World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
* Performance not where it needs to be for creative use, particularly in gamma

I do wonder if he was running these tests at 175 or 144. If it was at 144 with vrr, I would predict there to be a slight gamma raise. Maybe at 175 it would correct this for creative use.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There is no difference for creative use between 144 or 175. I've used both, cannot see any difference. Both work just fine. Also between 10 and 8 bit when at 144.

Caporegime
"destroys", "significantly" "only to be used in a dark room"

:cry:

Did he actually use those words? And even if he did, I've got a LG e7 right beside me here with the AW in the same room.... It is certainly not reducing contrast, colours etc. to be a noticeable decrease in said areas unless you literally have a light shining directly on the monitor and even then, it's still far more contrasty etc. than any other "monitor" I have used, yes the LG will be better but then you get mirror like reflections so you'll still need to control lighting/positioning of the display.....

Just to add to mrks video, my photos with light sources/bright room:

2pij8Wp.jpg

The below aren't even HDR:

UoCIrkG.jpg

uqjKUSL.jpg

XA9eqOZ.jpg

UDIXMDP.jpg

pgqUnX5.jpg

AJbkvqr.jpg

R1ztYC9.jpg

H0Hi00V.jpg

cBleQLA.jpg

Associate
There is no difference for creative use between 144 or 175. I've used both, cannot see any difference. Both work just fine. Also between 10 and 8 bit when at 144 (8 at 175 of course).

Thanks. That's unfortunate for me because I'm very sensitive (anal?) to slight gamma raise at near black. I'm the 1% as I noticed it on the c9 within 5 mins of using it (was an upgrade from another oled) when forums I posted in said it didn't exist on theirs (I was convinced I had a faulty panel)and the likes of Vincent didn't pick up on it. This was at 60 because 2.1 gpus weren't out yet. 120 unlocked via 2.1 gpus it became a lot more acknowledged.

Its between this and a c2. My delivery date for this is a good few months away, i just don't want to wait and feel like I wasted a good while with a c2. Disappointing Vincent didn't go into more depth with the vrr flicker he glossed over in his first vid. Again, I sound really picky, but I'm kinda used to perfect blacks, so its more the minor details that I'm interested in.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So what happened with the whole, they've sent the monitor but not charged me? :D

@TNA what's the latest chap? Did the monitor arrive ok?
Yep, it arrived in good condition. I also see same marks on the screen from the way it was packaged, but you only see them in certain lighting conditions. How did you guys go about cleaning that off by the way?

Oh and yes, the money is once again pending to come out of my account so no free monitor here :(:p

@Nexus18 What are your settings mate? Mrk's setting are way to low in brightness and lack the punch in colours for my liking. I prefer more brightness :D

Not had as much time with the monitor as I would like, but will hopefully tomorrow.

First impressions though, it is better than what I had in every way except for two. The first is resolution. I can clearly see the difference between it and my 4K monitor. My 4K monitor is quite a bit sharper. The other is text. My 4K monitor has MUCH better text.

I am slowly getting used to the downgrade in the things mentioned above. Let's see how it goes. But as I say, everything else is in another league. Seeing HDR content on it is lovely :D

I am going to mess about a bit more in Windows 10, but it seems to me W11 really is ideal for this monitor.

Caporegime
Yep, it arrived in good condition. I also see same marks on the screen from the way it was packaged, but you only see them in certain lighting conditions. How did you guys go about cleaning that off by the way?

Oh and yes, the money is once again pending to come out of my account so no free monitor here :(:p

@Nexus18 What are your settings mate? Mrk's setting are way to low in brightness and lack the punch in colours for my liking. I prefer more brightness :D

Not had as much time with the monitor as I would like, but will hopefully tomorrow.

First impressions though, it is better than what I had in every way except for two. The first is resolution. I can clearly see the difference between it and my 4K monitor. My 4K monitor is quite a bit sharper. The other is text. My 4K monitor has MUCH better text.

I am slowly getting used to the downgrade in the things mentioned above. Let's see how it goes. But as I say, everything else is in another league. Seeing HDR content on it is lovely :D

I am going to mess about a bit more in Windows 10, but it seems to me W11 really is ideal for this monitor.

Knew it... 4k snob....... ;) :p :D

Make sure to adjust clear type.

Settings, same as Vincent's video above:

Creator
Srgb
Gamma 2.4

Contrast 75%
Brightness 47 iirc although just set that to whatever you prefer

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thanks. That's unfortunate for me because I'm very sensitive (anal?) to slight gamma raise at near black. I'm the 1% as I noticed it on the c9 within 5 mins of using it (was an upgrade from another oled) when forums I posted in said it didn't exist on theirs (I was convinced I had a faulty panel)and the likes of Vincent didn't pick up on it. This was at 60 because 2.1 gpus weren't out yet. 120 unlocked via 2.1 gpus it became a lot more acknowledged.

