World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
Is this AW3423DW monitor worth getting then and what price should i be paying for it?

I've been running my Iiyama 34" curved red eagle for some time now and i fancy a change!

I've read lots of goods and bads but tbh its too long to read.

Associate
Is this AW3423DW monitor worth getting then and what price should i be paying for it?

I've been running my Iiyama 34" curved red eagle for some time now and i fancy a change!

I've read lots of goods and bads but tbh its too long to read.
There is a big backlog of around 3-5 months for people that order it today. Dell usually has some discount codes floating around. I managed to get someone to give me a code which knocked off 15%.

According to quite a few reviewers including Rtings.com it is among the best HDR gaming monitors out there.

Soldato
There is a big backlog of around 3-5 months for people that order it today. Dell usually has some discount codes floating around. I managed to get someone to give me a code which knocked off 15%.

According to quite a few reviewers including Rtings.com it is among the best HDR gaming monitors out there.
Hmmm i'll take a look at discount codes, always worth a punt.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Highly recommend people check out days gone on this, absolutely stunning looking with HDR.

I completed it not so long ago. Well last year maybe I think. Might replay it again in a few years as I did enjoy killing all those hordes :)

At the moment I am enjoying Final Fantasy 7 Remake in HDR. Also have God of War and Horizon Zero dawn installed which both look stunning in HDR on this monitor. Going to take me until the end of the year by the time I complete all these games at the rate I am getting time to play them. I plan on doing a thorough completionist play through of them all. With God of War back on the PS4 Pro I had only just completed the main game but did not finish the extra boses which I intend to do this time :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think this year will me PlayStation gaming year as I will also grab Spider Man and anything else they release. Best part is they are the best HDR titles, so works out well for us :D

Feels awesome playing on PC with my PS5 controller. No need for a PS5 console! Give me Gran Turismo 7 and I will be golden :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This guys made a funny video, funny as in bad.

While playing resident evil 2 remake, he claims he can't tell the difference between the qd-oled and his edge lit IPS, so he's gonna return the overhyped oled

I took some photos from the video

Soldato
@Grim5 I hope it's a bad attempt at sarcasm. Obviously a huge difference! Just watched it, seems all he cares about is brightness. A good example of needing to listen to a lot opinions/reviews to get a good idea. Not everyone's perception is the same ;)

Last edited:
Associate
@Grim5 I hope it's a bad attempt at sarcasm. Obviously a huge difference! Just watched it, seems all he cares about is brightness. A good example of needing to listen to a lot opinions/reviews to get a good idea. Not everyone's perception is the same ;)

You can always tell the brightness crew comes from years of nuking sdr at 600nits+ and blowing out detail with lcd’s.

They’re the first ones to complain about HDR being too dark also.

Soldato
You can always tell the brightness crew comes from years of nuking sdr at 600nits+ and blowing out detail with lcd’s.

They’re the first ones to complain about HDR being too dark also.
I'll take contrast and sit in a darker room. My OLED TV looks fantastic with HDR on a good 4K Blu-ray. Plenty bright enough.

Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
Funnily enough I am playing Res Evil 2 remake right now and it is really good, BUT! The HDR implementation in this game is trash as far as I am concerned. It just doesn't look as you would expect. Compare that with HDR in Res Evil The Village, it is vastly superior in the latter where dark scenes actually look OLED black where light isn't hitting an area. By contrast in Res Evil 2 remake, with HDR off it actually feels more atmospheric than with HDR on but still doesn't have pitch black dark areas that are unlit, and that's after adjusting the s;sliders in game for both SDR and HDR brightness etc to get the best result.

I don't think res Evil 2 is a game that can be used as a metric to judge OLED brightness or HDR quality really. The Village is a more accurate representation of what OLED brings to the table with HDR enabled especially and it is very very good.

Add to that, when HDR and Raytracing is enabled in Res Evil 2 remake, the framerate tanks to sub 50 which points to a severe lack of optimisation considering The Village has no such issue and remains over 120fps and in many areas looks photo realistic. That is with a 3080 Ti so it's not like graphical power is lacking.

Soldato
The latest update for RE2 was supposed to be garbage I think? Not sure if it's related to your problems with it @mrk, but I remember several others complaining it was sub par from Capcom. It came out at the same time as the PS5 and Series X updates.

Caporegime
Just read that apparently the only thing eco mode does is turn the fans off when monitor is off and also doesn't count towards the pixel refresh timer? Is this true? If so, might as well turn it back on.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I actually started flicking off the switch from a plug that the extension cable is on which powers my pc, monitor etc.

It was using 16w constantly when everything was off. Most of that is probably the switch.

In the past that was not a huge deal, but come October that will be essentially the same cost as having around 60w on constantly a year or two ago.

This way also the monitor is off off, so no timers running causing it to ask for a refresh cycle much earlier than it should. No fans which still stay on for a bit even on eco either.

I mean the monitor is not like my LG OLED that does its thing automatically, so no reason for it to be on. All I have to do is obvious let it do its pixel refresh when it asks and not turn off power during that, that's it.

In the past also turning power off the PSU could mess with my overclocks, but now with 5900X I don't have anything like that, so can't really think of a reason why not to turn it off from the plug now, other than the faffing about.

Back
Top Bottom