Work and career progression apathy.. Is it much more prevalent now?

Caporegime
Yeah my Pension scheme is naff. Which makes it much less appealing to contribute over the match. I could put more in than I do, but I don't.
I think my limit is 70 in the near term. Which is fine.
By fine I mean.. Money is no longer as important as it was like when I was on 35.

Only viable next big step for me would be working for myself. I'd rather that than middle management

My big draw to this job was the pension scheme. 9% personal, doubled.

It's a great incentive.

Soldato
I have to agree, 150k to me would see me living extremely comfortable. But this is because I live in Scotland and I would live in a home I could afford on 80ish if I ever got that high.

I'm in a strange situation where I'll climb to probably 80ish soon enough (without promotion, with o/t etc) with the opportunity to rise into management if I crave it.

But my job is a dream, and not sure I'll want that extra burden. That said when I do the pension calculations, anything extra makes such a significance difference that it does make me consider it in 5-6 years. My pension scheme is crazy though and definitely incentives you to want that extra money/promotion.

First thing i do on a morning is check the pension calc and job sites :) The pension calc gives me the warm fuzzy and helps me get through the daily grind of politics, lack of funding/training and the good ideas club.

Caporegime
It's cliché and been done to death but if you earn an extra 3k as mentioned you'd probably end up just spending it.

You'd have 2 cars. A much bigger house.
Maybe a 2nd or 3rd 10k holiday a year.

It's really easy to spend 3k a month and have nothing but upgrades to the basics.

Unless you plan correctly, and put it into your pension so you can retire early/still live a good life until then.

Soldato
I definitely would trade stress/long work hours for lower salary but it isn't that simple. Being promoted into positions with higher responsibility makes the work more interesting and more fullfilling.

I could demote myself to be an IC software engineer but then my impact on the company is small and i have little freedom in daily work.

And really, that is the main drive to move into management. Do you want someone telling you what to do and you just have to get on and do it, or do you want to plant projects, prioritize different features, make executive decisions on spending, understand markets, collaborate with other teams or companies, try and grow revenue, try and maximize the productivity of your team, lead product launches, stay on top of the state of the art etc.

The pay increase itself is never worth it, but the increased responsibilities although leading to stress and even longer jours are more interesting.
The trick is being disciplined with yourself. Everyone in my organisation knows I clock off at 4pm. I'll often check in later on and sometimes do overtime, but that's my cutoff. I decline any meeting requests that cross that line, and I don't care who the meeting is with. Once you set those clear boundaries everyone is on the same page it's not an issue.

Having that cutoff to go to the gym, go climbing or whatever, is key to maintaining a healthy work life balance for me. Ultimately, the only person that can make that happen is yourself.

I did try going to an IC role and it bored me to tears, I need the challenge of management and leadership to make working worthwhile.

Maybe someday I'll just cut back to 3 days a week freelance IC, but that's a long way off, a long as I can maintain my current work life balance.

Caporegime
OP
It's cliché and been done to death but if you earn an extra 3k as mentioned you'd probably end up just spending it.

You'd have 2 cars. A much bigger house.
Maybe a 2nd or 3rd 10k holiday a year.

It's really easy to spend 3k a month and have nothing but upgrades to the basics.

I don't think so.
I'd certainly spend some of it. But not all.
I don't want a big house or another car. I'd probably upgrade to an EV though.

I'd probably end up spending 1000 of it.

Caporegime
I don't think so.
I'd certainly spend some of it. But not all.
I don't want a big house or another car. I'd probably upgrade to an EV though.

I'd probably end up spending 1000 of it
I think you guys are the contrary to the masses. I have a very pessimistic view of the future though. Obviously clouds my judgement. I'm not going to die with millions in the bank or give half away to a taxman.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was in a senior management roll in the 40% tax bracket. It was a nightmare towards the end. When I first started working in the industry it was always my goal to get there as the job seemed quite good and I always liked the challenge but over the 15 years things got progressively worse. 14 hour days, not being able to sleep at night because you are trying to work out how holidays are going to be covered due to absences and where you are going to find recruits to come in to ever decreasing wages. People above who simply have their head in the sand pushing more and more work onto your hands. At the beginning I was purely a manager then towards the end I was training, HR, councillor, development etc. I also had absolute zero job satisfaction that towards the end it was just a pure grind as it was a constant two steps back, 1 step forward. I would interview, employ and get 3-4 new people trained to get a bit of breathing space only for another 6 to leave because my superiors would totally ignore the issues I presented in the working environment.

I ended up just handing in my 3 month notice and it was such a huge relief but I had no idea what I was going to do. I just had savings that would last me about a year or two at the most. I have always been a massive petrolhead and love driving so decided to do my HGV Licence and have been doing that for the past 3 years.

