Worst places in England.

Soldato
I was born in Dewsbury and yes its pretty grim now ,back in the day there was an independent cinema and an M&S now its brighthouse a few charity shops and low end product shops and empty units.
The thing that gets me is the people there look beaten by life ,existing not living but i see that in lots of places i visit like Swindon for instance

You need to be where you love to be or you are wasting your life

Permabanned
OP
I was born in Dewsbury and yes its pretty grim now ,back in the day there was an independent cinema and an M&S now its brighthouse a few charity shops and low end product shops and empty units.
The thing that gets me is the people there look beaten by life ,existing not living but i see that in lots of places i visit like Swindon for instance

You need to be where you love to be or you are wasting your life
I think the move to online shops has not helped any town though, where I live we lost a few good shops, it is mostly womens clothes shop, 1 extremely expensive clothes shop that sells mens gear and a Primark, but the upside is that we live in a prosperous place where development is always happening and changes happen.
Also as muich as some of us complain, it is amuch better place than others - Tamworth.

It helps that the place is not deeply rooted in industrial revolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
Many of the former mining places were bustling hives of activity before the pits were shut and communities left to die with no replacement for the jobs lost.

That's why you find a few in the North East but then the the North East also has some of the most beautiful pieces of nature in England.

Man of Honour
Many of the former mining places were bustling hives of activity before the pits were shut and communities left to die with no replacement for the jobs lost.

That's why you find a few in the North East but then the the North East also has some of the most beautiful pieces of nature in England.
I think the move to remote working could really help towns like that. I can do my job fully remotely. In theory I could move there, enjoy beauty, save a fortune on living costs, and still work remotely for higher paying companies down south. If enough people do that, then money would be injected into the areas.

Permabanned
I think the move to remote working could really help towns like that. I can do my job fully remotely. In theory I could move there, enjoy beauty, save a fortune on living costs, and still work remotely for higher paying companies down south. If enough people do that, then money would be injected into the areas.

I work remotely now can do it anywhere I like and I feel I’ve got more time for myself.

Commissario
That’s effectively what I did over five years ago. Pre-Covid I got a job in a company based in Woking and worked fully from home. I was being paid Woking wages and living in the sticks. It was great until the swines made me (and hundreds of other people) redundant “due to Covid” rather than furloughing us.

Soldato
I live near Stratford on Avon, very touristy, lots of wealthy people, and behind the Shakespearean facade it's a ****hole. Boarded up shops, charity shops, deprivation, drugs, homeless people sleeping in doorways...
Just another 'wealthy' English town in a broken UK 2022.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That’s effectively what I did over five years ago. Pre-Covid I got a job in a company based in Woking and worked fully from home. I was being paid Woking wages and living in the sticks. It was great until the swines made me (and hundreds of other people) redundant “due to Covid” rather than furloughing us.
A bit similar to me. I haven't been in the office for 2.5 years now. But just made redundant as they moved my role to another country. Interestingly just about every job I've applied for has hybrid working. I rarely see my sector of work fully in the office any more and wouldn't apply for one if I saw it (I have a job offer on the table, just considering whether to take it). Currently enjoying gardening leave though :)

Hope you found another job or will do soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
I live near Stratford on Avon, very touristy, lots of wealthy people, and behind the Shakespearean facade it's a ****hole. Boarded up shops, charity shops, deprivation, drugs, homeless people sleeping in doorways...
Just another 'wealthy' English town in 2022.
I think many town centres are like that, 'wealthy' area is a misnomer, those people dont mix with the plebs who live in the middle of town. Services even in 'wealthy' areas have been cut to the bone as well, its pretty **** everywhere tbh.

Associate
Sister in law lives in Bromley, when i drove to her house, mattresses just dumped, bins overflowing and just mess everywhere.

"Oh yea its always like this"
I asked why she didnt phone the council and she just glared at me.

Her neighbour parked his destruction derby car on a trailer infront of her house, she told me how shes getting annoyed with it being there all the time. She tried to stop me knocking on his door.
Even when he answered i think he thought i was going to shiv him.

"Hiya mate, sister is doing her front garden up, any chance you can leave your trailer elsewhere?," To my knowledge i dont think to this day he's parked in front of her house.

Phoned the council, same day they sent a squad around litter picking and shifting the bulk.

Had a nice pub near the train station tho.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
One could think that based on some views here if you get rid of the ethnic minority population then these 'dumps' would magically become top class places.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with Scunthorpe :(

Back
Top Bottom