Work and career progression apathy.. Is it much more prevalent now?

Soldato
just come back from a week off work and it's a mess... it's like the punishment of Sisyphus... lol

Never feels worth it until I see the paycheck, which happens to be today. only 7 more years left at this, if I work and save hard to paid off my mortage and maybe then move on to something worth while.

Soldato
I never went out seeking any progression.... I got promoted a couple of times without even applying for the positions. I was approached each time by management and was asked if wanted the role. Essentially I guess it was based on their view of my capability to do the job based on how they viewed my current competencies and work ethic.

Redundancy then put paid to that career and so I switched careers and "starting at the bottom" again.... such is life.

Am I interested in progressing now? No idea. I didn't actively look for it in my previous career so I am of the same attitude now - if it happens, it happens.

Caporegime
I never went out seeking any progression.... I got promoted a couple of times without even applying for the positions. I was approached each time by management and was asked if wanted the role. Essentially I guess it was based on their view of my capability to do the job based on how they viewed my current competencies and work ethic.

Redundancy then put paid to that career and so I switched careers and "starting at the bottom" again.... such is life.

Am I interested in progressing now? No idea. I didn't actively look for it in my previous career so I am of the same attitude now - if it happens, it happens.

Yeah, it works for some people who are naturally talented at things that generally make them good candidates for more senior positions in the "average" company. My career path is similar.

But for the majority, or in certain sectors, you have to actually put in the effort and try to progress, rather than just being handed promotions on a plate.

Back
Top Bottom