World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Man of Honour
The only thing I will say to that is that OLED isn't as smooth for cinematic motion as there's the BFI issue due to OLED's motion when watching 24fps movies. Anything with horizontal panning you can notice the motion judder, it's not a distraction when you get used to it but 24fps film content is definitely a better more natural feeling experience.

For example though, LG's OLED TVs have BFI but only at certain frameratesm 60, 90, 120 etc. Perfect for games, but watching 24fps cinematic content you can notice the juddering when the camera pans side to side.

The DW and DWF do not support any sort of BFI tech, as per RTINGS:

Backlight Strobing (BFI)

Backlight Strobing (BFI)

No BFI

Maximum Frequency

N/A

Minimum Frequency

N/A

Longest Pulse Width Brightness

N/A

Shortest Pulse Width Brightness

N/A

Pulse Width Control

No BFI

Pulse Phase Control

No BFI

Pulse Amplitude Control

No BFI

VRR At The Same Time

No BFI

The Dell AW3423DWF doesn't have a black frame insertion feature to further reduce persistence blur.

So realistically if solely consuming gaming and cinematic media, then an OLED TV that has VRR is the better option as a PC display purely for that BFI.

We may see Gen 3 of QD-OLED support it though. I have not checked if the LG WOLED monitors support BFI though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The only thing I will say to that is that OLED isn't as smooth for cinematic motion as there's the BFI issue due to OLED's motion when watching 24fps movies. Anything with horizontal panning you can notice the motion judder, it's not a distraction when you get used to it but 24fps film content is definitely a better more natural feeling experience.

For example though, LG's OLED TVs have BFI but only at certain frameratesm 60, 90, 120 etc. Perfect for games, but watching 24fps cinematic content you can notice the juddering when the camera pans side to side.

So realistically if solely consuming gaming and cinematic media, then an OLED TV that has VRR is the better option as a PC display purely for that BFI.

We may see Gen 3 of QD-OLED support it though. I have not checked if the LG WOLED monitors support BFI though.

That's also because oleds pixel response time is instant where as LCD is not so stuttering with lower FPS, inconsistent frame pacing and so on is more noticeable on oled. LCD tech basically masks/hides such issues.

Associate

BFI is not worth using on oled displays as it reduces already low brightness by half.

Man of Honour
There needs to be an alternative though for 24fps cinematic content, 24fps isn't going anywhere either, HOllywood tried 60fps but audiences didn't like it and nothing felt right, 24fps is where cinema will always remains really.

Caporegime
24fps judder does bother me but there are always going to be compromises with current technology. You pick your poison.

The only panel I could have over an OLED now for productivity/work would be one of those 6k Dell monitors but I ain’t dropping north of £2k on one of those.

Last edited:
Associate
This burn in is why I'm still hesitant to get an OLED monitor. I don't WFH that often (every Friday then additional days during school holidays and when other matters require it)so I'm probably being overly finicky, but I just know I'll worry about it too much. OTTH after gaming on my S95B exclusively for the last 3 months when I did briefly return to my Odyssey G7 VA (not the newer mini-LED one) it looked garbage, partially the low PPI (32" is too large for 1440p) but mainly the contrast and lack of colour vibrancy.

Damnit, so torn! The Q27G3XMN looks like it could be a decent stopgap as once the small extension on the back of my house is finished I'll be back at my desk (playing with a piece of cardboard to prop up my m&kB while sat on the sofa is a PITA!).

Associate
Once you're used to the judder, you can never go back to that 'soap opera' motion interpolation imo
You can reduce judder without introducing soap opera effect.
I’m using dejudder 3 out of 10 on my Samsung and 2 out of 10 on my LG.
Reduces judder and increases fluidity while still looking like film.

Man of Honour
Dejudder plugin?

Replacement arrived today

Old:
Manf date: August 2023
Revision: A07
FW: 205

Replacement:
Manf date: November 2023
Revision: A09
FW: 205

It was in a retail box so doesn't seem to have been a refurb but something they've obvious opened at the factory as the latest FW was installed too. The same usual transit marks on the screen which I had to wipe with a damp microfibre. The fan noise has a frequency hum on this though which the old one did not have, this is at a resonance that I think could be slightly annoying.

Man of Honour
I'm actually reaching the tipping point, after NINE REVISIONS why have Dell not been able to make the fan noise consistent or simply better yet, remove the Gsync fan entirely? It's 2024 and we already have models from other brands using passive heatsinks.... This low frequency hum is audible no matter where I stand in the room, it's a resonant frequency that is always there, if I did complain about it I am sure they will just say some bs "it's normal" etc but I guess I can say well I've had 5 now and this is the only one to hum at this resonance....

Big sigh.

I'm tempted to just sell it on marketplace or something and get something else and just wait for an actual next gen QD-OLEd/POLED/WOLED model that has none of these annoyances.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
DELL will be blacklisting you soon anyway. Time for a name change in real life?

Surprised they have not already :cry:

I'm tempted to just sell it on marketplace or something and get something else and just wait for an actual next gen QD-OLEd/POLED/WOLED model that has none of these annoyances.

Do it. Will be fun seeing you go back to IPS :D

Back
Top Bottom