World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
OP
Creator preset, srgb, gamma 2.4 and hdr1000 will be the most accurate modes as always for this set. Anything beyond that is subjective.

Cheers. Being playing around with settings.

The monitor really over saturates colors in dcip3 mode, looks better in srgb but I think I prefer gamma 2.2 but I think I found an issue where the monitor goes back into dcip3 mode if you switch in and out from hdr and turning monitor on and off

Associate
Cheers. Being playing around with settings.

The monitor really over saturates colors in dcip3 mode, looks better in srgb but I think I prefer gamma 2.2 but I think I found an issue where the monitor goes back into dcip3 mode if you switch in and out from hdr and turning monitor on and off

P3 is HDR color space so that's why it'd look over saturated in SDR. That's how P3 is suppose to look when color volume on the set is good.

It should only switch color spaces when HDR is triggered like using win+alt+B. Weird bug. Don't think I've seen or heard that before so might be new? Also make sure you have no icc profiles that windows tried to install under color management.

Caporegime
By the way, I reckon a few others will have similar too as I notice mine is only visible on one of my grey colour charts and not the other, so it's only visible on certain grey shades, example:

My charts are here for anyone wishing to try too: https://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/stuff-room/pc_DellALienware_AW3423DW/ColourPallettes/

Lighter grey:
screenburn_20220813_203601.jpg

Darker grey:
screenburn_20220813_203548.jpg

Just checked mine with them grey slides, nothing at the moment.

Also, does your monitor ever get direct sunlight or sun light bounce of something onto your monitor? Seen someone on reddit have that issue and it's something which affects all oled tvs where it can almost act as a catalyst for burn in.

Soldato
OP
P3 is HDR color space so that's why it'd look over saturated in SDR. That's how P3 is suppose to look when color volume on the set is good.

It should only switch color spaces when HDR is triggered like using win+alt+B. Weird bug. Don't think I've seen or heard that before so might be new? Also make sure you have no icc profiles that windows tried to install under color management.

How do I get rid of ICC profiles?

Soldato
OP
unknown.png

Remove any from here. Should look blank like mine. Check on occasion if something feels off. Windows tries to 'help' There's no reason for any of the Dell/AW software either btw. Just more RGB spam/junk

Cool thanks, I've removed it. I didn't notice any difference in SRGB mode afterwards though

edit: oh it requires restarting the app/program in use. Oh wow it actually make a big difference, SRGB doesn't look dull and red doesn't look orange anymore and gamma 2.4 looks better than 2.2 now.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just checked mine with them grey slides, nothing at the moment.

Also, does your monitor ever get direct sunlight or sun light bounce of something onto your monitor? Seen someone on reddit have that issue and it's something which affects all oled tvs where it can almost act as a catalyst for burn in.
No direct sunlight, I only had that one day on the first panel with the blinds open to take a pic of what it is like if sunlight beam did shine on it but that was just for the sake of a photo to demonstrate, otherwise I avoid any direct sunlight on the screen because it's annoying no matter what screen is in use :p

Soldato
The burn didn't really subside even a small bit so I suspect this could well be colour specific (yellow folder icons) as there appears to be no other issue anywhere else on the screen other than this area only where the yellow icons sat for weeks.
It isn't about specific "colour", but about how close to full brightness colour components of that particular colour are.
And that yellow is quite close to white in brightness and has very high contrast over black/dark greys.
Hence all those pixels are under far higher stress and wear than pixels of surrounding area.

Also Samsung's QD-OLED uses same blue OLED as energy/light source for all sub pixels with quantum dots used for colour conversion.
So full brightness of single colour channel should wear particular sub pixels at similar rate for red, green or blue colours.

Associate
By the way, I reckon a few others will have similar too as I notice mine is only visible on one of my grey colour charts and not the other, so it's only visible on certain grey shades, example:

My charts are here for anyone wishing to try too: https://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/stuff-room/pc_DellALienware_AW3423DW/ColourPallettes/

Lighter grey:
screenburn_20220813_203601.jpg

Darker grey:
screenburn_20220813_203548.jpg
Can't see anything besides the usual lines you see on a OLED on mine with those slides fortunately.

Edit: Guess I should mention that it's been used for around 10-12 hours most days for around 4 months.

V F

V F

Soldato
Cool thanks, I've removed it. I didn't notice any difference in SRGB mode afterwards though

edit: oh it requires restarting the app/program in use. Oh wow it actually make a big difference, SRGB doesn't look dull and red doesn't look orange anymore and gamma 2.4 looks better than 2.2 now.

You can see near black steps with 2.4? 2.4/BT.1886 is only for a pitch black room. Even in a dimly lit room with a small lamp most don't go above 2.3 as it crushes the blacks because of the light environment. Your pupils close with more light.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Gamma 2.4 on this monitor looks the most natural for black levels detail and the most 1:1 against my old LG 34UM95-P IPS which had the internal LUT and was hardware calibrated.

On this test: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

At Gamma 2.4 I can see all black steps, as well as the black steps chart on my earlier link of palettes. At gamma 2.2 on the OSD, the same charts are still visible, but it is clear that pure or near pure black is slightly lifted and appears faded black as opposed to pure or near pure black. I've stuck with 2.4 OSD gamma as a matter of course from day 1 because that looks the most accurate for everything in all lighting conditions. I edit photos and videos a lot as well as view media so accuracy is the most important thing for me.

Edit*
This is with a brightness and contrast setting of 53/66.

Soldato
Can confirm mine also has my desktop icons burnt in on certain darker grey shades, along with my HUD from Warzone.

When not using HDR, my brightness was set to 15 and contrast at it's default value. Mine has been used for around 5-6 hours a day on average.

Caporegime
Can confirm mine also has my desktop icons burnt in on certain darker grey shades, along with my HUD from Warzone.

When not using HDR, my brightness was set to 15 and contrast at it's default value. Mine has been used for around 5-6 hours a day on average.
Can you see this with the monitor off? Better check mine.

Soldato
OP

Sounds like dell is going to regret offering burn in warranty

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I won’t be going out of my way searching for burn in. If I see it then it will get replaced, if not when I am ready to sell I will go searching so I can get replacement or a refund then :cry:

Associate

How many hours have you put into Warzone on the screen if you don't mind my asking and was that with HDR on?

Just curious because CoD WWII was actually one of the tests Rtings used on their burn-in test the other year because they considered it a fairly low risk game for burn in. They didn't get much burn in at all even after 10k hours. I'm not big on CoD but I don't imagine the UI will have changed massively? That said I think they didn't test with HDR on.

Soldato
I'll check mine. How do you display specific gray levels?
I have them with my Calibrite software.
How many hours have you put into Warzone on the screen if you don't mind my asking and was that with HDR on?

Just curious because CoD WWII was actually one of the tests Rtings used on their burn-in test the other year because they considered it a fairly low risk game for burn in. They didn't get much burn in at all even after 10k hours. I'm not big on CoD but I don't imagine the UI will have changed massively?
I'd say HDR was on about 70% of the time. I play around 2 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, not usually any more than that before I rage quit out of it.

The thing about OLED 'burn in' is that it's more pixel wear than static image burn you'd normally get with a CRT or Plasma, and it is cumulative. For example you could play 4 hours of a game with a static HUD and then watch a full screen video after to 'refresh' the pixels, however the pixels are still being worn quicker where the HUD sits as they are lit more. Watching full screen content won't help that, in fact you're just wearing the pixels more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom