World of Warcraft: Classic

Soldato
This is pretty exciting for me. I might actually re-activate my World of Warcraft account for this. I quit before the first expansion came out and I'd love to go back and see what I missed and / or forgot about. I used to love doing battlegrounds for instance.

Exactly the same as me so I'm definitely going to come back for it :)

Soldato
Hmm you have my attention :p

I got a few chills when I saw the dwarf with his wolf - Brought me back to my youth a little :p

I'd definitely be keen to give it a go for nostalgias sake

Soldato
OP
It depends how "vanilla" it is.

Let's not forgot how many horrific things were part of the original game before we remember all the good stuff :) I'm talking about stuff like only

1 viable spec for every class - Good! No 'all classes do all things' ********, I'm all for 2 talent specs, but even that was a bit annoying. Either your a shadow priest, or a healer... Combat rogue, or assassin...
5 min Paladin buffs - Great! Work out viable rotations
farming souls on Warlocks both pre-raid and mid-raid - Warlocks had it easy leveling, only fair they had some short comings in other areas
bags and bags of Hunter ammo - Well yea, a hunter shoots a projectile, it shouldn't come out of thin air
bots farming resource nodes all day long - Yea, never a nice thing
spells needed reagents - Same as the hunter thing, as a rogue, I'd need to use some flash powder to vanish! If I forgot, my fault and I'd lose the world PVP fight
green quality resist gear to survive in raids - Never experienced this, mind you, I never did much raiding
spirit stat (on non-Mana classes as well!) - Same as above
max debuffs on targets was so low Warlocks were garbage - work out which debuffs work best in the raid then
heals-over-time didn't stack - Good, makes needing healers all the more important!
wands *shudder* - A mage is a mage, if they run out of mana or the mob is near death, then a wand is fine?
30 minute long flight paths no "constant" flight paths (you had to land, pick a new route, fly there, pick another, repeat) - This, this is what I love, a huge world, not instant teleport!
no LFG finder - THE WORST OFFENDER, this is what ruined WoW for me. It made the game feel 10 times smaller
... the list goes on.

With the above, something tells me you won't be liking it if it's pure vanilla and most won't bother if it has the above in...

Soldato
I'm wondering if its going to be more like an expansion with a vanilla & current hybrid ruleset and vanilla content. Can't see them going full early vanilla tbh.

Here's betting they charge for it plus the monthly fees. This has Activision milking all over it.

Soldato
I think it's all way to late really. Most people have moved on to better MMORPGs. Vanilla won't hold up against modern competition, especially when asking for a subscription.

The game has been going in the wrong direction for about 10 years and bleeding subscribers the whole time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think it's all way to late really. Most people have moved on to better MMORPGs. Vanilla won't hold up against modern competition, especially when asking for a subscription.

The game has been going in the wrong direction for about 10 years and bleeding subscribers the whole time.

On the contrary, no MMO has grabbed me since as they all seem to be far too easy or focused on the player, not the multiplayer side.

Soldato
Sounds good to me. Modern MMOs have taken out all the things that make MMOs feel big so I'm all for long travel times, having to farm to raid, long quest lines etc etc. But then I am an old EverQuest player so perhaps I'm used to MMOs that don't hold your hand as much.

Same, I played EQ for a very long time :) Druid, unfortunately, wasn't exactly the first pick for a raid (or the 2nd last pick in lots of cases...) but loved them all the same! Halfling master race! But I bet there are things you'd remember about EQ now, like I do, that really just sucked or were highly inconvenient. That's the point I was trying to raise with vanilla Warcraft.

With the above, something tells me you won't be liking it if it's pure vanilla and most won't bother if it has the above in...

Come on, agnes, some of those points are very valid. Don't automatically assume that I'll dislike Classic because I didn't like some of the vanilla features, or that those points aren't a massive put off for lots of players. I'm very much looking forward to Classic as even if they just literally made a copy/paste of the original game with all the downsides the pro's would still heavily outweigh the con's, but some of those con's I listed were giant deal breakers for many people and it wasn't even an exhaustive list.

