift, why on earth do you think that is the case? If you worked for BP or something they may write it off but it hasnt been given as a gift, they just choose not to chase it up.

Soldato
"In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft

What part of the transaction when the cashier forgot to add the fuel to the bill would be considered "freely-given consent"?

The cashier has freely given consent by authorising the pump to dispense fuel.

Proof of what? People's stupidity in here? If I forget to charge someone for fuel I havent given it to them as a gift, why on earth do you think that is the case? If you worked for BP or something they may write it off but it hasnt been given as a gift, they just choose not to chase it up.

So it's your opinion then, end of discussion in that case. I'll believe what I've been informed of until I'm shown otherwise.

Soldato
The cashier has freely given consent by authorising the pump to dispense fuel.

Rubbish - authorising the pump is just a process for the cashier to confirm the person using it is safe, the correct age, not a known thief - its not an invitation to take it without paying!

Just because the security guard in the front of Tesco doesnt stop you from entering the store, doesnt mean you don't need to pay!

Back
Top Bottom