World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
Oh, found something after the update, remember to restart your system after the update. Because it will after the update leave your brightness setting locked at 75% until you do. If you leave anything white on the screen during this time, it will leave some image retention on the screen or actual screen burn (depending on your display, as each reacts differently).
Hmm, good to know you've not had any issues. Hopefully someone does a full summary if its better or worse than 104

Man of Honour
Previously I posted about there being large slabs of metal behind the plastic casing on the underside of the AW, well turns out these are actual magnets not just metal, which leads me to believe they are magnets to hold an unreleased soundbar that Dell probably planned to release maybe? I was using a magnetic tailcap on my torch before but accidentally got a USB dongle to attach to one end and realised they are rather powerful magnets!

Soldato
Soldato
OP
TFT central has done a great right up on why QD OLED monitors are still brighter than the latest woled even though LG says their woled is 30% brighter than QDOLED

It's a long but brilliant discussion and in the end came to the conclusion that even 1st Gen QD OLED monitors are still up to 40% brighter than the latest woleds

Last edited:
Associate
TFT central has done a great right up on why QD OLED monitors are still brighter than the latest woled even though LG says their woled is 30% brighter than QDOLED

It's a long but brilliant discussion and in the end came to the conclusion that even 1st Gen QD OLED monitors are still up to 40% brighter than the latest woleds

interesting research, a lot to take in.
does show why the qd oleds have more perceived colour volume and quality with numbers instead of subjective impressions.

other thought that occurred to me when reading through all this:
How is the peek brightness of a small 3-5% area effected when the rest of the screen is displaying a normal image at say 30-50% brightness instead of the controlled testing where its at 0% for the rest of the screen?
I wonder if you could take a few movies screen stills and create luminance graphs for them and then present that with the XCR calculated score as well to show real world comparisons.
obviously a lot more work but would take the research back to real world examples and put numbers to a subjective evaluation.

Last edited:
Caporegime
First time I checked this grey slide in a while, over and under exposed photos. Still no sign of any burn in here. Had since launch month and on pretty much 8-9 hours a day, various usage, some reflection on right side:

6Hd7ayB.jpg

lN1PQH1.jpg

Weird how some report burn in and likes of others and myself don't have this issue.

First time I checked this grey slide in a while, over and under exposed photos. Still no sign of any burn in here. Had since launch month and on pretty much 8-9 hours a day, various usage, some reflection on right side:

6Hd7ayB.jpg

lN1PQH1.jpg

Weird how some report burn in and likes of others and myself don't have this issue.

I think a lot of must be down to brightness settings surely?

Personally I would calibrate to 100nits which is the standard for SDR contant, my landlord has ruined two oled TV's running them maxed out, I'm assuming for HDR content like a TV it just runs at maxed out automatically?

Soldato

6Hd7ayB.jpg

lN1PQH1.jpg

Try with this image... It's 5% gray. Save it and try it in a dark room, full screen zoomed in so it covers the whole screen with 5% gray goodness
5EKjPOJ.jpg

Caporegime
I think a lot of must be down to brightness settings surely?

Personally I would calibrate to 100nits which is the standard for SDR contant, my landlord has ruined two oled TV's running them maxed out, I'm assuming for HDR content like a TV it just runs at maxed out automatically?

SDR brightness is set to 40%. I game a lot in HDR though (which is 100% brightness where required)

Associate
You should also factor in how each user has been using their display differently.

Mine for example, had a period of 75% Brightness enabled with HDR as well as I gamed a lot, and I had not yet employed a darker scheme for the window borders and menus yet. Only a black/unlit background. What this did, was then create a noticeable band where the borders and menus were pure white. It was after this period of merely a few weeks that I noticed image retention/burn, but only visible on a grey scene and it only appears as a slightly darker residue where those borders and menus were located.

Someone else who had a mostly lit/bright screen that constantly had motion and little static elements, may have more uniformly "burnt" their screen and made it less noticeable.

There's lots of variations in between. So it's easy to see how some could have found their screen had burned in parts, whilst others may not notice anything visually.

Caporegime
You should also factor in how each user has been using their display differently.

Mine for example, had a period of 75% Brightness enabled with HDR as well as I gamed a lot, and I had not yet employed a darker scheme for the window borders and menus yet. Only a black/unlit background. What this did, was then create a noticeable band where the borders and menus were pure white. It was after this period of merely a few weeks that I noticed image retention/burn, but only visible on a grey scene and it only appears as a slightly darker residue where those borders and menus were located.

Someone else who had a mostly lit/bright screen that constantly had motion and little static elements, may have more uniformly "burnt" their screen and made it less noticeable.

There's lots of variations in between. So it's easy to see how some could have found their screen had burned in parts, whilst others may not notice anything visually.

Desktop wise.

- I have wallpapers that change every 10 minutes
- using start all is back which hides most of the grey bar but I don't hide the taskbar

EWYjLzR.jpg

- windows aren't fullscreen, sized in such a way so as to either be more in centre or maybe 2 windows open side by side i.e. youtube videos on one side then browser on other
- Screen saver of just black wallpaper after 10 mins

Essentially I haven't baby sat the monitor in any way whatsoever and would say I've been a very heavy user, similar to mrks (although probably far more gaming on my side and less static windows for longer periods of times prob, which is likely where his has come from) yet he has gone through 4 now I think.

Same with my LG e7 too (had since 2017), there is no signs of permament image retention, usually some very temporay IR from logos/huds but it goes fairly quickly after watching something else for a bit.

Certainly hasn't been anything noticeable in normal usage anyway and very pleased to never have to go back to lcd again.

Soldato
Was taking some pics to sell this as I plan to keep my new 32".
Found some image retention so I've put in a warranty claim and will sell the replacement instead if I don't change my mind.

I'm really missing the ultra-wide, but the 32" has so much going for it.
I wish there was a best of both worlds tbh

Associate
I've just swapped my AW3423DWF for the AW3225QF, it was scheduled to be delivered on 28th Feb but turned up today :)

I use these monitors for office productivity tasks and gaming in the evening, so 80% productivity vs 20% gaming. Based upon the last couple of hours of usage, I think the 32" is much better for colour vibrancy, and the text is much clearer with no red outlines like on the 34". Plus, the 10-bit colour and extra refresh rate are nice to have.

I do miss the wider screen format for documentation writing; having two docs side-by-side was much easier on the widescreen. But in the short time I've used it, this is the best initial experience I've had with a monitor in 30 years of PC building/owning. I'm going to fire up some games tonight and have my PS5 hooked up to it, I'm looking forward to that!

Back
Top Bottom