* 1 viable spec is not a "Good!" thing, it never was. Mage's had to use Frost because everything was immune to Fire damage and Arcane was garbage (it had 'Wand Mastery' ...), Druids healed (Cat Form didn't even scale AP properly, you did potato damage) or were Innervate bots, Shadow Priests couldn't raid because you were half a Warlock and took all the debuff slots. Ret Paladins had two buttons (literally!) and 85% of their damage was auto-attacks and Prot Paladins didn't even have a Taunt skill, so they just buffed people in Holy and healed a bit. The only exceptional was Warriors as Protection was the only good tanking spec in the game, Arms was incredibly for PvP and Fury was so good that you'd pull agro every 20 seconds because you generate that much threat through raw damage. Lots of Prot Warriors ended up with a hybrid Fury spec because of it.
* 5 min Paladin buffs was "Great!" ? You literally just buffed people for 4+ hours in a raid. The only time you got a break was a boss fight, and even then you had to rebuff mid-fight as by the time you finished buffing 40 people the first guy's buff timer was down to 3 minutes.
* I can kind of concede on the farming of Souls Shards, but in vanilla you lost them if you DC'd. That was not good. They also didn't stack, and some of your spells used them. DC pre-boss? Unluckly, as you're now fighting at 40% efficiency until you get some shards back from trash.
* The fact hunters had to use ammo was not a bad thing, it was great and I'm disappointed it was taken out. Having to lose a bag slot to use a quiver was though was bad and that you needed a good 4 bags of ammo for a raid.
* "work out which debuffs work best in the raid then" it's not that simple. Even things like taunt use to knock debuffs off. Good luck trying to raid as a Shadow Priest, or anything that used too many debuff slots.
* "Good, makes needing healers all the more important!", no it's not "good", whichever healer had the most spellpower got their HoTs on. Everyone else couldn't use theirs because "a more powerful spell is already active". Multiples of that healer became less important and in some cases detrimental (especially for Druids).

Flight paths are debatable. In some regards it was great as it made world feel larger because it took that much longer to traverse it. On the downside thought it took that long to get to far reaching places that you could spend half a play session on a flight path, and you couldn't even just log-in and go AFK until you get there because you had to pick a new destination at every point.

No LFG finder is down to the person. There were pro's and con's, but what I liked about no LFG finder was the interaction with other players was more personal and they were more difficult/longer, what I hated that there was no LFG finder like we had today was getting a group was a massive chore. Spam in a city for half an hour, manually go to the dungeon instance, wait for the people who are late because they are so far away and they have to do the flight path thing mentioned above, then do the instance.

Soldato
On the contrary, no MMO has grabbed me since as they all seem to be far too easy or focused on the player, not the multiplayer side.

I loved it too. But after playing modern MMOs like ESO I wouldn't go back. Definitely not for £10 a month. It was good at the time, but it was a very grindy and repetitive game with some poor mechanics (like the crafting).

It was the community that made the game what it was, but sadly thats long gone.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are taking the Jagex approach which is very smart. Hopefully it won't just be a vanilla server with skeleton crew maintenance and instead updates with new content that strictly adheres to the mechanics and flavor of vanilla, that would be amazing.

Soldato
As a hunter vanilla hunter who had an alt specifically created to mine thorium and create thorium ammo I like the sound of this. The moment they removed ammo from the game it all started to feel a little less real (I know) and it all mattered less.
It's the little things!

Soldato
OP
As a hunter vanilla hunter who had an alt specifically created to mine thorium and create thorium ammo I like the sound of this. The moment they removed ammo from the game it all started to feel a little less real (I know) and it all mattered less.
It's the little things!

I used to love getting items I needed for spells, specially as a rogue, stocking up ready for an evening in AV. Loved it.

Associate
Just saw about the Legacy server on another forum, thought was a prank at first.
Started in TBC, finished mid-(yawn)Cataclysm.
Think my interest just piqued! :D

Oh, yeah. New expac's, meh. Not played for years & not interested, but guildies will possibly be ;)

Sgarrista
Commissario
Vanilla AV oh my...

I remember helping a friend farm high warlord, we literally rotated on his PC for days on end, one particular AV lasted so long it was a bit of a joke "oh same av" "yep, you take over".

I am fangirling so hard now, will be hardcoring this up.

As for people moaning about the **** things, thats what made it so good! Everything required effort, no click of a button instant content, if you wanted to do a dungeon you had to frikkin walk there! None of this in a que insta teleport crap.

Back
Top Bottom