Its between this and a c2. My delivery date for this is a good few months away, i just don't want to wait and feel like I wasted a good while with a c2. Disappointing Vincent didn't go into more depth with the vrr flicker he glossed over in his first vid. Again, I sound really picky, but I'm kinda used to perfect blacks, so its more the minor details that I'm interested in.

Ah that's fair, I guess the best ting to do is flick between the modes and see what works best for you. Like one of the other reviews said, some people are more sensitive to flicker etc than others, and in all modes a digital camera will capture flicker within varying degrees on all screens really, so how much one person notices it to another is really trial and error.

I prefer more brightness

You can always up the brightness in the OSD. I guess you are in a really bright room? Although saying that I had the blinds part open today with the sun shining in and in the first video I posted the same brightness was perfect to my eyes whereby whites appear like paper white which is exactly as it typically should be for good eye health and reducing fatigue!

Although yeah brightness is preference. Just pointing out that once you use it for a bit, you will adapt and you'll think how you ever did without it (I used to have a bright screen before I learned and got into ideal calibrated settings etc).

Associate
Can anyone help me please

I got the msa 20 dell arm and am trying to connect it to the aw3423dw

The monitor came with this vesa thing. How do I connect this to the arm

z50m9nj

z50m9nj

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The bracket is for use on VESA 100x100 standard arms (like the Ergotron MX I have), the Dell arm you have does not utilise that bracket as it uses the tab system found on Dell monitors. You should be able to just attach that arm direct to the AW3423W assuming the arm's tabs are in the correct position.

Associate
The bracket is for use on VESA 100x100 standard arms (like the Ergotron MX I have), the Dell arm you have does not utilise that bracket as it uses the tab system found on Dell monitors. You should be able to just attach that arm direct to the AW3423W assuming the arm's tabs are in the correct position.

Thanks. The clips on the aw3423dw seem much more narrow compared to the arm?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Can you take a head on pic of the back of thw AW and a head on pic of the arm mount and then a 3rd head on pic of the stock AW arm mount plate too? Just want to see the tab configuration. Even if the new arm's tabs are slightly more narrow, they will still be secure as long as the tabs are in the same positions. The steel plate won't snap and the AW weighs only 6.9KG which is going to be well below your new arm's capacity limit.

Associate

Ah glad to hear no major dramas m8. :D

I did end up contacting Dell to see when I would get mine (still marked as 6th of April). Ended up with another 10% off (had 15% off from the Dell Advantage coupon + 8% Top cashback) . As long as the monitor arrives without damage and works as it's suppose too I'll be happy.

Associate
Can you take a head on pic of the back of thw AW and a head on pic of the arm mount and then a 3rd head on pic of the stock AW arm mount plate too? Just want to see the tab configuration. Even if the new arm's tabs are slightly more narrow, they will still be secure as long as the tabs are in the same positions. The steel plate won't snap and the AW weighs only 6.9KG which is going to be well below your new arm's capacity limit.

Arm is way bigger right?

Soldato
Ah glad to hear no major dramas m8. :D

I did end up contacting Dell to see when I would get mine (still marked as 6th of April). Ended up with another 10% off (had 15% off from the Dell Advantage coupon + 8% Top cashback) . As long as the monitor arrives without damage and works as it's suppose too I'll be happy.

Did they give you any updated date, or just stuck with 6th?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm interesting, both those stand mounting plates whilst similar in tab aspect, are different sizes for the plate itself and then the surrounding trim. The new arm's trim will be too wide to actually fit into the AW's recessed section for the tabs as the trim will touch it since it's square in shape.

The VESA mount won't work either because the mount holes for the arm are 100mm x 100mm, your new arm does not have holes on its corners to account for this.

That new arm is not compatible with the AW from what I can see going by those pictures.

Associate
Hmm interesting, both those stand mounting plates whilst similar in tab aspect, are different sizes for the plate itself and then the surrounding trim. The new arm's trim will be too wide to actually fit into the AW's recessed section for the tabs as the trim will touch it since it's square in shape.

The VESA mount won't work either because the mount holes for the arm are 100mm x 100mm, your new arm does not have holes on its corners to account for this.

That new arm is not compatible with the AW from what I can see going by those pictures.

Thats mad as the msa 20 is on the product page for the aw3423dw

Back
Top Bottom