I get paid less than I used too and only work 3.5 days a week average but the sense of job satisfaction I get is something I never got from my previous job. I absolutely love what I do and never dread going to work. Yes it is a massive responsibility for the money and the stress levels when driving around central London can be horrid but it is enjoyable stress because it is a challenge that you can effect and overcome. Something I could never do in my old job. Even three years down the line I still get giddy connecting my trailer up for the day with my Spotify playlist ready and my flask of tea in the dash. I have started doing vlogging over the past month so will see where that leads as trucking content seems to be quite popular.

I know I will not have the most massive pension in the world but I know I will be quite happy do add hoc work a couple of days a week to top up my pension.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I think you guys are the contrary to the masses. I have a very pessimistic view of the future though. Obviously clouds my judgement. I'm not going to die with millions in the bank or give half away to a taxman.

There would be some creep im sure most danger there is a car.

Put it this way.

If I had 2 jobs.
A) 150k but it's the normal. 9-5, 5 days a week, 25 days holiday.
B) 60k but you get 50 days off?

I'd take the 60k job.

Caporegime
OP
I was in a senior management roll in the 40% tax bracket. It was a nightmare towards the end. When I first started working in the industry it was always my goal to get there as the job seemed quite good and I always liked the challenge but over the 15 years things got progressively worse. 14 hour days, not being able to sleep at night because you are trying to work out how holidays are going to be covered due to absences and where you are going to find recruits to come in to ever decreasing wages. People above who simply have their head in the sand pushing more and more work onto your hands. At the beginning I was purely a manager then towards the end I was training, HR, councillor, development etc. I also had absolute zero job satisfaction that towards the end it was just a pure grind as it was a constant two steps back, 1 step forward. I would interview, employ and get 3-4 new people trained to get a bit of breathing space only for another 6 to leave because my superiors would totally ignore the issues I presented in the working environment.

I ended up just handing in my 3 month notice and it was such a huge relief but I had no idea what I was going to do. I just had savings that would last me about a year or two at the most. I have always been a massive petrolhead and love driving so decided to do my HGV Licence and have been doing that for the past 3 years.

I get paid less than I used too and only work 3.5 days a week average but the sense of job satisfaction I get is something I never got from my previous job. I absolutely love what I do and never dread going to work. Yes it is a massive responsibility for the money and the stress levels when driving around central London can be horrid but it is enjoyable stress because it is a challenge that you can effect and overcome. Something I could never do in my old job. Even three years down the line I still get giddy connecting my trailer up for the day with my Spotify playlist ready and my flask of tea in the dash. I have started doing vlogging over the past month so will see where that leads as trucking content seems to be quite popular.

I know I will not have the most massive pension in the world but I know I will be quite happy do add hoc work a couple of days a week to top up my pension.

I'd definitely consider this job.
Being on the road is quite therapeutic.
Definitely something I'd consider if, let's say, I ld have had enough of my sector.

Associate
The salaries in this country are a bit underwhelming. On top of the high tax rates, what is even considered a good to very good salary in this country these days? I believe anything from £38k to £50k to be good to very good salaries. Anything from £60k to £80k to be excellent. Beyond that you are in the small percentage of the country who are lucky.

Associate
A very good friend of mine has a decent job as an electrician and earns good money but he often complains that he doesn't like the job etc and complains about having to work. I think sometimes we might get complacent and don't have the gratitude we possibly should have for our current jobs/roles. I was doing quite well for myself 20 years ago, had it all taken away from me due to stupidity which then caused illness. I'd give my right arm to have a career in what I was doing again. When my mate complains about work I can't help thinking how lucky he is compared to some.

Soldato

Share the link then!

I've got 2 years left in my current job and am looking for a change. I've always enjoyed driving, being out on my own etc. I used to drive HGV2 many years ago, but never went for the Class 1 :( That being said, i had a drive of my brother Class 1 and it terrified me. What are you driving?

I also have funding through my job for courses, any recommendations for a decent driver training place?

Last edited:
Soldato
There would be some creep im sure most danger there is a car.

Put it this way.

If I had 2 jobs.
A) 150k but it's the normal. 9-5, 5 days a week, 25 days holiday.
B) 60k but you get 50 days off?

I'd take the 60k job.

I'd choose the 150k job so I can retire aged 40 and have 27 years off! I certainly plan to quit my job looooong before retirement age.

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
Dunno if its the way I'm wired but I've never had much interest in chasing promotions. I've wanted new roles to challenge myself and to have a change but I don't earn great amount (compared to a lot on here), but I enjoy my work and the balance my employer gives me for work / home life.

I could move and earn more (I'm a software developer), but it'd be more stress / anxiety that I don’t want or need.

Caporegime
The salaries in this country are a bit underwhelming. On top of the high tax rates, what is even considered a good to very good salary in this country these days? I believe anything from £38k to £50k to be good to very good salaries. Anything from £60k to £80k to be excellent. Beyond that you are in the small percentage of the country who are lucky.

Salaries in this country are indeed total **** and have stagnated massively since the financial crisis in 2008.

You look around, and even after this rampant inflation/massive price increases of everything, most places are still only offering 25 -30k even for management roles and skilled work etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom